Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2004, 14:46   #1
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
no sound after card installation - any ideas

Okay, I got a new computer last christmas, and ever since then, I've been using the onboard (motherboard) sound card. In my old computer I had a good old soundblaster live 5.1.

Today I finally had enough of sometimes scratchy audio in games and whatnot. So I went over to my old computer and cracked it open. The operation was a success and the soundcard was out. So I gently pre-op'ed my new computer and gingerly slid the old sblive into a pci slot.

It appears to be fully seated. Put the cover back on, loaded the comp up, it picked up the windows drivers, asked me to reboot. Did that. Nothing. The sound is still being piped through the motherboard plug, nothing from the sblive plug.

So I figure maybe the (soundblaster) software would redirect the sound correctly to that device instead of the motherboard plug. Download and install the latest sblive software, reboot, STILL nothing.

The motherboard works fine, but the sblive is dead air. Any guesses?

Would I have to fool with the devices page to get it to point to the right sound output device? Should it be piping it to both and playing from whichever is plugged in (meaning the card maybe just crapped out). I could always run to CC and pick up the latest and greatest cheapie SC, but I don't want to do that unless I know the thing is just dead.

Should it be pointing at one output or the other, would it pipe to both, what?

I did change the the cd-in line from the motherboard to the sblive, but even when I put a CD in (as opposed to mp3s) it still goes to the motherboard.

D.E.
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 14:52   #2
Ripper_1394
Need a Ride?

Which jack is you speakers plug into? The one on the motherboard, or on the sb card?
Ripper_1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 14:54   #3
chevrofreak

In the BIOS disable onboard sound.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 14:58   #4
Garr
Be Prepared

You may also want to check if you need to change a jumper on the motherboard. My IBM from a while back required a jumper change if a new PCI vid card was installed or it wouldn't look for it.

SMSgt - USAFR
Garr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 16:33   #5
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripper_1394
Which jack is you speakers plug into? The one on the motherboard, or on the sb card?
Right now, the MoBo, cause that's where there's info coming out of the PC and into the speakers, but when I was trying it, it was plugged into the SB card, in the speaker jack (it has several others, and so I triple checked that I WAS in fact putting it in the right jack on the card.

Probably one of the other two gents hit it. I'll check that stuff eventually, don't feel like messing with the bios right now (after all, pretty much everything works as is, just would be better with the actual card), and if it comes down to jumpers, I'll let my buddy who built it figure it out ;f After all, that's what I'm friends with him for

;a
D.E.
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 20:14   #6
Grabbrass

I agree with chevro .. you need to disable the onboard sound in BIOS. It's overriding your card.