SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2004, 13:30   #26
Bill73

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDog
In my book you can't beat a German Shepherd as being the best all around dog...my dog don't miss a trick...

DD~
Great Dogs! If the wife would consent to it I have two also.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Bill73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 20:26   #27
lm921
The Stampede

Border collie

Most any dog will do but a Border collie is a great pet and friend. we have a small border collie, a sheltie and a mini poodle. The border collie is the best by far
Niners club member#921,G17 NPv.40cal club Member#921,G23c.BlueGrass Glockers Member.#921 :)
"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)
lm921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:53   #28
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
She only barks when needed. It is a pretty fierce bark too. She won't atttack. She barks so I can.

MF
I can see the abuse going on in all 3 of their faces!!! Look at that!!! ;f ;a ;c ;c
Old 08-16-2004, 05:31   #29
antediluvianist

dachsies

Dachshund. Very loyal. Hates strangers. Fierce, was bred to fight badgers (twice its weight.) Good barker.
Old 08-16-2004, 20:21   #30
Petra

Send a message via AIM to Petra
Let me second the vote for Dachshunds. I've got three that let me know anytime something is going on outside. And lord help the person that comes to the door. They are big dogs in little bodies. The best description that I've heard is that they have Rottweiler engines on a Dachshund chasis. I have 1 standard size doxie and 2 tweenies (somewhere between standard and mini). If you just heard the standard one bark, you would swear that he was a huge dog.

As far as protection goes, may or may not work. Doxies fall into 2 categories. Those that like everybody and those that don't like anyone outside their family. We have 2 that love everyone. Then there's Junior. Junior has issues. We just got him from the SPCA at Christmas. He doesn't like anyone except my wife and I. He feels like he has to protect us for everyone and everything. He went after the neighbors Rottie because it got too close to his "mom." He also nipped a neighbor. Neighbor's fault. We told him that Junior would nip him but he reached down by Jr's mouth anyway. But we're working on him. Like the original poster, I don't look to my dogs for protection. Just to let me know that something is going on.

Mark
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:06   #31
jfecteau
ActionHandguns

Send a message via AIM to jfecteau
nhglocker,

I also agree that is more of a training issue with a dog and not specific to a breed. Pick the breed that you like and fits your lifestyle. A GSD or a Rott would be great as they are highly trainable but if all you want is some barking when someone unknown comes to the door a small dog would work great. I am also in NH and I work with a great trainer for my dogs. He breeds Champion Shutzhund German Shepards and is great with dogs. His name is John Wilkens from Windy Hill Kennels. He is located in Gilmanton which is between Laconia and Concord. Give him a call if you have any questions and he could help you with your decision. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions or need help finding breeders in the area.

Windy Hill Kennels
Visit Action Handguns to find all of the products you need for your Glock, 1911, and all other handguns. One of the largest selection of Knives on the Internet. Check us out! Large selection of products and great prices. We now carry Sidearmor Holsters and accessories. Lowest Prices around.
jfecteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 21:31   #32
gsbell
Consumed

Quote:
Originally posted by FThorn
I wonder what breed smells the least. And, I'd wonder this from the view of people that VISIT the dog owners; since the owners themselves have probably gotten used to the smells in their own house.
I'm highly allergic to dogs and cats. My own yorkie and a friends yorkie have never given me a bit of "nose" trouble. Neither mine or our friends houses smell like "dog". I know what you are talking about though. My parents will even dog sit at their place for our little guy, they wouldn't if he smelled.
As a bonus he is a barking maniac when people walk by the house let alone up the driveway.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:59   #33
ducati

Jack Russell Terrier. I have 2. The female knows everything that goes on around my house. I know her bark when it is another animal or a person. They also sound so vicious that I don't have problems with the JWs.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:22   #34
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

Quote:
Originally posted by protozo1
Great Danes. Mine bark when they hear something out of sorts. It's a big booming heavy bark and most people that come to the door step back up 2 or 3 steps just when they hear the bark. They back up more when the dogs come to the door and are eye to eye with them. As companions you couldn't ask for more loyal loving dogs. But being a large breed the vet bills are higher and transport and general care requires a bigger vehicle and more time. I would do some heavy research in any breed you select so you get one that fits you best.
Amen
I have two
Old 08-22-2004, 09:15   #35
PzGren

German Shepherds are good guard dogs, but they need grooming and be kept busy.

My Doberman is the best guard dog I ever owned but also the most time consuming , aggressive, very loving, and most difficult dog. All in one package.

A Rottweiler is a pretty maintenance-free guard dog. The power of the bite is remarkable, my female could crack coconuts open at 96 lbs. Even my 170lbs male Great Dane could not do that.

As a small guard dog the Standard Schnauzer is unbeatable in my opinion. For an alarm dog a Miniature Schnauzer is also good choice, or the before mentioned Standard Poodle.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 00:30   #36
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I have had 2 rotts,and they are amazing guard/watch dogs.They were both like having radar,a very deep growl and a hurt your ears deep bark.My 2 were females.I talked to a lady once that had a female--someone tried to jimmy the front door--the dog ran and tried to jump through the really thick stain glass door--bent it out--guy ran off.German shepards are also really great dogs--grew up with one--they react alot like rotts--very good guard instinct.A buddy of mine had one--it had bitten 2 people in its life that entered the property--nothing to mess with.It was a large male.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 00:41   #37
ReAX222

We he was awake, my rott kept everyone away from my house. Sleeping was a different story, but atleast he slept by the front door. If anyone tryed to open it they would have to move him. The most important thing when picking a dog, is get one that will listen.

I don't know, I've never seen a car that looks like that before, it looks like a uh... like a big cat of some kind.
...What like a puma?
ReAX222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 23:31   #38
AlexTheShotgunn

I'll vote for terriers the larger ones (kerry blues,airdales) are very VERY energetic,smaller ones(scotties,westies,carins) are very feirce. My mother has a westie that can take most any dog i've seen includeing my sisters 200lb wolfhound. As far as pure scare factor a male wolfhound is a very scary dog indeed 200+ pounds and a bark and growl that will paralize most people with fear. They were after all used to kill wolves in the middle ages.
AlexTheShotgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:04   #39
loandr.

Boer Boel's..... Hands down

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....ight=boer+boel

feel free to check out my old pic post :-)
Loandr.
loandr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 14:41   #40
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Boerboels are neeto!

Just got mine!
Old 09-03-2004, 14:48   #41
loandr.

TOOOOO CUTE !!!!!!!!

what a beauty!!!!!!Congrat's....whom was the breeder :-) Hold them in your arms while you still can :-) I miss the cradling days....How old ?
Loandr.
Old 09-03-2004, 14:52   #42
scowan007
memberrific!!!

loandr,

THanks! Stonegate Ignatius (Iggy to you and me) is 9 weeks, 15 lbs. He is from Annette Alexander in NC. Believe one of the parents was from M. Proffer. I need to go back and check my notes.

Where are your beauties from (I checked your other thread and saw the pics)?
Old 09-03-2004, 14:53   #43
Glockinhand

go for a small dog that has lots of energy. some small dogs just mope around and woof at strange noises. a small dog like a jack russell or terrier will yap their heads off at strange sounds. my chiapom is getting old and doesn't "explode" at strange sounds much anymore. gotta get a new one.
Glockinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 14:58   #44
loandr.

Cool

Dan Huffman from Crystal River...BUT do to health reason on Dans part he is no longer breeding. He is a "Blackwell" student :-) and I know YOU know whom that is :-) How cute. Nandi and Shaka Zulu were the rents, The amazing thing isa if raised by hand ( we got ours at 8 wk....or a bit less :-) the are the most gentle creatures :-) Best of luck and take us up on that "PM" you'll need the advise trust me its a handful :-)
Loandr.
Loandr.
Old 09-03-2004, 15:00   #45
loandr.

Barking....how said barking :-)

My kids "ROAR" ....not bark :-)....Loandr.
Old 09-03-2004, 15:06   #46
cgilbert

Send a message via AIM to cgilbert

jefecteau, I love your avatar! But now that you have your own Rottie, time to put her up on it.

nhglocker, my preference would be a Rottie. I had one that was fantastic. I invested some time and $ along the way with John @ Windy Hills, which you would want to do anyways especially if you got a "high speed dog", albeit a Rottie or Shephard. John's really into the Shephards.

Anyways, you can take a dog just about as far as you want to. My girl was specifically trained to go to the door anytime that anyone came to it. (that was just part of her training) I always felt my wife and daughters were safe when I wasn't home. Imagine being greated by a 90 lb Rotweiller. She wouldn't bark unless the situation warranted. She was docile and great with the kids, but when I "turned her on" she was pure business. I have no doubt she'd die taking care of me or my family.

Anyways, however you decide to go, good luck to you. Even a mutt that has some level of intelligence could provide for you. I do recommend some professional training, even if only from the obedience side of things.
cgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 18:35   #47
nhglocker

Thanks all for the responses
Some great pics of handsome animals too!

Anyway I think I will probably lean towards getting a German Shepard now. Anybody know how much a healthy pup would go for?

Again, thanks everyone for the posts.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:36   #48
cgilbert

Send a message via AIM to cgilbert

It's always best to do your research on breeders in the area. Ask around different breeders, vets, trainers. Stay away from the pet stores and puppy mills. Give John a call, I know he'd be receptive to answering any questions you may have.
cgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:46   #49
scowan007
memberrific!!!

I know there are some German Shepherd experts here who can speak more knowledgeably about this, but I have read a lot of complaints from GSD people that the AKC has ruined the breed and turned a good working dog into a useless show dog. Apparently it is tough to find GSDs in the states that are "true" to the breed. I hope the experts see this and chime in!
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 18:02   #50
jerryd

Jack Russell Terrier! My 14lb has no fear!!! the bigger the dog the faster she goes after it, she lets me know when the leafs are falling,birds in the back yard. also HD motorcycles,must be th tone of the engine!!
jerryd is offline   Reply With Quote