SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2004, 22:45   #1
git_r_dun0405
5FDP

A Good Road Bike for Under $500?

I already own a Trek 7100 Comfort/Hybrid bike. And was wondering. Whats a good Road Bike for under $500?
git_r_dun0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 22:59   #2
mtb_mmw
Road Rash

Send a message via Yahoo to mtb_mmw
I managed a shop for years and the beast you are looking for does not exist. The hybrid market fills that niche. Road bike of a decent quality start at $1000.00.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:28   #3
dave5339

While a $500 retail bike might be hard to find it's not impossible. Check out your local bike shop for last year or older models, check out their bulletin boards for the locals selling their older bikes. Also check out the online auctions.

There are good deals to be found out there in the online auctions. I picked up a Masi Gran Corsa road bike with Campagnolo Chorus/Veloce components for around $500. It's an older bike but still a good one. If you ride a 56 cm, I might have a deal for you.

The issue though with the online auctions is you:
#1 Have to know what you are looking at
#2 Have to know what size you are needing. Also keep in mind that different makers measure their bikes differently.

What I would suggest is to check out your local bike shops. Ride some different bikes to get an idea as to what size you ride. Look for last year or older closeouts, (sometimes great deals can be had).

Also most shops will have a bulletin board somewhere for the locals who are selling their older bikes, it's generally a good place to find some great deals.

Semper Fi
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53   #4
Berto
woo woo

Re: A Good Road Bike for Under $500?

Quote:
Originally posted by git_r_dun0405
I already own a Trek 7100 Comfort/Hybrid bike. And was wondering. Whats a good Road Bike for under $500?
Since you have a hybrid,what kind of riding do you plan to do with the road bike? Do you want something faster with a race geometry or something for longer distance rides?
Most road bikes under $500 are going to be set up for "sport touring" and may not have the features you're looking for like;

longer top tube
light weight
faster gearing
road race geometry
drop bars

In other words,there will be an emphasis on accommodating beginners by offering wider range gearing with triple chainrings,adjustable angle stems or upright-angled stems,wider saddles,heavier wheels and at this price point,lower end shifting.You may find a bike like this very much like what you already have in your Trek,except a little lighter and a little faster.
There are a few decent ones out there near your price if you look at last year's models and shop around.I've seen some Brands that offer true road bikes at your price point,some even have steel frames instead of aluminum, good positioning/geometries,and decent shifting-although you will get the triple cranks,which isn't nescessarily a bad thing....
Check these bikes:

Giant- OCR
KHS -Flite 300
Fuji- Ace
Marin-Portofino
Jamis-Aurora
Old 08-20-2004, 07:58   #5
Vic303

I'll second Dave's suggestion of online auctions. I'll also add the idea that you checkout your local classified ads. You'll still have to know what you want in a bike, but you can find stuff online or in the paper at a good price. Auctions are also great for picking up roadie gear like bikeshorts/bibs, gloves, shoes for clipless pedals, clipless pedals etc, plus all the upgrades in parts for your bike...!;f

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:04   #6
git_r_dun0405
5FDP

Aight! Thanks for the Info.
Old 08-21-2004, 22:24   #7
Vic303

PM sent re: under 500$ bike.

Old 08-24-2004, 13:57   #8
git_r_dun0405
5FDP

Vicky,WOW! Thanks for the info. That bike really looks good. And for $499. Whew! Blew me Away!;P
Old 08-24-2004, 15:29   #9
Vic303

Glad to assist! I just happened to notice in the lastest STP catalog, that it fit your $$ limits perfectly, and it looks to be a decent core for a bike. I hope it is available in your frame size. PM me or Dave5339 if you need something in a 56cm instead. We can probably work out a deal for you in the event that 56cm is your best fit on a traditional Italian geometry.
--Vicky