Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2004, 17:35   #21
G20man32904
Deceased

FT,
I hear ya
Let me try to get you some answers.
As far as smell, well that comes from things like brands of food, type of shampoo used, how often, etc. Bottom line, feed good quality food, (I tell people, "if you can buy it in a grocery store, you can do better"). Shampoo's same thing, stay away from Hartz, stick with middle of the road type products from a pet store and nothing too harsh. What I use, I can bathe my dog weekly and it wont hurt him. Some of the stronger shampoos you can't do that and will cause itching and flaking of the skin. I would also stick with a short hair breed or any breed that has to get groomed (clipped). Schnauzers, Cockapoo's, Poodle's, Jack Russell's, etc.

Quote:
any breed better/worse around loud noises
Ok I know I will get flamed for this, (but that's ok) but here goes.
Look for a stable dog. While looking at puppies drop some keys around them and if goes ok, work up to louder noises from a distance going up to a portable type boat horn at say 40 ft. What you are looking for is a non-reaction. Not necessarily disinterest but not running away cowering with tail embedded in its stomach and not aggressive. Somewhere in the middle.
Here is the where the flames will come. Dogs do not "turn" on their masters ever. This is my professional opinion backed up by actual experience working with dogs and owners. Aggressive dogs push their Alpha to see who is in charge and to see if they can "win" some dominance. If they do "win" AND the owner tries to get the dog to do something that they don’t want to do, the dog will usually give a warning snap or bite. However in my experience the dog has given many clues before this incident happens.

Quote:
Has a police dog ever been known to lose it and turn on his master during a ruckus or gunfight?
I am sure this has happened somewhere at sometime, but I seriously would not worry about it.
These working dogs spend the first 2 years of their lives learning their jobs and most perform flawlessly. If you are thinking about getting a "high speed" type of working dog, then you too will have hundreds of hours of training ahead of you and will learn how to handle your dog in all kinds of scenerios.
Quote:
Or, not be able to be healed if attacking a BG?
This is referred to as the "out" command. In professional type "high speed" dogs, working this is a double edged sword. If the out isn't worked enough or properly the dog will not want to out properly. If it is overworked, the dogs willingness to bite will be diminished.
Again this is only the working type dogs from say you local K-9 program. If you are talking about going to your local breeder and picking up a Rott or GSD from a show dog background dont worry about it. Again in my experience, most of these dogs will NOT bite an intruder... (nomex on)
Clients would tell me all the time "oh my dog will protect me if something were to happen". I would say ok lets try it and put the bite suit on and walk into the house unannounced (to the dog) on the next lesson and start yelling and screaming. Bottom line I never had a dog take a serious bite yet. Because that takes training by a professional trainer and time. I would tell most people use your dog as an alarm and teach him that the leave blowing across the yard is not a threat but the guy sneaking around the front door is!! It wont be long before the dog can distinguish someone walking down the sidewalk and someone jiggling your door handle!!
I hope this helps you out and feel free to pm me for more info.
I dont want to hijack this thread anymore than I have...;f
Old 08-12-2004, 21:23   #22
DoubleDog
Grrrrr.....

In my book you can't beat a German Shepherd as being the best all around dog...my dog don't miss a trick...

DD~
Some of my best friends are dogs...
DoubleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 18:18   #23
nhglocker

G20man,

Sounds like you have some experience, I especially like the key dropping suggestion. Since you brought it up how would one train a dog to distinguish between squirrell in yard vs. stranger at door?

After reading these posts my personal choice would be a german shepard however I will need to get a bigger place first I think. My Grandfather trained this breed back in WW2 and owed his life to one.

Thanks all for the informative responses.
Old 08-14-2004, 18:35   #24
Tvov

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDog
In my book you can't beat a German Shepherd as being the best all around dog...my dog don't miss a trick...

DD~
I'll bet you don't get bothered by strangers much!!

As to good "alarm" dogs, DON'T get a Boxer. Most boxers bark rarely, and usually only when playing. We go camping (at campgrounds) with our 5 year old boxer, Scarlett, a lot. The surrounding campers are usually surprised that we have a dog, because she rarely makes a peep, even when other dogs are walking by or through our campsite.

I agree with others who have said small dogs, especially terriers (sp?).
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 18:37   #25
G20man32904
Deceased

nh,
good question, and the answer is???
Speak with a professional trainer in your area. Maybe a Schutzhund club or French Ring type trainer and express to them what you want. A GSD is a fine choice but do lots of research before plunking down your hard earned cash!!! Also speak to the trainers about a good dog that maybe has flunked out of the local police department training...
Good luck to you
Old 08-15-2004, 13:30   #26
Bill73

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDog

DD~
Great Dogs! If the wife would consent to it I have two also.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Bill73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 20:26   #27
lm921
The Stampede

Border collie

Most any dog will do but a Border collie is a great pet and friend. we have a small border collie, a sheltie and a mini poodle. The border collie is the best by far
Niners club member#921,G17 NPv.40cal club Member#921,G23c.BlueGrass Glockers Member.#921 :)
"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)
lm921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:53   #28
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
She only barks when needed. It is a pretty fierce bark too. She won't atttack. She barks so I can.

MF
I can see the abuse going on in all 3 of their faces!!! Look at that!!! ;f ;a ;c ;c
Old 08-16-2004, 05:31   #29
antediluvianist

dachsies

Dachshund. Very loyal. Hates strangers. Fierce, was bred to fight badgers (twice its weight.) Good barker.
Old 08-16-2004, 20:21   #30
Petra

Send a message via AIM to Petra
Let me second the vote for Dachshunds. I've got three that let me know anytime something is going on outside. And lord help the person that comes to the door. They are big dogs in little bodies. The best description that I've heard is that they have Rottweiler engines on a Dachshund chasis. I have 1 standard size doxie and 2 tweenies (somewhere between standard and mini). If you just heard the standard one bark, you would swear that he was a huge dog.

As far as protection goes, may or may not work. Doxies fall into 2 categories. Those that like everybody and those that don't like anyone outside their family. We have 2 that love everyone. Then there's Junior. Junior has issues. We just got him from the SPCA at Christmas. He doesn't like anyone except my wife and I. He feels like he has to protect us for everyone and everything. He went after the neighbors Rottie because it got too close to his "mom." He also nipped a neighbor. Neighbor's fault. We told him that Junior would nip him but he reached down by Jr's mouth anyway. But we're working on him. Like the original poster, I don't look to my dogs for protection. Just to let me know that something is going on.

Mark
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:06   #31
jfecteau
ActionHandguns

Send a message via AIM to jfecteau
nhglocker,

I also agree that is more of a training issue with a dog and not specific to a breed. Pick the breed that you like and fits your lifestyle. A GSD or a Rott would be great as they are highly trainable but if all you want is some barking when someone unknown comes to the door a small dog would work great. I am also in NH and I work with a great trainer for my dogs. He breeds Champion Shutzhund German Shepards and is great with dogs. His name is John Wilkens from Windy Hill Kennels. He is located in Gilmanton which is between Laconia and Concord. Give him a call if you have any questions and he could help you with your decision. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions or need help finding breeders in the area.

Windy Hill Kennels
to find all of the products you need for your Glock, 1911, and all other handguns. One of the largest selection of Knives on the Internet. Check us out! Large selection of products and great prices. We now carry Sidearmor Holsters and accessories. Lowest Prices around.
jfecteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 21:31   #32
gsbell
Consumed

Quote:
Originally posted by FThorn
I wonder what breed smells the least. And, I'd wonder this from the view of people that VISIT the dog owners; since the owners themselves have probably gotten used to the smells in their own house.
I'm highly allergic to dogs and cats. My own yorkie and a friends yorkie have never given me a bit of "nose" trouble. Neither mine or our friends houses smell like "dog". I know what you are talking about though. My parents will even dog sit at their place for our little guy, they wouldn't if he smelled.
As a bonus he is a barking maniac when people walk by the house let alone up the driveway.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:59   #33
ducati

Jack Russell Terrier. I have 2. The female knows everything that goes on around my house. I know her bark when it is another animal or a person. They also sound so vicious that I don't have problems with the JWs.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:22   #34
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

Quote:
Originally posted by protozo1
Great Danes. Mine bark when they hear something out of sorts. It's a big booming heavy bark and most people that come to the door step back up 2 or 3 steps just when they hear the bark. They back up more when the dogs come to the door and are eye to eye with them. As companions you couldn't ask for more loyal loving dogs. But being a large breed the vet bills are higher and transport and general care requires a bigger vehicle and more time. I would do some heavy research in any breed you select so you get one that fits you best.
Amen
I have two
Old 08-22-2004, 09:15   #35
PzGren

German Shepherds are good guard dogs, but they need grooming and be kept busy.

My Doberman is the best guard dog I ever owned but also the most time consuming , aggressive, very loving, and most difficult dog. All in one package.

A Rottweiler is a pretty maintenance-free guard dog. The power of the bite is remarkable, my female could crack coconuts open at 96 lbs. Even my 170lbs male Great Dane could not do that.

As a small guard dog the Standard Schnauzer is unbeatable in my opinion. For an alarm dog a Miniature Schnauzer is also good choice, or the before mentioned Standard Poodle.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 00:30   #36
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I have had 2 rotts,and they are amazing guard/watch dogs.They were both like having radar,a very deep growl and a hurt your ears deep bark.My 2 were females.I talked to a lady once that had a female--someone tried to jimmy the front door--the dog ran and tried to jump through the really thick stain glass door--bent it out--guy ran off.German shepards are also really great dogs--grew up with one--they react alot like rotts--very good guard instinct.A buddy of mine had one--it had bitten 2 people in its life that entered the property--nothing to mess with.It was a large male.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 00:41   #37
ReAX222

We he was awake, my rott kept everyone away from my house. Sleeping was a different story, but atleast he slept by the front door. If anyone tryed to open it they would have to move him. The most important thing when picking a dog, is get one that will listen.

I don't know, I've never seen a car that looks like that before, it looks like a uh... like a big cat of some kind.
...What like a puma?
ReAX222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 23:31   #38
AlexTheShotgunn

I'll vote for terriers the larger ones (kerry blues,airdales) are very VERY energetic,smaller ones(scotties,westies,carins) are very feirce. My mother has a westie that can take most any dog i've seen includeing my sisters 200lb wolfhound. As far as pure scare factor a male wolfhound is a very scary dog indeed 200+ pounds and a bark and growl that will paralize most people with fear. They were after all used to kill wolves in the middle ages.
AlexTheShotgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:04   #39
loandr.

Boer Boel's..... Hands down

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....ight=boer+boel

feel free to check out my old pic post :-)
Loandr.
loandr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 14:41   #40
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Boerboels are neeto!

Just got mine!