Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2004, 22:17   #1
jthuang
On The Jazz

Send a message via AIM to jthuang Send a message via Yahoo to jthuang
Your opinion of fingerless gloves

What's your opinion of fingerless gloves for cycling?

A buddy of mine uses them and says they should be enough because if you go down your hands really only need protection at the palm and back of the hand ... I dunno, I think your fingers may be affected if you're going down and you put down your hands to break your fall but I'll admit most of the damage probably goes to your palms in such an instance.

The above assumes high quality fingerless gloves, like the Joe Rocket Torque Flight or Hammer gloves.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:42   #2
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Would you ever see a racer wearing them? Not a chance, the speeds on a motorcycle are a ton higher than on a bike. Fingerless gloves won't do much to protect your hands at all in a crash.

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39   #3
Dandapani

Fingerless gloves are for posers.

I value my fingers as well as my palms and backs of my hands.

Ask your friend if he wants to put his digits onto a spinning grinder...
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15   #4
Compy
CompensateWhat?

Putting your hands down to break a fall is an excellent way to break your wrist and a few fingers

I don't believe the gloves make much of a difference. Get whatever feels best to you.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:29   #5
jthuang
On The Jazz

Send a message via AIM to jthuang Send a message via Yahoo to jthuang
Thanks, appreciate the responses. Most quality gloves are bearable in the summer (esp the perforated ones) so I don't really see the need for fingerless.
Old 09-04-2004, 00:31   #6
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I like gloves mainly to keep a good grip on the throttle and to keep my digits from going numb if it's cold out. In the event of a crash, I'd also much rather have the top layer of leather shaved off rather than my skin.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:44   #7
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Heck, I've hit plenty of big juicy Georgia bugs while on my bike and have felt the impacts through my gloves and pants (and tried looking through the goo on my faceshield too . I would imagine that a big bee or June Bug to the exposed fingers would be akin to being slapped across the knuckles with a metal ruler. I'll pass.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:40   #8
WERA49

Quote:
Fingerless gloves are for posers.
;a I agree completely.

I wear high quality gloves on the street and track. Actually, I use the same gloves for both. They have Carbon fiber/ Kevlar mold protectors over the knuckles, double stitched on the critical seams, padding between and extra piece of leather on the palm and a rubber cushion under the protectors.

I've crashed several times on them. They do wear out after a while. I'm now using my second set.

For cool weather I use Alpinestars with a liner.

After crashing many times and watching many more crashes, you won't cathch me without serious gloves while riding. Yes, I do wear a full face helmet (Arai) and a great leather jacket (Vanson). As you can see, I take safety seriously.

If you want to know what works, ask a racer. They are very hard on parts and safety equipment. Usually, they'll have a first hand story.

My gloves and helmet can be seen in my avatar.
Old 09-04-2004, 23:55   #9
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

My opinion is that they are next to useless, and as a trackday staff rider and tech inspector for MTC, I would fail them at tech inspection in a heartbeat.

www.mtctrackday.com
Eyespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 00:47   #10
RKC2000
OFOPOS

I don't expect my fingerless gloves to protect me in a crash. I expect that if my bike slips under sand/gravel in a turn, that my natural tendency would be to extend my palms to break my fall. The gloves do have some padding on the palm area. Some protection is better than no protection.

Ever fall off a bicycle when you were a kid? Remember what happened?

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Never though of fingerless gloves as 'for posers'. Mine are so old and faded they are far from making a fashion statement.
Old 09-05-2004, 00:54   #11
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

Quote:
Originally posted by RKC2000
I don't expect my fingerless gloves to protect me in a crash.
That's good, because in most circumstances, they won't provide very much. ^8
Eyespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:21   #12
ClickClickBoom
Sod Off

Send a message via AIM to ClickClickBoom
The one time I went down on pavement, I was wearing fingerless gloves. For starters, I can't stand gloves in general, in the cold, for working, for shooting, whatever. I hate the feeling of having my fingers 'gloved'. I was flung head first about 30 or so feet and landed face down on the pavement. I threw my hands out to catch me and the palms hit and slid down the pavement, saving my hands. Even when the bike caught up with me and pushed me another 20 feet or so down the road (Palms out, trying to avoid going under an SUV). My hands survived fingers and all without a scratch. The gloves survived, but in the palms they eventually started to seperate where the threads had been ground off.
RimFire #326, Niner #389, MotoClub #400, TenRing #428
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven'. Such is the rule of Honor.'
ClickClickBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 19:32   #13
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I believe any rider who spends a large amount of time on a bike professionally (racers both on and off road) will tell you as some have told me "wear the best saftey gear and get the best quality possible". Every piece you have on all adds up in a crash. You don't want that one piece you don't have on be the one piece you need (yes even fingers could matter). It's like a gun. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Besides with all the new technology, comfort isn't a big problem anymore. The new mesh and armor jackets, new helmet vent designs, and new vented gloves and boots are all very comfortable. Also, you always get what you paid for. BTW I suggest ONLY Arai helmets (by far the best helmet period IMO).
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 21:13   #14
Dandapani

Quote:
Originally posted by jthuang
Thanks, appreciate the responses. Most quality gloves are bearable in the summer (esp the perforated ones) so I don't really see the need for fingerless.
I just picked up a pair of full summer gloves, Olympia brand, that have holes in the leather on the backside, padded on the palms. These are very cool gloves, even tho they are finger-full
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote