Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2004, 14:48   #41
loandr.

TOOOOO CUTE !!!!!!!!

what a beauty!!!!!!Congrat's....whom was the breeder :-) Hold them in your arms while you still can :-) I miss the cradling days....How old ?
Loandr.
loandr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 14:52   #42
scowan007
memberrific!!!

loandr,

THanks! Stonegate Ignatius (Iggy to you and me) is 9 weeks, 15 lbs. He is from Annette Alexander in NC. Believe one of the parents was from M. Proffer. I need to go back and check my notes.

Where are your beauties from (I checked your other thread and saw the pics)?
Old 09-03-2004, 14:53   #43
Glockinhand

go for a small dog that has lots of energy. some small dogs just mope around and woof at strange noises. a small dog like a jack russell or terrier will yap their heads off at strange sounds. my chiapom is getting old and doesn't "explode" at strange sounds much anymore. gotta get a new one.
Glockinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 14:58   #44
loandr.

Cool

Dan Huffman from Crystal River...BUT do to health reason on Dans part he is no longer breeding. He is a "Blackwell" student :-) and I know YOU know whom that is :-) How cute. Nandi and Shaka Zulu were the rents, The amazing thing isa if raised by hand ( we got ours at 8 wk....or a bit less :-) the are the most gentle creatures :-) Best of luck and take us up on that "PM" you'll need the advise trust me its a handful :-)
Loandr.
Loandr.
Old 09-03-2004, 15:00   #45
loandr.

Barking....how said barking :-)

My kids "ROAR" ....not bark :-)....Loandr.
Old 09-03-2004, 15:06   #46
cgilbert

Send a message via AIM to cgilbert

jefecteau, I love your avatar! But now that you have your own Rottie, time to put her up on it.

nhglocker, my preference would be a Rottie. I had one that was fantastic. I invested some time and $ along the way with John @ Windy Hills, which you would want to do anyways especially if you got a "high speed dog", albeit a Rottie or Shephard. John's really into the Shephards.

Anyways, you can take a dog just about as far as you want to. My girl was specifically trained to go to the door anytime that anyone came to it. (that was just part of her training) I always felt my wife and daughters were safe when I wasn't home. Imagine being greated by a 90 lb Rotweiller. She wouldn't bark unless the situation warranted. She was docile and great with the kids, but when I "turned her on" she was pure business. I have no doubt she'd die taking care of me or my family.

Anyways, however you decide to go, good luck to you. Even a mutt that has some level of intelligence could provide for you. I do recommend some professional training, even if only from the obedience side of things.
cgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 18:35   #47
nhglocker

Thanks all for the responses
Some great pics of handsome animals too!

Anyway I think I will probably lean towards getting a German Shepard now. Anybody know how much a healthy pup would go for?

Again, thanks everyone for the posts.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:36   #48
cgilbert

Send a message via AIM to cgilbert

It's always best to do your research on breeders in the area. Ask around different breeders, vets, trainers. Stay away from the pet stores and puppy mills. Give John a call, I know he'd be receptive to answering any questions you may have.
cgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:46   #49
scowan007
memberrific!!!

I know there are some German Shepherd experts here who can speak more knowledgeably about this, but I have read a lot of complaints from GSD people that the AKC has ruined the breed and turned a good working dog into a useless show dog. Apparently it is tough to find GSDs in the states that are "true" to the breed. I hope the experts see this and chime in!
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 18:02   #50
jerryd

Jack Russell Terrier! My 14lb has no fear!!! the bigger the dog the faster she goes after it, she lets me know when the leafs are falling,birds in the back yard. also HD motorcycles,must be th tone of the engine!!
jerryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:17   #51
ede
Bama's Friend

not sure it'd work out for most people but you can't beat a pet goose for an alert system
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 20:22   #52
JasoninPrescott

When I used to live in Phoenix I had pet geese,ducks,chickens, turkeys. Two of my geese just died by coyote. My dog is a Walker coonhound, he lets me know when anything isn't right, plus that bawl is unmistakable. Plus if I chase a burglar out of my house I can tree him too.
JasoninPrescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 20:32   #53
loandr.

Hmmmmm

While a "Boer Boel" is ideal .......I guess an "EMU" in spiked collar ...........would do the trick ;a
Loandr.
Old 09-20-2004, 21:00   #54
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by JasoninPrescott
When I used to live in Phoenix I had pet geese,ducks,chickens, turkeys.
My aunt has a florist. One year I was running roses on Valentine's Day. Picture this: paraniod me who always locks the car doors as soon as I get out, several teddy bears in the crook of one arm, dozen roses in that hand, and the other hand full of a large vase. I walk halfway across the yard to be greeted by a very unfriendly turkey ;P

The man who lived there was at the kitchen sink eating a tomato sandwich. He reaches over and knocks on the window, motioning me to "come on." I freeze...until he calls the turkey off me in what seemed like two hours later :(
Old 09-21-2004, 06:00   #55
loandr.

Tasty to boot!

Sounds like "Turkey" sandwiches ..."waiting to happen" :-)
Glad you made it through safely!
Loandr.
Old 09-23-2004, 15:35   #56
Jaegergirl
Proud2BAmerican

i have a rottweiler (2 year old male) and we joke that if someone tried to break in, he'd lick them as opposed to bite them and would lead the intruders to the valuables. he rarely ever barks. if anything, his looks are intimidating enough. i'd be curious what he'd do in a threatening situation but you know what, i don't really care to find out.

my sister's obnoxious JRT barks at everything so he's a better alarmist than my dog.
Ohio Glockers #68
In memory of my brother, Rick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Proud parent of a Young Marine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jaegergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:11   #57
ede
Bama's Friend

jeagergirl my rottweiler is the same way, licks way more than barks. only time she does bark is when my son is here and flips on his siren and he only does that to get her fired up. i have wireless instent fence for my dogs. my trash is picked up at the house insted of the street like most people have. anyway i put the trash about 10 feet past the boundrey (since it varies a bit being wireless). when the trash gets picked up my two dogs go to near their limit, rotweiller sits and wags her tail and the shepard lab mix barks and acts mean. guess if i were a thief i'd by pass my house with the dogs and all but i'm not sure they do anything. i do beleive they'd defend me if i were attacked, but then again if i were attacked there's a good chance someone would be getting shot.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46   #58
noway

{work out for most people but you can't beat a pet goose for an alert system}

that's so true. In the olden bibical days they used geese and ducks for intruder alerts. The pharoahs needed a quick alerting system for people trying to assignated them. Geese was the #1 pick for that job.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 00:54   #59
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by scowan007
I know there are some German Shepherd experts here who can speak more knowledgeably about this, but I have read a lot of complaints from GSD people that the AKC has ruined the breed and turned a good working dog into a useless show dog. Apparently it is tough to find GSDs in the states that are "true" to the breed. I hope the experts see this and chime in!

There are different types of GSDs, the showline is what people are referring to that the AKC is all about, there is still a working line, trust me

- I will trade parts for full cap G17 magazines.
GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:08   #60
thinkfast

Mutts, anyone?

Any working dog mixed breed should have the instincts to protect territory and alert to strange noises.

Something along the lines of a German Sheperd/Collie mix would probably be a good fit.

As a plus, you get the Mutt Advantage of possibly hundreds of bloodlines of resistance to disease instead of a purebred's two bloodlines.

Heck, they're about 25-50 bucks, and most shelters issues coupons for STEEP discounts on 1st year shots.

Going the purebred route? Belgian Shepherds are great-they have a similar mentality to the GSD, but only have two distinct shedding seasons, instead of 365 days/year!

Belgians are seen in Europe performing police functions we're used to seeing GSD's do here. Smart, loyal breed.