SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2004, 21:01   #1
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Ferret owners----I have some questions.

My kids and i checked some of these out at the pet store.I would like to know all the ins and outs of owning one of these creatures.What are they like to live with? Do they sleep in the cage at night? Do they bite? Can they be safely handled by kids all the time? Will they live with a very casual cat? Do they use a litter box? Someone told me they are horrible and pee everywhere--is this true? Thank you for all the information guys!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 21:18   #2
noway

>What are they like to live with?

quiet and like to sleep, They can get a few minutes of playfull activity like with fur balls and small ping-pong balls. They also like cat nip but not as much as cats. Also spent toliet rolls and paper towels rolls makes for good ferret toys.

>Do they sleep in the cage at night?

the one I had didn't, but it sure as hell found every impossible place to lay down in. One time it was inside the recliner another time he was found sleeping in the bread basket.

>Can they be safely handled by kids all the time?
Yes most ferrets can get along with kids, just slowly acustom the pet with the kids and try not to allow the kids to get to excite and overly harrash the pet and you will be fine.

>Will they live with a very casual cat?
My friend niece have one and she also has 2 cats, they all get along just fine

>Do they use a litter box?
yeap

>Someone told me they are horrible and pee everywhere--is this true?
See above, you have to train them to use the kitty box, but at first when they are young start them on newspaper or bedding material.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 22:29   #3
nyredneck
كا&

well, speaking as someone who currently has 6 ferrets (all time record is 8!) they are definately not for everyone. They are what you would call "high maintenance", that is to say they do require a substantial ammount of attention.

They are without a doubt one of the most spastic pets you will ever own. Think kittens on smack!! I can't recall the last time they didn't make me laugh out loud when cavorting about my house! They are very special little creatures!!

Litter training: they can be litter trained just like a cat, but they ALWAYS go in corners, unless a potted plant is nearby! They love to dig!! Did I say dig? I meant shovel gobs of dirt eveywhere!!

Biting: almost all kits (baby ferrets) bite and you have to buy a special deteriant to make them stop (bitter apple is popular for this) but they are highly intelligent and "get it" fairly quickly! Ferrets , for the most part, don't bite to be mean, they are just playing and don't realize human skin is much more delicate than ferret skin!

Children and ferrets; can be a very good mix if both are taught respect! little children sometimes don't realize just how fragile a ferret can be and many injuries that could've been avoided by simple supervision occur.

the smell; you will no doubt hear from various people how bad ferrets "smell". Well this is partly true,ferret belong to the family Mustlidae wich includes Mink, weasles, badgers, and skunks, yes skunks! All members of the genouds mustleidae have scent glands located near thier anus wich thay can use to spray. Most (not all) ferrets sold as pets are "descented", that is to say their glands are removed. However ferrets also secrete oils from thier skin wich can result in a "musky" odor. It is very mild and most people never even notice this. The most important part about keeping the smell down is simple, just keep their cage and bedding clean, after all yopur kids would smell too if you didn't clean them up!!

ferrets and cages; it is a very smart ideato keepyour ferrets
in a cage when you are not at home as they can get into everything!! they can squeeze under doors that fleas would have a hard time getting under! that's just thier nature!

all in all ferrets are not for everyone, they require a lot of love and attention, but I can not picture life without them, I will ALWAYS have ferrets in my house!!

a good reference guide to help you in your decision is "Ferrets for Dummies" by Kim Schilling. Ihope I've helped you a little on you rdecision about owning a ferret!

NYRedneck, what is good in life?
"To crush Little Old Ladies, see them driven before You, and the lamentation of the Women!"
nyredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 22:39   #4
nyredneck
كا&

here's a couple pics to help your decision!;f

"To crush Little Old Ladies, see them driven before You, and the lamentation of the Women!"
Old 08-17-2004, 22:43   #5
nyredneck
كا&

another

Old 08-17-2004, 22:47   #6
nyredneck
كا&

last one