Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:30   #1
jundeleon

car gun

Is it necessary to keep a gun in your car?

Or is your everyday carry gun enough protection while driving around?

Whats the general rational behind having a car gun?
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:02   #2
Allegra

Re: car gun

Quote:
Originally posted by jundeleon
Is it necessary to keep a gun in your car?

Or is your everyday carry gun enough protection while driving around?

Whats the general rational behind having a car gun?
IMO, delikado
dami ko kakilala nabuksan ang car including mine!
keep it in y9ur person
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09   #3
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
My car gun is to have something available that is more potent and allows for more versatile use than the handguns I carry on my person. That means "small AR" in my book.

Handguns are only useful because we can always have them with us. They are best used for fighting your way back to wherever you left your rifle. ;f
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 21:13   #4
antediluvianist

I don't have a car gun but my driver weighs 250 pounds. If he goes down, I take care of his family. A win-win deal, Philippine-style.
Old 08-02-2004, 21:35   #5
batangueno
Shock Resist

Allegra's right, don't leave your gun in the car.;L
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 23:17   #6
cznayr
Dis-member

Send a message via Yahoo to cznayr
I agree with you guys, delikado.. dami na kong kilalang nanakawan ng mga baril sa kotse...
cznayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:35   #7
julianz
toxic master

Re: Re: car gun

Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra
IMO, delikado
dami ko kakilala nabuksan ang car including mine!
keep it in y9ur person

i agree with Allegra , it is impractical to leave your boomer in your car , my nephew had his pistol and a bunch of his belongings stolen from his car in a church parking lot isang oras lang naman ang mass he took a leak outside in the middle of the ceremony ayon bukas na kotse nya, and mind you the hazzles of investigation is unbearable. just carry it concealed for a peace of your mind..i do..
julianz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:52   #8
Alexii
Janeway Forever

If one is licensed to carry, I don't see the reason why you'd leave the gun in the car most of the time. I said most of the time because some establishments such as some malls require a trip to their security office to have your license/permit logged. A real hassle if you just plan to buy one item real quick and hightail out of there.

I think if we should ever need to leave a gun inside a car, at least choose the parking space and invest in a good alarm system (read: Clifford). Invest in a steering wheel lock-- this says to the thief "it's not going to be easy, so look elsewhere". They might be able to bypass the alarm and the steering wheel lock somehow, but it's going to take time. Seconds count for these scumbags. They like to stack the odds in their favor and will always look for the "soft target". Quick and low-risk entry/high yield kind of operation. Make it difficult for them.

Never give any indication that there are valuables inside the car. Dead giveaways are shooting muffs, target boards, checkbooks, cellphone cases (even if empty), PDAs, and bags.

Sometimes, avoiding becoming a victim is possible by simple, precautionary measures.

BOG #13
Alexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 17:31   #9
rhino465

When I think of "car gun," I think of a gun that is for the car (whether you leave it there all the time or not) that is in addition to what you carry on your person. A car gun complements what you carry; it does not replace your carry weapon.

In that regard, it can serve as a backup, something for a passenger to use in an emergency, or offer attributes that your carry weapon lacks (like long range or more a more powerful projectile).
Old 08-03-2004, 22:54   #10
jojo_G19

Send a message via Yahoo to jojo_G19
YES, allegra is right,

i know this 1 guy...he left his glock sa car nya, pag balik nya, la na yung car nya...babay Glock19

;z jojo;z
jojo_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:56   #11
batangueno
Shock Resist

Rhino, i'm just curious. In the U.S., does one need any permit to transport his/her firearm/s to/from the house and range? Can you just leave a shotgun in your trunk and go anywhere even without a CCW permit?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:34   #12
cznayr
Dis-member

Send a message via Yahoo to cznayr
permission to butt in,

sa U.S. depende sa state, may mahigpit katulad ng washington na sobrang higpit.. sa staete na to, kailngan ng permit sa baril at kahit may permit at nasa bahay ang baril mo kailangan unloaded.. The residents are trying to appeal kasi nga naman walang silbi sa baril nila.. So maymga permits per state.. yung permit mo sa Texas di kikilalanin sa New York
cznayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:50   #13
andrewchurchill

What the H*ll is this language?

sa U.S. depende sa state, may mahigpit katulad ng washington na sobrang higpit.. sa staete na to, kailngan ng permit sa baril at kahit may permit at nasa bahay ang baril mo kailangan unloaded.. The residents are trying to appeal kasi nga naman walang silbi sa baril nila.. So maymga permits per state..

I've seen a lot of this recently. What type of language is it?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:58   #14
julianz
toxic master

Re: What the H*ll is this language?

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewchurchill
sa U.S. depende sa state, may mahigpit katulad ng washington na sobrang higpit.. sa staete na to, kailngan ng permit sa baril at kahit may permit at nasa bahay ang baril mo kailangan unloaded.. The residents are trying to appeal kasi nga naman walang silbi sa baril nila.. So maymga permits per state..

I've seen a lot of this recently. What type of language is it?
its what we call TAGlish - Tagalog and English combine - Tagalog(Pilipino) Language of Filipinos( Native of the Philippines)

This is the interpretation in English.
" In the U.S. - gun permits to carry varry from state to state, In Washington gun permits to carry is so strict even if you have a permit and you are at home the permit stipulates that you have to have your gun unloaded...The residents are trying to appeal since its useless to have a gun that is unloaded even inside the home.
In short gun law/ permits differ from state to state.
Old 08-04-2004, 13:52   #15
vega

Quote:
Originally posted by batangueno
Rhino, i'm just curious. In the U.S., does one need any permit to transport his/her firearm/s to/from the house and range? Can you just leave a shotgun in your trunk and go anywhere even without a CCW permit?
Here in CA you don't need a PTT to transport your firearm/s. If its a handgun, it should be in a locked container with no ammo in it. Ammo should be separated from the handgun. If its a rifle and not considered assault, you don't need a container or case for it as long as its unloaded.

vega
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 15:24   #16
horge
Lifetime Membership
-=-=-=-=-

Well, let's ask this yet again...

Is a permit required to have a loaded handgun in your car, aka car gun, but not on (nor meant ot be on) your person? Is a car gun technically CCW? I'm asking about the US, as in, various parts thereof.

I'm aware of some places (Chi-town, IL for one) where mere transport of an unloaded weapon can expose you to harrassment and suit.

Here in the Philippines, yes, a transport permit allows only unloaded weapons --with mags/ammo stored in a separate compartment of the vehicle (trunk and cabin, typically), so the relevance to the 'car gun' issue is kind of thin --unless you mean to cheat on what the permit allows.

-BoG Hog #12
-Model 1911 Club member #111
horge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 20:00   #17
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by batangueno
As was mentioned, it varies significantly from state to state. I can speak only for Indiana and those states with substantially similar laws.

Here in Indiana, the law is mostly silent with respect to the carry and transport of long guns. I can have a shotgun or rifle in my car or truck, loaded or unloaded, pretty much any time I want. There are some vague restrictions pertaining to hunting and offroad vehicles, but I do not carry a hunting license, so those laws do not apply to me. ;f

Handguns are a bit different. While Indiana overall has some of the best (most lenient) gun laws in the country (or the world), you need a License to Carry Handgun whether you choose to carry it loaded or just transport it, even unloaded and locked in your trunk. Exceptions are: remaining on private property; going to and from place of work; going to and from the gun shop or gunsmith for repair or return. For any other time you have your handgun, you need a license. That's not good, but the good part is that 1) pretty much anyone who can legally own a gun can get an Indiana License to Carry Handgun since we have a "shall issue" law; and 2) Indiana recognizes as valid all licenses from all the other 49 states AND ALL FOREIGN COUNTRIES.

So if any kababayans want to visit Indiana and you have a license from your home state or country, you can carry (concealed or open) or transport in Indiana without any worries. It's your choice!
Old 08-05-2004, 00:15   #18
batangueno
Shock Resist

So it really varies per state. Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:34   #19
julianz
toxic master

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465

The good part is that 1) pretty much anyone who can legally own a gun can get an Indiana License to Carry Handgun since we have a "shall issue" law; and 2) Indiana recognizes as valid all licenses from all the other 49 states AND ALL FOREIGN COUNTRIES.

So if any kababayans want to visit Indiana and you have a license from your home state or country, you can carry (concealed or open) or transport in Indiana without any worries. It's your choice!
Thats cool ;Y