Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-28-2004, 17:08   #1
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Got me a Canon!

Hey guys,

Hopefully, if all things go well, I should have my Canon Powershot A80 sometime this week. I have been hankering/salivating for this digicam ever since someone posted a glowing recommendation of it here on GT! oh some few months ago.

As it's a closeout item, I got this baby at a great price over at www.amazon.com

I'm looking into the Tamrac Digital 2 bag for the Canon A series, as well as looking to score some >2000mAH rechargeable batts. Any recommendations?

Man, I can't wait to play with this thing. Get ready to see some macro shots of my G19!;f

gman67
GOTOD #1/ G1 Niners Club #17/ Niner's Club #66/ MilSurp Club #762/ Rimfire Club #667
Let's Go Pens!
Glockman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:05   #2
Spen84107

Sweet!

Congratulations man... You'll love the A80. I have the A70, and it has been a great camera.

Congrats! ;c
40 S&W Club #8410
Kalashnikov Klub #5
Spen84107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 19:19   #3
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Spen84107
Sweet!

Congratulations man... You'll love the A80. I have the A70, and it has been a great camera.

Congrats! ;c
Yep, you shoulda seen me last thursday nite, lookin' all dejectingly when I found out all 4 local LEAST BUYS did not have the A80 in stock.

gman67
GOTOD #1/ G1 Niners Club #17/ Niner's Club #66/ MilSurp Club #762/ Rimfire Club #667
Let's Go Pens!
Old 08-31-2004, 18:01   #4
Dragline

What did the A80 end up costing you at Amazon? My brother is interested in one and I'm trying to nail down a decent deal for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:58   #5
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragline
What did the A80 end up costing you at Amazon? My brother is interested in one and I'm trying to nail down a decent deal for him.
$280 with the Free Super Saver shipping.

gman67
Let's Go Pens!
Old 09-02-2004, 18:31   #6
RichardinNC

We have an A-60 and it is really great. Was looking at the A-80 but wound up with the S1 IS. You really have to use the 10x optical zoom with the image stabilization to appreciate how well it works. It does have more more trouble focusing, though, because Canon didn't put the Autofocus Assist Lamp on this model.

I researched digital cameras (a lot) before buying our first Canon and the A-80 would have been my choice but the price was high back then. With the lower prices and features of the A-80 I think you have made a great choice. Canons also seem to have better ergonomics and feature set than most other brands. Post some pics for us!

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help"
RichardinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 18:35   #7
kimo

Glad you found what you like. I have a G5 and love it. Picture quality is excellent.
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 21:09   #8
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Yep, I went to a camera store this past weekend and I was curious about the S1 IS myself. Excellent with the 10x optical zoom and the ability to use it in movie mode (640 x 480). Downsides include missing AF lamp and 3.2 megapixels. Probably omitted to cut the price down.

Got home from work today and noticed a UPS slip stuck on my door. Will pick her up tomorrow morning. It's gonna be tough at work tomorrow.

Will post pics ASAP.

gman67
Let's Go Pens!

Last edited by Glockman67; 09-02-2004 at 21:12..
Old 09-03-2004, 17:19   #9
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Got the camera. Turns out, it will have to go back to Canon. One of the Viewfinder lens/mirror is cracked. Does not appear to interfere with actual operation, but still.
Seems I may have gotten a refurb camera from www.amazon.com The camera did not have the usual stickers on the right hand side (near the CF card door).

Arrgh....

gman67
Let's Go Pens!
Old 09-03-2004, 18:33   #10
RichardinNC

Quote:
Originally posted by Glockman67
Got the camera. Turns out, it will have to go back to Canon. One of the Viewfinder lens/mirror is cracked. Does not appear to interfere with actual operation, but still.
Seems I may have gotten a refurb camera from www.amazon.com The camera did not have the usual stickers on the right hand side (near the CF card door).

Arrgh....

gman67
I'm sorry that happened. Does Amazon sell refurb. items? If so, do they clearly state this? Looks like you should have a NIB camera for your money - one that hasn't been tried out and/or repaired. Canon does like those stickers and if they are missing than it is surely not a NIB camera.

About the S1 IS - The 3.2 megapixel doesn't seem to be an issue as long as the print isn't over 8 x 10. The focus assist lamp does make a big difference. We recently visited the aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN and my wife's photos with the A-60 were generally clearer than mine with the S1. The 10x optical zoom with IS is awesome! It has to be used to be believed. No macro mode but you can get inches away from the subject with shutter speeds so low that another camera wouldn't produce a good image. Another plus/minus is the electronic viewfinder. On a sunny day, you can use it to change your settings via the menu when the LCD is hard to see. Image capture is slower than the A series cameras. Another nice thing about the A-80 is the rotating LCD. It's easy to keep it from getting dirty and scratched.
Hope you get yours replaced soon - and with a NEW CAMERA.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help"
Old 09-10-2004, 23:35   #11
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Amazonians rule!

Ok, here's the update. Amazon decided to shoot me an email:

Thanks for contacting us at Amazon.com.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you experienced with your
shipment. I have placed a new order for the item. There is no charge for this replacement.

We must receive the item from your original shipment within 30 days from the date of this e-mail.

Well that was mighty nice of them.

Hope this one will be packed in a hardened aluminum case!;e

gman67
Let's Go Pens!
Old 09-14-2004, 15:10   #12
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Well I got the replacement in da mail today. It too has a crack or horizontal line in the optical viewfinder. I'm beginning to think that this might be normal, however the Canon tech I spoke with said it is not normal.

This is what it looks like:

Through-the-Lens Club

If the A70, A80 and possibly the newer models have it, then it could be a normal thing - but for what? Everywhere I read, the reviews say the Canon's optical viewfinder is terrible to begin with.

I'm very baffled at this point. ^8

Oh well, looks like I have a replacement camera to return.

gman67
Let's Go Pens!
Old 09-14-2004, 22:07   #13
Spen84107

Quote:
Well I got the replacement in da mail today. It too has a crack or horizontal line in the optical viewfinder. I'm beginning to think that this might be normal, however the Canon tech I spoke with said it is not normal.

This is what it looks like:

If the A70, A80 and possibly the newer models have it, then it could be a normal thing - but for what? Everywhere I read, the reviews say the Canon's optical viewfinder is terrible to begin with.

I'm very baffled at this point. ^8

Oh well, looks like I have a replacement camera to return.

gman67
You know, I was just looking at my A70. It has something that looks similar; a line across the viewfinder. Anyway, after really close inspection, I'm pretty sure mine isn't cracked. If I tilt the camera, it looks almost like light reflecting off the edge of glass.. but straight-on, it looks like a crack. When using the viewfinder, I can't see it. I can only see it if I hold the camera a couple inches from my face, and into the light.

Edited to add: Since this is not a single lens reflex camera, it will not affect the picture.. As long as it's not distracting while actually looking through the viewfinder, instead of at it, I vote for keeping it.
40 S&W Club #8410
Kalashnikov Klub #5

Last edited by Spen84107; 09-14-2004 at 22:13..
Spen84107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 15:53   #14
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Or am I being too much like Adrian Monk???

;f

;e

gman67
Let's Go Pens!
Old 09-15-2004, 18:55   #15
RichardinNC

Quote:
Or am I being too much like Adrian Monk???

;f

;e

gman67
If it were mine, I would want to know what the nature of this line is. Sounds like it is a defect, especially if Canon says it shouldn't be there. The fact that the camera functions properly would not keep me from wanting one without this defect. Sort of like dead pixels on the LCD. One or two might be OK but a larger number is not acceptable even though the CCD works properly and the camera takes good pictures. My A60 and S1 don't have this line and I don't think your A80 should. Just call me Adrian, I guess.

Old 09-16-2004, 22:05   #16
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Monk here,

Well I called the Canon tech support again this morning.

I fully explained to them that it is a horizontal line and it looks like it comes from two optics joining together to form almost like a prism's edge.

The guy told me it was completely normal and that Canon incorporates this line as a corrective feature to reduce parallax. I thought about this a bit, especially when I first discovered the line thinking it might have to do something with parallax, but wouldn't it be a vertical line? It seems to make sense now that a horizontal line can help with correcting/framing the top and bottom of a picture concerning the alignment of the optical viewfinder (eyelevel) plane of view with the lens'.

I guess that's my lame excuse. I've decided to keep the camera.

The A70 as well has the same line besides the A80. Several other camera makes, i.e. Kodak Easyshare so and so, has it too. These are called coupled viewfinders and I suppose they couple with the integral lenses to reduce parallax and an attempt to achieve a "what you see is what you get" result.

gman67
Let's Go Pens!

Last edited by Glockman67; 09-16-2004 at 22:08..
Old 09-18-2004, 22:20   #17
Wulfenite
The King

What's the pro's and con's of the A80 vs. the S400.

I've been looking at the S410. It seemed a little more apealing due the form factor.
Old 09-28-2004, 13:58   #18
Glockman67
#29 Supporter

Isn't the S410 the Digi Elph in 4.1MP?

If I had some extra dough, I would be interested in the S410.

Guess my macro feature works.

I love my A80, but not as much as....;e

gman67
Let's Go Pens!
Old 10-19-2004, 18:20   #19
Old Tom

My Cannon Powershot S-60 is small, neat, and takes great pictures.
Old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 16:28   #20
Grog

After my Fuji crapped out I've been wanting a replacement digi.

I was looking around staples today and they had an A80 on clearance for $199.50. I was talking to the manager and he said he'd take 10% off. I went for the 2yr extended warrenty cya.

After the 10% and $30 off $150 staples coupon plus warranty & tax I walked out the door for $197.

I remember the A80 being mentioned alot so I figured I'd take a chance. I would not have been able to go back until tuesday and it probably would have been gone.

I hope to have some good pics soon ;f
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote

« Film!! | APS film »