Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2004, 16:21   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Open Office 1.1.2

As I mentioned in a recently deleted thread, I lost my Office 97 disk when I built this PC, and thought all hope was lost, because no way was I paying for a full version(97 was given to me). I have never heard of Open Office, but downloaded it last night. It seems like it will fit my needs perfectly(which are fairly minimal)...

Any major things that MS Office will do, that Open Office won't do? I only do basic word processing and spreadsheets, nothing major, so I'll probably never notice if there is anything.

Thanks
IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 16:36   #2
sandboy6184

Send a message via AIM to sandboy6184
For your situation, yes OO will be fine for sure. If your computer is slow, you may want to check out Abiword (for workd proc.) as an alternative
sandboy6184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 19:21   #3
ronin_asano

Re: Open Office 1.1.2

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
As I mentioned in a recently deleted thread, I lost my Office 97 disk when I built this PC, and thought all hope was lost, because no way was I paying for a full version(97 was given to me). I have never heard of Open Office, but downloaded it last night. It seems like it will fit my needs perfectly(which are fairly minimal)...

Any major things that MS Office will do, that Open Office won't do? I only do basic word processing and spreadsheets, nothing major, so I'll probably never notice if there is anything.

Thanks
IGF
you made a great choice. glad you saw the light. the only things open office won't do when working with ms files are the result of the proprietary ms file formats. use the native oo formats whenever possible, they are better anyway.

you also probably noticed that there is no email client, but that's what thunderbird is for.

i have been running open office for about two years now, and have never needed to go back to ms office. i interchange documents with co-workers and vendors who use ms office without issue. whenever i write an original document, i stick with oo formats. the stylist is the way to go. much more robust organization and formatting capabilities than word.
member #3240 top gun .357sig club
ronin_asano is offline   Reply With Quote