Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:05   #76
smithkid1974

Re: Yep.

Quote:
Originally posted by loandr.
Not to mention.....NO BoerBoels?...?? Heck Sometimes when I think of the "Mop and Bucket" Clean up that would be needed after the fact...maybe its a good idea they not be more public :-)(U.S.)
Loandr.

Boerboels are part of the mastiff family (#1 ranking), however the list was comprised of AKC recognized breeds.
smithkid1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19   #77
BigDog

13 weeeks and he pops tennis balls?!?!?;G

"A technician who works for one of my managers had his fiance' killed by two in Saginaw last year." And that is part of the reason they are not used in PSD or (true) protection work. They were bred specifically to fight, the expense of a reasonable temperament. (I realize there are differences between dogs and that they're not all killers AND I realize that proper socialization will make a difference in every dog (scowan gets a smiley ))

As I said in a previous post, the dog's entire temperament is crucial. Dogs who are inappropriately aggressive have NO BUSINESS BEING BRED much less used in protection/PSD. This includes fear-biters!

Another issue that made me lol about that list was the fact that you could click on each of the breeds to get to the AKC's description of them. The AKC has done more to ruin true working-protection dogs than any other organization. Their focus on conformation exclusively has ELIMINATED the working drives from the bloodlines. Again, this is why PSD's ALWAYS come from European lines. Others more educated than me on the subject have stated that there is not a single American-line GSD that will go into a fight for you. (Ed Frawley of Leerburg Kennels;W )

Read these:
http://www.leerburg.com/drives.htm
http://www.leerburg.com/qaprot.htm#fight and scroll down to "Can you define fight drive for me?"
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 14:41   #78
hardeyes

Hello;

Very true Big Dog.

A working family of dogs, NEEDS TO BE SELECTIVELY BREED, And Culled.

More breeds of dogs, have been Destroyed and/or Breed sub-standardly, by Popularity, and those that have a Mis-Understanding of the Breed.

The AKC, Is NOT into Working dogs, and/or Performance dogs.

Selective Breeding- Prey Drive, Temperment, and putting a dog thru the test, Helps Maintain The Breeds Standards.

Skip a dog (generation), and the results are usally a decline in Performance, and Health problems.

Breeding dogs, for Bloodlines, and/or Confirmation, And NOT for Performance, Will do more harm, than good.

One disipine that must be perserved in a breed of dogs, Is to follow the guidlines that have been put in place, for that perticular Breed.

Often tho, Money, & People that do not want to take the time, and do what is right by the dog, Simply skip these Important breed standards.

Breeders of Working/Proformance dogs, breed these dogs, because they have an Understanding of the breed. They are not in to breeding dogs for money, and they Understand what it takes to Maintain the breed.

If a dog doesn't maintain the breeds standard, THEY ARE CULLED FROM THE BREEDING PROGRAM. Period.

A good saying a friend once told me, is this.

"The test of a dog is the Show--The test of a Family is Time".

Hardeyes
hardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 19:20   #79
MattA

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Here's my home alarm. He can hear a mouse fart @ 100 yd and then track him.;f
MattA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 19:51   #80
loandr.

you were warned....

SIR..they pop tennis balls almost from birth ! :-) In a few months he will move on to the bigger thicker balls at petsmart etc. those will work... when mouths widen a bit. SKIP the "Puppy" NYLA-BONES etc PERIOD. and go straight to the "White " hard ones, other wise they will eat them...and not teeth properly. call us dude, wish we had soemone with expeience when we got them! ! :-) and remember greater PSI strength than the american mastiff almost 2x's the sheperard etc, ....but gentle as hell. When at petsmarts they seem to love the attention and the children etc. BUTTTTTT when at home....they rival the "three headed" dog that would guard the gates of "unpleaseant places" :-). Enjoy your little one ...
Loandr.
loandr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 19:55   #81
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hardeyes
Hello;

Very true Big Dog.

A working family of dogs, NEEDS TO BE SELECTIVELY BREED, And Culled.

More breeds of dogs, have been Destroyed and/or Breed sub-standardly, by Popularity, and those that have a Mis-Understanding of the Breed.

The AKC, Is NOT into Working dogs, and/or Performance dogs.

Selective Breeding- Prey Drive, Temperment, and putting a dog thru the test, Helps Maintain The Breeds Standards.

Skip a dog (generation), and the results are usally a decline in Performance, and Health problems.

Breeding dogs, for Bloodlines, and/or Confirmation, And NOT for Performance, Will do more harm, than good.

One disipine that must be perserved in a breed of dogs, Is to follow the guidlines that have been put in place, for that perticular Breed.

Often tho, Money, & People that do not want to take the time, and do what is right by the dog, Simply skip these Important breed standards.

Breeders of Working/Proformance dogs, breed these dogs, because they have an Understanding of the breed. They are not in to breeding dogs for money, and they Understand what it takes to Maintain the breed.

If a dog doesn't maintain the breeds standard, THEY ARE CULLED FROM THE BREEDING PROGRAM. Period.

A good saying a friend once told me, is this.

"The test of a dog is the Show--The test of a Family is Time".

Hardeyes
That's one of the reasons I went with the Boerboel. They are not recognized by AKC, and there are precious few reputable breeders in the US (and they all seem to know each other). The SABT is the South African group that oversees this breed, and along with conformation (its not "confirmation", by the way), most responsible breeders who breed to SABT standards breed for a calm, confident temperament. I had the good fortune of dealing with a breeder who had both dam and sire onsite, and got to spend a few hours with both. Its no guarantee, but I figure if I do my job, knowing the parents, and knowing what the breeder was looking for in a breeding pair increases my odds greatly of having a quality dog.

PS-hardeyes - when you say culled, you mean spayed/neutered and sold as pet quality; not euthanized, right?

PPS-loandr - oh, you'll be hearing from me!!!

Last edited by scowan007; 10-06-2004 at 20:12..
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 20:33   #82
loandr.

YES SIR

WHAT HE SAID and then some :-)

Loandr.
Old 10-06-2004, 20:35   #83
loandr.

FYI

FYI- SBAT appraiaser's were just here in Orlando and all WENT great!!!!!!!!!!
Loandr.
Old 10-06-2004, 20:44   #84
hardeyes

Hello;

scowan007, Culling- Means removing from the breeding program.

Someways someone might 'cull' a dog, is to spay and/or Neuter them, and then give them away as a pet.

Other times, it did mean, 'Removing' the unsuitable dog.

Some of the reasons, (and remember that all breeders 'cull'), Unstableness, Temperment problems, and just not repersenting the breed standard, and/or Health problems.

Yes, if you expect to maintain a line of performance dogs, then 'Culling' is necesary. Without it the world of performance dogs, would simply revert into dogs that do not maintain the genes and/or desire to work, thus in a few generations, you would get non performance dogs.

Let's face facts, few people are willing to look into, Understand the History (of a certain breed), and then work with that dog, so that it can grow up to be a protection and/or hunting dog.

A line of quality dogs, can be reduced to near-nothingness, if culling is not followed, Only dogs that repersent the breed, and it's history, and can produce like dogs, should be breed, After proving themselfs. This could be protection work, and or hunting/field trials.

Remember all dogs were breed for a purpose, Maintaining that purpose, is what sets breeds apart.
hardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:22   #85
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Quote:
Originally posted by FThorn
I wonder what breed smells the least. And, I'd wonder this from the view of people that VISIT the dog owners; since the owners themselves have probably gotten used to the smells in their own house.

I've read that arctic breeds usually don't have the doggy odor.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com <------You can probably find something about it here.

;g

;8 ;I
Old 10-26-2004, 12:18   #86
W Turner

The best dog I ever had was a GSD/herding mutt mix. Sadly he disappeared about 7 months ago.

The two GSD's that we have now are a study in contrasts...

Sera is smaller (60lbs.) and almost a washed out black and tan in color that we have had for 5.5 years. She is very laid-back, but is an excellent alert dog. She has never been trained to bite and never will be. I don't have a need for this and I really don't think she has the nerves for it anyway. Her biggest problem is her health. She has early hip dysplasia and has severe food alleries to fish, pork and chicken, so we have to use a beef-based food for her. Unfortunately the fish allergy makes it harder to treat the dysplasia because most of the good supplements are fish oil based.

Stoner is larger (75lbs.) and is more in line with the breed standard. He is much darker with rust markings on his legs and face and is even more laid-back than Sera, hence the name..... ;j ;f
He looks like a killer, but is the biggest p***y I have ever seen. Correction doesn't faze him, but he rarely barks at anything. He is only about a year old and has been with us for 4 months. I am hoping he will start to defend his "territory" soon, but just hasn't shown any interest. He is great with young kids though, I have a young cousin who love to wrestle with him and he has been great with absolutely no signs of aggression. His ball drive is excellent, and he is really mouthy, but is a wonderful companion dog. His health is good except for a skin condition that we are working to get resolved. He was a pound dog and we are having to deal with some leftover health issues.

After these two, no more GSD's for me. I love the breed, but the hair is just too much.

Bull
Kalashnikov Klub #0511
W Turner is offline   Reply With Quote