SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:24   #1
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

BMI and Weight

I went into my doctor the other day for an ailment but as standard procedure, they weighed me. I stepped onto the scales and hit it at 108. I am 5'3". The nurse took my blood pressure and nothing else was said.

I got into the room and a few minutes later the Nurse Practitioner arrived. One of the first things she said was that my chart indicated that I'd been there in January and my weight at that time was recorded at 112. She said "you're down another 4 pounds."

I'm not sure if my doctor noted my chart back in January and this lady (FNP) caught it or what the deal is, but we had a 5 minute discussion on whether or not I was eating enough. I assured the FNP that I could outeat her given an appropriate meal.

Today I'm looking at a BMI chart.
http://www.consumer.gov/weightloss/bmi.htm
I'm over on the left-hand side but not considered "underweight". I'll be the first to admit that since my divorce my eating habits have changed dramatically (less red meat, more veggies, more soy, smaller portions) but I see this as a change for the positive, not the negative. What gives? Why are these people so convinced that I have an eating disorder or don't eat at all (this isn't the first time I've had someone make comments about how "skinny" I am)? Have we become a nation so consumed with weight in general that anybody who exercises and eats right is scrutinized just like those who are considered "obese"?
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:40   #2
Jeff S.
Carson Valley

If you're in shape and *you* know that you're fine then don't worry about 4 pounds, IMO. If you remain at your current weight then I would say you're fine, but if you keep loosing weight, then, uh, you might have a little problem. And never leave yourself hungry.

My girlfriend is 5'2" @ 110lbs. and she is skinny.
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:53   #3
sy2k

'Ever look around these days? 2/3 of Americans are overweight. 1/3 of those are morbidly obese. Maybe that's why people look at you and wonder. They're just not used to seeing thin people.

Sounds like you're healthy and eating well. Nuthin' wrong with being thin.

In defense of your NP, she's just being careful. Weight loss is a sign of many different disease processes...sounds like she wasn't worried after evaluating you.
sy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 20:42   #4
Katzbalger10

I wouldn't worry to much. I've been "overweight" on all height/weight and BMI charts since I was 12. As my Doctor told me then "the charts don't work for everyone". My current doctor loves the charts but can't fault my health. I'm 5'10, 197lbs, size 48 jacket, and a 33inch waist.
My only real problem is I can't buy off the rack, my suits and dress shirts have to be custom made.
Ten Ring-#1444, Ten Reloader-#1444, 1911-#1444
Katzbalger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:29   #5
live-free-r-die
Naked Pancakes

Southern Gal,

Often time your Dr will see bones and joints sticking out more than normal, this is a sign of malnourishment. Going from 112 to 108 is going from probably muscle you are loosing, I can imagine you have that much fat. When you burn muscle you can damage your heart, because it is a muscle.

Donít pay any attention to BMI is total BS. The reason for the enormous number of "overweight" people in the US is that BMI is what is used to grade what a healthy weight is. On the BMI Brad Pitt, Arnold, the Rock are all considered obese or overweight on the BMI, I have a 10% body fat and am in the obese rage on BMI. It was created along time ago before people were so muscular. Have you ever looked at pictures from a beach in the 60's? The women all looked fat and the men all looked anorexic.
Certified Glock Armorer
live-free-r-die is offline   Reply With Quote