SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2004, 14:18   #1
Eric
Big Giant Head

Harry Potter Fans Unite

How many other Harry Potter fans do we have out there? I just recently read the entire series, in a little over a week. These books will never be confused with literary masterpieces, but for pure escapist entertainment value, these are some of the most enjoyable books I have read. The plots are not complicated and the storylines are straightforward and well-rounded. Rowling has created a really delightful universe. Her characters are simple, obvious character archetypes for this sort of story, but they are engaging, well-drawn characters. She has created characters that easily won my sympathy and whom I have come to genuinely like.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed reading these books. These were uncomplicated stories, that didn't demand a lot of me, as a reader. They left me free to explore an enchanting new world. The detail and care with which she built this world is impressive. She obviously lived inside this place in her head for a great deal of time, fleshing it out and arranging everything just so.

These stories were obviously intended for a youthful audience initially and I think the cross-over appeal this story had for adults caught many by surprise. I don't know why though. This story is a compelling one and I can't imagine many adults who wouldn't mind reliving their youth, through the eyes of these wonderful characters. If you haven't read these books yet, give them a try. They offer quite an adventure.

JK Rowling herself is an interesting story. She was a financially struggling single mother, when she started the first Harry Potter book. This series has transformed here life. She made 236 million, last year. The kids playing the main characters will all turn eighteen, about the time the seventh and final book becomes a movie and they will be set for life. Can you imagine being able to retire at the age of 18, if you wanted to. Magic may not exist, but these kids are certainly charmed. Anyway, I've enjoyed the movies as much as the books. There are many inconsistencies between them, but if you can overlook that, both reading and watching these stories is quite a ride. The producers of the movies did an outstanding job casting these pictures and the musical scoring couldn't have been more appropriate. Eric
Old 08-12-2004, 15:07   #2
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

I haven't read these yet Eric, but my wifes best friend who is living here loves the stories. She is also my ex-girlfriend from many, many years ago, and her love for the series kind of took me aback. I was really surprised that she enjoyed it like she did. I will have to look into them when I get some free time.

Eddie C.
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 15:18   #3
MrsKitty

I have read the series. Loved every single word!

Somewhere I read that Rowling had Harry pictured in her mind somewhat but didn't have his appearance finalized. She was on a train when Harry walked down the aisle toward her. The boy's presence helped her to finish fleshing him out.

I didn't think I would enjoy the books at first. Once I started reading...I couldn't put them down! I think that has been alot of the appeal-simplistic story that anyone can follow yet it is beyond colorful. The world she created is amazing! The languange she used is entertaining for adults while being simple enough that a child can understand.

I can't remember what it was but Rowling supposedly modified another author's work to create the series. I wish I could remember what it was as I would like to read it...
Old 08-12-2004, 15:20   #4
engineer151515

Her efforts have netted her over $100,000,000. Yes, that's one hundred million dollars.

cool.........
Old 08-12-2004, 15:48   #5
GNut76
Got Guns??

I'm a fan of the movies

I plan to read the series after I'm done with The Gunslinger series by Stephen King
Black Rifle Club #76
Kalashnikov Club #95
Model 1911 Club #76
40 S&W #95
GNut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 16:11   #6
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Harry Potter Fans Unite

I read the first gunslinger, but I just couldn't get into the second one, or beyond.
Old 08-12-2004, 20:59   #7
DaveR120

Send a message via AIM to DaveR120 Send a message via Yahoo to DaveR120
My duaghter (13) has read them all - and at least one more than once.

Must be something good about them, since she is my 'smart' kid.
Big Dawg #694, Niner's #126, Wheelhouse #410, 1911 #1000
"What's the difference between a Liberal and a Conservative?" Ans: One Mugging
DaveR120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:55   #8
jthuang
On The Jazz

Send a message via AIM to jthuang Send a message via Yahoo to jthuang
I've got all the books and all the DVD movies. Haven't seen the latest movie yet but am going to get it on DVD at the very least.

I wish I hadn't seen the movies prior to reading the books. When I read the books, every time I thought of Harry I "saw" Daniel Radcliffe. I wonder what my imagination would have done with the main characters if I hadn't seen the movies first.

IIRC Rowling has announced the name of the next book but has not announced a release date. Hopefully it won't be three years in the making like the last book!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45   #9
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by jthuang
I've got all the books and all the DVD movies. Haven't seen the latest movie yet but am going to get it on DVD at the very least.

I wish I hadn't seen the movies prior to reading the books. When I read the books, every time I thought of Harry I "saw" Daniel Radcliffe. I wonder what my imagination would have done with the main characters if I hadn't seen the movies first.

IIRC Rowling has announced the name of the next book but has not announced a release date. Hopefully it won't be three years in the making like the last book!
It's wierd that you should say that, because I remember thinking exactly the opposite, when I read them. The producers of the movies did such a great job casting the parts that I don't think I could have imagined better faces for the characters. Eric
Old 08-13-2004, 09:12   #10
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric
It's wierd that you should say that, because I remember thinking exactly the opposite, when I read them. The producers of the movies did such a great job casting the parts that I don't think I could have imagined better faces for the characters. Eric
I agree. I knew who each one was just as soon as they appeared on the screen! I don't think it could have been cast any better.

I haven't seen the last movie yet. I am waiting to buy the DVD too but I dread seeing who the new Dumbledor (sp?) is... He was perfect.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:58   #11
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by misskitty5077
I agree. I knew who each one was just as soon as they appeared on the screen! I don't think it could have been cast any better.

I haven't seen the last movie yet. I am waiting to buy the DVD too but I dread seeing who the new Dumbledor (sp?) is... He was perfect.
The new Dumbledore is a disappointment. I didn't know that they had replaced him before seeing the movie. The new guy looks kind of sickly and his voice is grating. The first Dumbledore had an air of calm and wisdom about him. This new one just doesn't have the same presence. It doesn't detract from the movie much though. Eric
Old 08-13-2004, 10:18   #12
jthuang
On The Jazz

Quote:
Oh, I don't think they did a bad job of casting at all! I just wonder what my "imagination" would have done with Harry if I hadn't seen Daniel Radcliffe in the first movie. Maybe he would have been a black-haired version of Milhouse Van Houten from the Simpsons, you never know.

BTW the only character I thought was a bit miscast was Emma Watson as Hermione Granger. Wasn't she supposed to be a buck-toothed, frizzy-haired plain-Jane type? Emma Watson is none of those things (well maybe the frizzy-haired part is accurate). I am aware that Hermoine gets rid of her buck teeth in Year 5 but the movies haven't even hit Year 4 yet.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:22   #13
jthuang
On The Jazz

Quote:
The new Dumbledore is a disappointment. I didn't know that they had replaced him before seeing the movie. The new guy looks kind of sickly and his voice is grating. The first Dumbledore had an air of calm and wisdom about him. This new one just doesn't have the same presence. It doesn't detract from the movie much though. Eric
I was disappointed when I read in Entertainment magazine (prior to release) that Cuaron wanted to make the "new" Dumbledore more "human", so he had him dress in more ragged clothing and without the austere manner that Richard Harris had used.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen POA yet but this image of Dumbledore just doesn't fit. If he's the most powerful wizard in existence, Order of Merlin First Class and Chief Warlock on the high court, I hardly think he'd be walking around in rags. I guess I'll have to see how it comes out when I get the DVD.

Last edited by jthuang; 08-13-2004 at 10:36..
jthuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:24   #14
MrsKitty

Quote:
BTW the only character I thought was a bit miscast was Emma Watson as Hermione Granger. Wasn't she supposed to be a buck-toothed, frizzy-haired plain-Jane type? Emma Watson is none of those things (well maybe the frizzy-haired part is accurate). I am aware that Hermoine gets rid of her buck teeth in Year 5 but the movies haven't even hit Year 4 yet.
Hermione was a tad off, but still great. Such attitude. But no buck teeth in sight. I just wonder what they are going to do when she has her teeth shrunk?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:10   #15
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Oh, I don't think they did a bad job of casting at all! I just wonder what my "imagination" would have done with Harry if I hadn't seen Daniel Radcliffe in the first movie. Maybe he would have been a black-haired version of Milhouse Van Houten from the Simpsons, you never know.

I agree that Emma Watson isn't exactly like the description of Hermione Granger in the books, but I don't think they could have picked a better person for the roll. She fits the spirit of the part so well, it's scary. There have necessarily been a lot of liberties taken with the books in the movies, but I don't think many of them have been to the detriment of the final product.

I am a very visually-orriented person and I like having clear pictures of the characters in my head as I read. I am also very imaginative, so if I don't start out with a picture of a character, I spend an inordinate amount of time playing around with a character's look, in my mind. It is sometimes a bit distracting for me. In a book as rich in scenes and characterization as this series, it reaches the point of overload for me. Sometimes as I read, I will catch myself with a good book on my chest, daydreaming about the characters. Fleshing out their lives and building their world in my mind. Taking the characters on adventures that have nothing to do with the book. Sometimes my daydreams get so involved, I have a hard time getting back into the book's storyline. I've done this as long as I have been reading fiction. The castle, for instance, would have been a cunundrum that toyed with me a great deal, if I hadn't already watched the movie and had so many visual cues of how it looked. I would have spent a great deal of time mulling over what I knew about it and trying to build those descriptions into a single structure, in my head. My mind works in odd ways sometimes.

Anyway, the characters chosen for the movie really enhanced the enjoyment of reading the series for me. I was able to paint a much better picture of each character as I read, by applying the looks, mannerisms, accents, etc... that the characters had in the movies. When I read Hagrid's dialog, I could hear him speak. When Malfoy smirked in the book, I knew just what it looked like.

There are a lot of little things that I pictured differently while reading the series. Fawkes, the Phoenix bird, looked a bit too much like a buzzard in the movies, for my taste. I was also disappointed with the werewolf that Lupin became. I had a much better picture of that creature, in my head. The wooden, unrealistic look of the centaurs in the movie tainted those characters for me a bit, when I read the books. All in all though, watching a couple of the movies before reading the series for a thoroughly enjoyable experience, for me. Eric
Old 08-13-2004, 15:36   #16
Gunlawyer

Big fan here!

Law School killed off all urges to read for fun. Reading such a high volume of dry, tedious "works" for three years burned me out on reading in a big way.

Then, a couple of years later, I saw one of the Harry Potter movies, thought it was cool, borrowed the first book...and discovered I loved reading again! These books are great! I read them over and over and over. Thanks Harry! I can't wait until the next one!

As an aside, as I read these books again and again, I keep thinking that a team of skilled snipers could really "solve" the whole Voldemort/Death Eater problem quicly and easily. If only Harry carried an UZI!
Gunlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:34   #17
Alexii
Janeway Forever

Quote:
You do know that the first actor who played Dumbledore, Sir Richard Harris, passed away after the second HP movie? I always thought that Ian McKellen (LOTR's Gandalf) would fit the role like a glove-- powerful, wizard-like, and has the appropriate voice quality.

BOG #13
Alexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:08   #18
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexii
You do know that the first actor who played Dumbledore, Sir Richard Harris, passed away after the second HP movie? I always thought that Ian McKellen (LOTR's Gandalf) would fit the role like a glove-- powerful, wizard-like, and has the appropriate voice quality.
Yea, I'm sure I heard that Harris died when it happened, but I wasn't a Harry Potter fan and it didn't register. I guess they did the best they could re-casting the part. Even so, there are things they could have done to make this new guy more consistent with the character of the first Dumbledore. Little things, like the color and richness of his hair and beard, would not have been hard to change. The new guy could have spent a little time studdying Harris's performance and tried to emulate it better, as well. As I said though, this change didn't have a much of an impact on the movie, for me. Eric
Old 08-15-2004, 10:44   #19
Mrs. VR
Administrator

I've read all of them (So has VR and our 8 year old) and seen the first two movies...what did you all think of the last book? I didn't like Harry as much in that one. I guess she was trying to paint a realistic picture of a teenage boy, but I found myself getting annoyed with him on occasion!

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:52   #20
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
I've read all of them (So has VR and our 8 year old) and seen the first two movies...what did you all think of the last book? I didn't like Harry as much in that one. I guess she was trying to paint a realistic picture of a teenage boy, but I found myself getting annoyed with him on occasion!
I agree. She was making it a little hard to be completely sympathetic with him, the way he kept flying off the handle. I thought that she would tie these outbursts into the plot later on, but it never happened. Perhaps she is foreshadowing something that happens later in the series. Eric