SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:16   #1
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Windows 2000 pro or XP pro?

What are the differences? I've used only Windows 98, and I've been offered Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro. What's Pro?

Can I keep my Windows 98 as is & available in case I prefer it, and add either or both 2000 & xp as options to play with from time to time?
How simple is this, I'm no pro?
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:46   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Depends on what you want to do and how much you want the mothership to know what you're doing.

XP - installation requires talking to MS. Change out hardware more than a handful of times and you'll be talking to their support people renegotiating your license.

2Kpro - no talking to the mothership and you can change out hardware every day for life and it doesn't care.

There are technical differences but to the standard home user, they're about ignorable. They're both more stable than 98, better separation of userspace and kernel space and more secure generally.

DanH
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 13:29   #3
BLiTzNicK
Silent Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HerrGlock

XP - installation requires talking to MS. Change out hardware more than a handful of times and you'll be talking to their support people renegotiating your license.

DanH
I have heard this time and time again, but have never seen it personally. I have at least 200 XP Pro machines at work, and have replaced nics, video cards, sound cards, etc with parts from our "graveyard" machines, and never have had to call Microsoft.

I just replaced the CDROM, Video Card, Nic, and an STI Caller, on one machine (water damage), and did not have any problems, other than finding the driver for the STI caller (older version).

Is it just an XP Home problem, because I've never had to replace hardware in one of those systems?
Old 07-31-2004, 15:10   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally posted by BLiTzNicK

Is it just an XP Home problem, because I've never had to replace hardware in one of those systems?
I believe it's a Home thing. I'll check it out but I've had people at work who have had to do this. I'll ask them what version they're using.

DanH
Old 07-31-2004, 15:21   #5
PlethoraGreen

Quote:
I believe it's a Home thing. I'll check it out but I've had people at work who have had to do this. I'll ask them what version they're using.

DanH
Both the retail versions of Home and Pro require activation via internet. If you've gone over your allotted number of activations then you have to call to activate. I've done it, it was surprisingly pain free.

With the 200 or so machines I'm sure there's a site license being used in which case there is no activation. That's what I use at work too.

G23
G26
PlethoraGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 15:33   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally posted by PlethoraGreen
Both the retail versions of Home and Pro require activation via internet. If you've gone over your allotted number of activations then you have to call to activate. I've done it, it was surprisingly pain free.
That's what annoys me. It's none of their business after I have paid for the license, what machine it was on, that I changed out stuff a bazillion times, or anything else. I'll stick with WIN2K Pro for my vmware boxes.

DanH
Old 07-31-2004, 16:17   #7
chevrofreak

2K > XP
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 17:00   #8
berniew
Liberty

There is a difference between the 'box' version of XP Pro and the "Open License" or "Enterprise" version (site license). IIRC only box (retail) versions of XP require activation.

For the home user, get W2k Pro and Sygate firewall
Old 07-31-2004, 17:31   #9
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

IIRC, activation is required for all except (site licensed) corporate XP. Also IIRC, you can upgrade 6 components before reactivation is triggered but just 4 components if one of them is the NIC. No matter how many times you change video card, that’s still just 1 component, 1 upgrade. If you change HDD or reinstall the OS, all bets are off.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 21:25   #10
BLiTzNicK
Silent Member

Well, that explains it. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 21:27   #11
BLiTzNicK
Silent Member

Quote:
I'll stick with WIN2K Pro for my vmware boxes.

DanH
Not to drift too far off topic, but VMWare has got to be THE BEST piece of software ever written.
Old 07-31-2004, 21:28   #12
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Thanks for all the replies; looks like I should go for 2000.

Now, should I overwrite my Windows 98 or try to have both?
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 22:06   #13
berniew
Liberty

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuteTheMall
Thanks for all the replies; looks like I should go for 2000.

Any games dependent on Windows 98? How old is the system?

The best way to go is do a clean install (backup all data first, make sure you have all drivers and software handy)

You do not want to do an in place upgrade and dual boot is possible but IMO usually best avoided if possible.
Old 07-31-2004, 22:08   #14
chevrofreak

Quote:
Originally posted by BLiTzNicK
Not to drift too far off topic, but VMWare has got to be THE BEST piece of software ever written.

just dont try to uninstall it

Old 08-01-2004, 00:32   #15
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
...Now, should I overwrite my Windows 98 or try to have both?
I agree with berniew. Unless you have certain need for Win98, blow it away.

There is an upgrade path from Win98 to Win2K so you can install it on top of Win98 and retain the apps you already have installed. Unfortunately, it has to make compromises to support this backwards compatibility so you’re left with an OS installation that isn’t as good as it otherwise could be. Best to copy your important data elsewhere, blow away the original install and let Win2K start with a clean slate.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:49   #16
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak
just dont try to uninstall it
It uninstalls just fine:

rpm -e VMware-Workstation

and *poof* it's not there.

I think they sacrificed goats to get it to work as well as it does.

DanH
Old 08-01-2004, 06:20   #17
Harlequin
I need a weapon

Quote:
I went from 98SE to 2K and haven't found a single piece of software I used with 98 that didn't work with 2K.
Big Dawg #1254: G21 and G30
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." — The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:35   #18
chevrofreak

Quote:
It uninstalls just fine:

rpm -e VMware-Workstation

and *poof* it's not there.

I think they sacrificed goats to get it to work as well as it does.

DanH
I uninstalled it on 2k twice and both times it destroyed my network connectivity. Kept getting errors that were something like "An action was attemtped on something that was not a socket" or some such bs. Pissed me off.

Old 08-01-2004, 13:56   #19
BLiTzNicK
Silent Member

Quote:
I uninstalled it on 2k twice and both times it destroyed my network connectivity. Kept getting errors that were something like "An action was attemtped on something that was not a socket" or some such bs. Pissed me off.
Hmm, I'm like HerrGlock on this one, it's never given me a problem. I've installed it on RH7 and 9, and also on 2KPro and Server, as well as XP Home and Pro.
Old 08-01-2004, 15:31   #20
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
I uninstalled it on 2k twice
I think we found the problem...

Tech Talk

DanH