Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:57   #1
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

"Online Billpay" recommendations requested

I originally posted in GNG, here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=274815

but either way, I don't see any value in the version my credit union offers because they require payments to be actually made, online, 7-10 business days before a bill's due date (how dumb is that!) and they do NOT offer any guarantee whatsoever that a bill paid properly through them will be paid timely.

I would shy away from anything offered via Yahoo, for example, because of privacy and security concerns.

I don't bank at any 'regular banks' but have all my checking/savings through two different credit unions. It would be a real pain to have to get my direct deposits switched to a regular bank, plus it seems they have the highest fees and such when compared to credit unions.

Any recommendations on one or more "online bill pay" services - hopefully that are both reliable and quarantee timely transactions, and which charge minimally (if at all)?
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 22:29   #2
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Don't you have a Debit card or check guarantee card through them?!

If not, how 1900's.

I have three working accounts. One savings account (that thanks to Gov't hysteria can only be used 3 or 4 times per month so they know I am not laundering money for a cartel somewhere) that receives any payments, and one checking account that comes with a Visa card w/fraud protection. I pay regular monthly bills with this online.

Then I have a separate checking account that I insert funds into when I need (or just want ;Q to buy some sort of toy online)! That way I can be sure that no one can steal my money, since it isn't there until I deposit it, then I spend it immediately thereafter.

Quite a system, eh? I am frankly surprised that more people don't do this.

I recommend you open a Free Checking Account somewhere and do likewise if your CU does not offer Debit cards to its customers (man, how ghetto would THAT be...)

Good luck,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:30   #3
hwyhobo

For me the online bill pay has one fatal flow - it still depends on me to remember to do them on time. That's why I switched to automatic payments for just about everything. In a few years I had only one questionable billing (twice for the same item), and the company in question apologized and credited my account promptly.

Since I travel, automatic pay is a life saver.

While this is not exactly what you were asking for, would it possibly help?
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20   #4
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Quote:
Don't you have a Debit card or check guarantee card through them?!
By "them" I assume you mean the CU? Yes, I have a debit card, along with a regular revolving-charge VISA, checking, savings, etc. Not sure what that has to do with an online bill-pay function.

I would like to achieve having ONE site to go to on which I can pay multiple bills electronically. This would be a real time and detail saver vs. going to individual websites to pay individual bills electronically.

I'm not a fan of automatic payments and although I have a couple of bills for which that was the only viable option, I do not like having multiple hands in my bank account. Plus, since my income is not direct deposited on the same day or date (i.e., 1st, 15th, 30th), or same point in the month, each month, it's very easy to end up overdrawn when an 'auto pay' self-initiates before the direct deposit arrives :( I also find it difficult to 'remember' each and every auto-pay date, so I end up entering the few auto-pays all the same time (when the direct deposit posts) even though they have not yet transpired.

My sister's CU online bill pay does not require that bills be paid via the system 7-10 Biz days in advance of the due date; the explanation given by my CU for this requirement is that supposedly some bills are paid by the system with actual paper transactions - just as if the account holder were to write and mail their own paper checks. ;Q

What I was hoping to find was an online bill pay service at whose website I can sit down a couple of times a month and 'schedule' the upcoming payments to be made, and which will not transmit those payments electronically UNTIL the individual dates I have assigned to each bill. I need to streamline where my time goes - and a lot of it gets eaten up keeping track of bills AND the days on which to go online and pay them (or get a check in the mail). I've done what I can to move due dates to about the same general point in each month, but not all accounts allow holders to select their own due dates.
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote