Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:37   #1
MGomez81

Which Webcam to buy?

I've been looking into getting a webcam or similar video conferencing equipment. I have family that lives farther than I can travel at the drop of a dime, and I am a college student (on that infamous college budget) who sees plenty of opportunity in video web conferencing with other campus organizations.

That said, I would like something in the mid-range of products. I cannot afford the high end stuff above $200, and I don't want to settle for the low-end run-of-the-mill webcam under $50. Quality and versatility are important, but so are reliability while using different programs such as MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, Yahoo Messenger, etc.

If you own a webcam and use it, please share your sentiments. I've read up on some reviews (logitechs, creative labs) but I want to see if there is any concensus here in the GT community.

Thanks! ;c
MGomez81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:43   #2
nickg

Re: Which Webcam to buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by MGomez81
.... and I am a college student (on that infamous college budget) who sees plenty of opportunity in video web conferencing with other campus organizations.
you're going to set it up in the girls dorm shower aren't you? ? ? ;f ;f
Old 08-18-2004, 15:58   #3
Toyman

Having written video chat software, and worked with dozens of cams, I have a little bit of experience here.

My recomendation: Get a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, it'll run you about $99. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=5042
This is what I use as my primary test camera. My primary development camera is a 3COM HomeConnect camera which is no longer available, but can be found on e-bay, it's the best cam I have found.

The key is getting a camera that has a CCD sensor, and NOT a CMOS sensor (low quality).

Many of the cams that are CMOS don't say what sensor they have, but usually the CCD cams do. (even the Logitech boxes do this, like the QuickCam Zoom).

Some of the cheaper cams use JPEG image compression, which isn't compatible with all video conferencing software (and sucks anyway).

Orange Micro also has a decent firewire cam: $99
http://www.orangemicro.com/ibot.html

Last edited by Toyman; 08-18-2004 at 16:01..
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 16:00   #4
MGomez81

What about that new Logitech Orbit? Better than the 4000?
Old 08-18-2004, 16:04   #5
MGomez81

And how do you like the IBOT over the Logitech? Does that firewire connection make a difference? I read one review saying they liked the IBOT's crispness over the Logitech.

thoughts?
Old 08-18-2004, 16:11   #6
Toyman

Quote:
What about that new Logitech Orbit? Better than the 4000?
I haven't bought one of them yet, as I wasn't sure which sensor it used because it doesn't say on the box (one of Logitech's inconsistencies in their product specs on the boxes). BUT I just learned the other day that it does in fact have a CCD sensor.
Old 08-18-2004, 16:21   #7
Toyman

Quote:
And how do you like the IBOT over the Logitech? Does that firewire connection make a difference? I read one review saying they liked the IBOT's crispness over the Logitech.

thoughts?
I haven't used my IBot in a while, as my machine with the firewire died a while back. I don't think it was as good as the Logitech one.
Old 08-18-2004, 16:21   #8
MGomez81

It has that face-tracking feature...

You know I was also looking into the D-Link DVC-1000. It's not a webcam per say, but it does allow you to video conference without the aid of a PC with anyone else who has the same DVC-1000. The standalone DVC-2000 should be out shortly. Check out www.dlink.com to see what i'm talking about.
Old 08-18-2004, 16:27   #9
Toyman

Quote:
It has that face-tracking feature...

You know I was also looking into the D-Link DVC-1000. It's not a webcam per say, but it does allow you to video conference without the aid of a PC with anyone else who has the same DVC-1000. The standalone DVC-2000 should be out shortly. Check out www.dlink.com to see what i'm talking about.
The video format for that one is very low, CIF (352 x 288 pixels) and QCIF (176 x 144)
Old 08-18-2004, 16:33   #10
MGomez81

So you're saying it sucks
Old 08-18-2004, 16:51   #11
Toyman

Quote:
So you're saying it sucks
Yeah, in technical terms.