Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2004, 22:01   #1
kestrou
Pin Member #4

Send a message via Yahoo to kestrou

Doom3 Platform?

I'm a Doom-er from way back and know that Doom3 was just released - dying to pick it up! What would be the better platform: PC or PlayStationII?

kestrou
Niner #2112 / Wheelhouse #2112 / Rimfire #2112 / 10-Ring #2113 / Sub-Club #2111 / Bull Dawg #2112 / 10mm Reloader #2113 / 1911 #2112
10mm: Because you never get a second chance to make a first impression!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
kestrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 00:06   #2
chevrofreak

Depends how fast your computer is. mine is a 2.25ghz Athlon with 512mb RAM and a 128mb GeForce4 Ti4200-8x that is highly overclocked, and this game kicks the crap out of my system.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 18:59   #3
Creeper1313
Aequitas

I am usually not so shallow when it comes to games... but for Doom 3 I'll make an exception. It is great, because it is pretty. Take away the visuals, and it's nothing particularly new. It uses lighting and texturing that the PS2 can't come close to rendering. It uses darkness and shadows to spook you... take that element away and it's just another shoot-em-up.

The PS2 is nearing the end of it's life cycle. Doom 3 will be hard pressed to run on PCs with specs dated back further than 2 years...and the PS2 is 5 year old hardware. My PC goes back almost that far... but I've upgraded almost everything in it besides the motherboard and the processor in the last few years.

If they do a good job porting it, the Xbox version will fare a bit better than the PS2... just look at the Chronicles of Riddick game to see the muscle still left in the Xbox. However, it's hardware is also aging and just can't compete with a top of the line PC of 0-2 years ago.

For reference...
my PC: 1.7 ghz p4, 768 mb ram, Radeon 9800 pro 128mb.
D3 settings: 800x600, 2nd highest of the 4 graphics settings, 2x anti-aliasing, every effect on but v-synch.

Despite the relatively low resolution I have it set to, the AA, lighting, shadows, and textures make it prettier than every other FPS game on the market in most respects (IMO). The framerates are just high enough to be playable without too much stuttering.

With that in mind, you should have a good idea of how well your PC can handle the game.

As for the PS2 version as an alternative... having not seen it in action, I can't say outright that won't be worth buying to get a taste of the PC experience (though I think there's a good chance it won't be). I suspect it will not be vastly superior to other FPS on the PS2... in fact, it is my experience that PC FPS ports fare quite poorly compared to FPS games that were designed from scratch to be on consoles - Timesplitters 2 is a good example of a great console-designed FPS - as is Halo. Games need to be designed with the limitations of a controller in mind vs. the mouse and keyboard.

That said, if your PC is as good or better than mine, go for it on PC! If not... I'd definately rent before buying on PS2.

Last edited by Creeper1313; 08-09-2004 at 19:06..
Creeper1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 00:28   #4
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
It will look fugly on PS2 OR XBox. Their late-Nineties hardware cannot perform the requisite bitmapping, bumpmapping, pixel-shading and lighting effects for shucks.

If you want the eye-candy, it's PC all the way.

Runs great on my machine...;+

Best regards,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote