Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:19   #1
hwyhobo

j2re1.4.2 in Firefox and Mozilla on Linux

Question for the Linux/Java people: I installed Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1 (plugin file name: libjavaplugin_oji.so) in both Mozilla (1.7) and Firefox (0.8). Plugin is symbolically linked, not copied, as instructed. Permissions on all files seem okay. Yet, when I run it as root, it works very nicely, when I run it as a regular user, the applet appears to load, but does not work. It first displays a message at the bottom: "Applet xxxx notinited", then "Loading Java Applet xxxx failed". For testing purposes, I also ran it as root with regular user's environment (I made sure that the whole environment was identical). The result was still the same. "about:plugins" shows java up and running for both root and ruser. Java console is equally happy in Mozilla.

I went through the files with a fine-tooth comb, I don't see anything obvious. lsof shows exactly the same files open for both users when running browsers. I even diffed 40 or so strace files (parent and children) for both users running browsers, still no obvious clues (unless something small escaped me, which is possible even with all due diligence). Finally, I googled, still couldn't find a clear hit.

Is there something I am forgetting to check?

BTW, I run RH 9.0. Oh, and yes, I did test it on various applets to eliminate that variable. Always the same behavior.

Thanks.

Last edited by hwyhobo; 08-13-2004 at 02:21..
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:00   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Stupid question but can your user cd to the jdk directory that holds the .so file?

As the user, see if you can get to the directory with the file, then do a strings on it to see if you can actually read the file and make sure it's executable by users.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:07   #3
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally posted by HerrGlock
can your user cd to the jdk directory that holds the .so file? As the user, see if you can get to the directory with the file, then do a strings on it to see if you can actually read the file and make sure it's executable by users.
'Yup' on all three. This is a real weird one.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:12   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

and the sym link is
lrwxrwxrwx
right?
Old 08-13-2004, 15:19   #5
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally posted by HerrGlock
and the sym link is lrwxrwxrwx right?
Yup.
Old 08-13-2004, 15:49   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Are you running it in an x-term or via a graphical interface?

If you have not tried x-term, try it that way. Sometimes some output helps.

Have you run ldd on the .so file as a user and as root?

DanH
Old 08-13-2004, 16:24   #7
srhoades

I have found it works best if you link it to the mozilla directory in /usr/local/mozila/plugins as well as the one in your home directory.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 16:42   #8
hwyhobo

Darn, I found it! I knew it was something banal. No, it was stupid. And it was ALL MY FAULT. When I was originally testing for another problem (which was straightforward and I solved it quickly), I gave user's environment to root to make sure they were operating in the same space, including home directory. Well, under ruser's $HOME/.java there is Cache directory. When root started using it, it changed ownership and ruser was stuck. It didn't show up in lsof because those files were not apparantly opened, just tested for opening or some such. It must have been in strace files, but I missed it.

Well, it works like a charm now.

Thanks everyone. There has got to be one of those once in a while. Fri 13 proved lucky to me this time.

Oh, and the for the last two comments:

srhoades, yes, I tried that, too. Since it didn't make a difference in this case, I backed out of it and left a symlink only in the plugins directory.

HerrGlock, I was testing from xterm for debugging info, yes. I also find it more flexible and helpful. I also set up watch points from time to time in startup scripts that would report on the ongoing development of the run environment. That is definitely useful.

Last edited by hwyhobo; 08-13-2004 at 17:28..