Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-13-2004, 13:56   #1
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
Storage space online

I need to get some personal files from my work computer to my home computer. There are some pretty big files, from 24MB to 400MB each (most in the 1-200 block). I have about two options at this point... 1. Buy an external/usb cd-r drive for about $80+tax, or 2. Find a hosting site that I can upload the files to at work and then download once I get home. The computers at work do not have cd-r drives by default, and the files are too big to send over a messenger server (or at least over yahoo). I tried to set up a netmeeting between my home computer and work computer, but I think the work firewall is getting in the way. Emailing them won't work as there is a 25 meg attachment limit.

Any ideas? Should I buy the darn drive and then just sell it for as much of the original cost as I can? Do ya'll have some hosting sites that I could use for cheaper than $80 for one month (it's a one shot thing, not on an ongoing basis).

HELP!

D.E.
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 15:42   #2
prism
more ammo

since you're interested in online storage, say how much space you need, for how long, and whether you can ftp upload and ftp download.

also, see if this link is useful enough: http://www.yousendit.com/
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"

Last edited by prism; 08-13-2004 at 15:48..
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 17:13   #3
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
basically I'm going to either need a very large amount of space for a short amount of time, or I will need a smaller amount of space but over a few days. I think the total of the files all told is about 2.5-2.8 gigs. So if I get a 3 gig temporary storage, I can do it all in one shot. Alternatively, the biggest is only 390 megs, so I could get like a 500 meg spot, and do 1-4 at a time over several days. Potentially, I could get two sets a day: upload in am at work, come home for lunch, download/delete from space, return to work, upload, come home for night, and download/delete again to get ready to upload some more tomorrow.

As far as FTP, I don't know what the company firewall at work does or does not allow, I'd say safe bet they wouldn't let that though, so an internet interface would definately be a plus. also, I'm not that good w/ cmd interface ftp, and I'd have to grab an ftp software which might have more chance of being filtered by the FW.

Just looked at the USendIt link. That should do it provided they don't complain about 16 of em one right after the other and provided that the firewall doesn't interfere ;f Thanks ;Y

All hail Glocktalk, reposity of knowledge unmatched ;W

D.E.

PS - I'll let ya'll know how it turns out (as if your really care ;f)
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 19:24   #4
prism
more ammo

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertEagle
As far as FTP, I don't know what the company firewall at work does or does not allow, I'd say safe bet they wouldn't let that though, so an internet interface would definately be a plus.

for FTP without special software, it's possible to FTP through Internet Explorer browser. no idea if your firewall would block it.

for more info, google for ftp internet explorer upload.
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"
prism is offline   Reply With Quote