Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:01   #21
casmot
Re membered

Before I started joining competition I was a little scared of my gun. I would go to an indoor range and finish 50 rounds as fast as I could ;I. Heck, all I know was the basic gun handling stuff. After joining my first IDPA competition (thanks eyecutter ;W) I was addicted. It was fun, you get to learn but most important, I started to trust my gun. It was no longer a bomb. It became just a tool that you don't have to be afraid of, if you use it properly.

Originally posted by Allegra
IMO, the biggest advantage of IPSC competition is that it trains you to be able to think on your feet. Sa ipsc, your shooting, moving, changing mags etc while simultaneously engaging static and moving targets in the fastest order under pressure. Ang hirap nun! Lalo na when there are jams, reengages , missed activators etc.
The basic skills become automatic freeing your mind to think of other things ( like tactics ).
Di ba advantage yun sa fight?

I agree. After a while it all becomes second nature.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:16   #22
9MX
Rei!

I compete because:

1. IPSC shooting is a childhood dream
2. I've always been fascinated by guns
3. I like the confidence it gives me knowing that should the need arises, i have a higher probability of hitting a perp;f
The bonus is..hanging out with BOGs and learn new things in the process
Old 08-03-2004, 09:20   #23
Eye Cutter

over confidence?

problema ko ngayon, wala na yung kaba ko when i'm on the line. i'm so used to the experience that it does not matter who're watching me or how i'd do in a stage.

competitive shooting makes you think on your feet, fast! just like when you're on the street. and that is a good thing. nagiging second nature na ang gun handling skills mo, e. wherever you look and whenever you present your pistol, naka align na agad sights mo. nagiging automatic. and that is also another good thing...

it is my opinion that those who compete, even if they don't win, are much more confident and capable with their firearms.

yun lang

;K

Last edited by Eye Cutter; 08-03-2004 at 09:23..
Eye Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23   #24
9MX
Rei!

Re: over confidence?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye Cutter

it is my opinion that those who compete, even if they don't win, are much more confident and capable with their firearms.

yun lang

;K
korek! we become more one with the gun

too many minds....no mind
Old 08-03-2004, 09:26   #25
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Quote:
Originally posted by bulm540
I'd rather be with an IPSC shooter than with anybody else when sh^% happens.

I agree with Remo. How practical IPSC is (or is not) depends entirely on the mindset of the individual shooting the matches. Being able to shoot very quickly and accurately as well as engage multiple targets is a very valuable set of skills that you simply can't develop to the same degree anywhere else. Certainly there is more to defensive or combat shooting, but you learn those things elsewhere.

Here is an example of an A-class USPSA shooter handling the situation:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...e000014014.txt
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 15:53   #26
jerrytrini

IPSC

That's why I shoot IPSC. Competition shooting makes me think (really fast) on my feet.
Clearing a structure e.g. house, business, warehouse etc is a tedious task for LEO's. Each section of a structure is a threat no matter how trivial it may be. Be aware of your 180 when crossing a threshold, if something tells you "Don't" then DON'T. If the hair in the back of your neck suddenly suddenly stand up, DON'T cross that threshold.
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 17:19   #27
bulm540

Quote:
Originally posted by doctabako
There's another thread here in GT related to this topic which is now 55 pages long with more than 1,200 replies entitled A good competitor does not a gunfighter make and the replies range from amiable to hostile indicating the controversy and passion that this topic entails to some people.

My take on this is that engaging in gun games IS trigger time(Fun time, the best kind ;f) and as they say practice makes perfect. If you're methodical enough in your approach,huge rewards can be gleaned from diligent practice as opposed to those who compete just to throw slugs downrange without regard to improving how they do it.
A good competitor should be under no illusion that what he is doing will automatically make him a better gun fighter when the SHTF as various things do come to play and some people aren't wired for fighting(some become passive and/or take flight). Engaging in gun games will make you better prepared as you become proficient with the use of your weapon and conversely your limitations with it as well. All of which will serve you in good stead when you develop the mindset and summon enough courage to use it when necessary.
That's according to the tactical Ninjas.
Old 08-03-2004, 17:28   #28
JuDGe

Send a message via Yahoo to JuDGe
Compete To Live

Testing defensive handgun skills in a sporting environment
By Walt Rauch

A good read.....
JuDGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 18:59   #29
Eye Cutter

why do we own guns? the final answer almost always boils down to a defensive reasoning for having one.

how you master your chosen tool, to each his own way. the bottom line is, you should be able to use it on demand without second thoughts or apprehension...

Old 08-03-2004, 23:14   #30
cznayr
Dis-member

Send a message via Yahoo to cznayr
I dread the day that I have to use my gun. But if ever that time comes I hope that I can incorporate all the skills that I learned. So guys, pakituruan po ako

Any one who bought a gun and thinks that all there is to it is pulling the trigger will be in a big surprise when it's time to do so.

So mga parekoy practice lang
cznayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 00:02   #31
agentrod

Quote:
I dread the day that I have to use my gun. But if ever that time comes I hope that I can incorporate all the skills that I learned. So guys, pakituruan po ako
I share the same sentiments as canayr... I dread the day that I have to use it, but that it the reason why I bought it - to protect my family.

I'm learing a lot from this (and other) forums, I was at Northstar yesterday and still have those nasty "flicking" when I start shooting, after a few coaching (again) seem to correct it. I wonder when I will be in the state of "second nature" na sa akin yung draw-chamber-aim-shoot.
agentrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 00:34   #32
antediluvianist

Population pressures will inevitably increase local crime, even if overall economic parameters do not decline too much because OFWs can continue to find work abroad (if that ever becomes difficult, look out!)At the present rate of growth- and there is no indication at all that it is slowing - the population of the Philippines will be 210 million by the year 2050. That's almost three times as many people as already exist, and we are already straining basic services such as housing , sanitation, and education.

My longer-range plan is to sell off my family's 2 houses and just keep everybody in a guarded condo.

Even then, familiarity with how to use a handgun will be important. One never knows. And a guarded condo is no protection once one leaves the condo.

Most cops are not like that guy Corpuz who killed the three bus robbers. Most cops won't even be around, or will arrive late, or will be relatively unhelpful/even harmful (I regretted ever having called them after a burglary- they just kept dropping by asking for money "to help with the investigation". I've experienced several incidents like that. Cops generally suck. So do fiscals.)
Old 08-04-2004, 06:25   #33
darwin25
Make your move

Quote:
the bigger the distance, mas advantage sa ipsc shooter
but contrary to IPSC shooters I see on the range and competitions, laging pasugod sila sa target. I am yet to see an IPSC course where a shooter shoots while gaining distance from his targets

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to all the defensive mindset junkies:

so how do you hone your skills in the local setting?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, who are calling a junkie?;f

I have nothing against IPSC. I think its fun. I dont have anything against IDPA either but I think its very dogmatic in its principles.

Practice? Mostly a few rounds on the range (but not lately) and some shooting drills with buddies. I always see to it that I practice my own repetitions.

Hey I like hanging out with the BOGS although most of the time I cant.

So when is the next funshoot and non-shoot meet?
darwin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:15   #34
bulm540

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
I agree with Remo. How practical IPSC is (or is not) depends entirely on the mindset of the individual shooting the matches. Being able to shoot very quickly and accurately as well as engage multiple targets is a very valuable set of skills that you simply can't develop to the same degree anywhere else. Certainly there is more to defensive or combat shooting, but you learn those things elsewhere.

Here is an example of an A-class USPSA shooter handling the situation:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...e000014014.txt
Sounds like an IPSC speed shoot. Who says IPSC ain't practical. Looks like a C and D hit.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:45   #35
Allegra

My longer-range plan is to sell off my family's 2 houses and just keep everybody in a guarded condo.

Even then, familiarity with how to use a handgun will be important. One never knows. And a guarded condo is no protection once one leaves the condo.

umm...nothing is safe kahit condo
at the cost of a gallon of gas lang and styrofoam, a bg can just lob some molotovs.
Water from the sprinkler system will just spread the gas
san ko kaya nakukuha mga ideas ko ? hehe

Most cops are not like that guy Corpuz who killed the three bus robbers. Most cops won't even be around, or will arrive late, or will be relatively unhelpful/even harmful (I regretted ever having called them after a burglary- they just kept dropping by asking for money "to help with the investigation". I've experienced several incidents like that. Cops generally suck. So do fiscals.) [/B][/QUOTE]

hehe
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53   #36
Allegra

quote:
the bigger the distance, mas advantage sa ipsc shooter

but contrary to IPSC shooters I see on the range and competitions, laging pasugod sila sa target. I am yet to see an IPSC course where a shooter shoots while gaining distance from his targets

a true ipsc shooter can shoot pa urong, pa side ways, while clinging to a rope with either hand, while contorted like a ppretzel etc.

maganda yung comparison ni Brian enos if I remember correctly
tacticians are like rescue swimmers while ipsc shooters are the olympic swimmers
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02   #37
Alexii
Janeway Forever

Quote:
maganda yung comparison ni Brian enos if I remember correctly
tacticians are like rescue swimmers while ipsc shooters are the olympic swimmers
Di yata magandang analogy yan--

Rescue swimmers = performs CPRs, wears cool orange shorts and Aviators

Olympic swimmers = tested consistently for drugs, shave their legs, ...

Sorry Allegra, can't help it. Peace, man.;f

BOG #13
Alexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:11   #38
Eye Cutter

Quote:
you know what i really appreciate learning in ipsc shooting? i can shoot with confidence while moving forward both walking and at a run, paatras, sideways, naka-dapa, naka-squat, kneeling, nakasilip sa ilalim ng drum, sa mga butas, while baluktot likod, sitting, nakapulupot sa barricade, while on a swaying bridge, 1 hand, one foot up, with both feet up, etc.

tama ba fafa allegra?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:38   #39
jerrytrini

IPSC

Norco IPSC had a stage a few months ago, where the shooter had to shoot a set of targets approx 45 degrees to his left and another array to his right while stepping back. A local match organizer has the option to design such course of fire or similar. Hindi nga lang "safe" because the RO has to run much faster backwards than the shooter.
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:51   #40
Allegra

Quote:
you know what i really appreciate learning in ipsc shooting? i can shoot with confidence while moving forward both walking and at a run, paatras, sideways, naka-dapa, naka-squat, kneeling, nakasilip sa ilalim ng drum, sa mga butas, while baluktot likod, sitting, nakapulupot sa barricade, while on a swaying bridge, 1 hand, one foot up, with both feet up, etc.

tama ba fafa allegra?

plus when caught in a gunfight,you learn na maganda magtago sa likod ng popper. ang hirap tamaan nun eh