Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-10-2004, 00:14   #51
ColoradoGlocker
Former Member

ColoradoGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:26   #52
Glock-N-Fun

CG,

Thank's,i keep forgetting that there are glockateers on this board that haven't been around firearms that long.
Glock-N-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 19:43   #53
mballai

I believe the issue of Glock KBs that are not absolutely ammo related, are probably more how a gun handles high pressure. I gave up a much liked Glock 30 when the 45 KBs started surfacing. No I didn't believe it was going to KB, but guns don't always scale up the same: compare a .40 HP with the original in 9mm. I am not sure if they can beef up a polymer frame in the event you get some off spec ammo. My take is that Glocks are best in 9mm packages. If nothing else stay away from cheapo ammo.

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley Jr.
mballai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 22:17   #54
Ulysses

Any firearm can fail if it gets old, is misused, wears out, used out of design, or is loaded with dangerous ammunition.

Glocks require correct handling, and ammunition which complies with the specifications.

If you push them beyond their capabilities beyond the break point you get KBs....

Just use it correctly it will serve you well.

No reason to drink kool-aid and chant...
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 23:02   #55
philkryder

Send a message via AIM to philkryder
Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses
Any firearm can fail if it gets old, is misused, wears out, used out of design, or is loaded with dangerous ammunition.

Glocks require correct handling, and ammunition which complies with the specifications.

If you push them beyond their capabilities beyond the break point you get KBs....

???
40 club #137
philkryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:54   #56
fabricator
Got Biodiesel?

Quote:

No reason to go all sheepleish either.
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:57   #57

Quote:
mmmmmm, kool-aid mmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aid ;f

Sugar free, of course ;b
Old 09-13-2004, 22:43   #58
Glock4Life

Well done post by WGA. I'm glad they finally stickied the KB issue. Being a graduate of both H.S. and college physics, I must concur with the original poster. Oh, and I'll take my Kool-Aid with a touch of Grey Goose please.
Old 09-14-2004, 14:05   #59
petej88

Quote:
Originally posted by sjstill
mmmmmm, kool-aid mmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aidmmmmmm, kool-aid ;f

Sugar free, of course ;b
I cannot get this catchy tune out of my head, "kool-aidmmmmmmm".;c
Old 09-16-2004, 10:52   #60
BrokenArrow

Not bad!

Not as good as Dean's kB FAQ, but not bad.

Unsupported chambers may contribute to case failures, and case failures may contribute to kBs? Beats me. More support is better than less (until it interferes w reliability anyway) but enough is all anybody really needs. Glocks have enough for the FBI, DEA, Marshals, ISP, etc.

Good point though. Many of ruptured bbls I have seen (in Glocks, USPs, 1911s, Berettas...) did not rupture at the bottom position where the case had the least support. Many were on the sides or tops of the chamber... and lets not forget "38 Super Face" in 1911s was around long before kBs in Glocks, and 38 revolvers blew up plenty of cylinders too.

I _still_ think (but can't prove) the 40 cases were, and still are, failing more in all guns than the 9/45 ever did though. The 40 case may be closer to the edge where it gets interesting when you or the manufacturer mess up enough? AND the Glocks may be closer to the edge than some other designs too for a variety of reasons that are not "defects". So what? Live w it; plenty of good benefits that outweigh that risk (if any). ;b
BrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 13:37   #61
gary newport

At my regular range, a display case hangs on the wall. Mounted in that display case are two big Smith N-frames and a bull-strong Ruger single-action. These revolvers are in very sad shape, with bowed and broken topstraps, and cylinders that are missing big chunks of steel.

An overpressure event can happen in any gun. I've never asked about these particular revolvers, but I can imagine something along the lines of "well, I was loading my usual charge of Unique, but I forgot I had Bullseye in the powder measure", or "I had a bullet stuck in the barrel so I decided just to shoot it out".

Be careful out there!

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:43   #62
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
philkryder:

Quote:
Any new news from Portland? Do they really continue to use Glocks?
To the best of my knowledge, yes, Glock apparently took back all of Portland Police Bureau's G21s and supplied them with G17s (G17 is what most PPB officers carry already, G21 was approved for those officers who chose to carry it instead of a G17).
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:06   #63
petej88

With all due respect for the Portland City Police, it all sounds too much like a heavy handed budgeting maneuver by the City of Portland. I would not be surprised if someone got a pay raise/promotion for this ploy to standardize on one caliber at the expense of another company.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:09   #64
BrokenArrow

kD!?

kaDrop!

This Teutonic polymer wonder was just dropped by an Austin PD (TX) officer during an arrest scuffle and it broke into pieces! Have another of a USP that was dropped and broke like this too... ;b
Old 09-18-2004, 11:17   #65
philkryder

Re: kD!?

Quote:
Originally posted by BrokenArrow
kaDrop!

This Teutonic polymer wonder was just dropped and it broke into pieces! Have another of a USP that was dropped and broke like this too... ;b
how is this relevant?
40 club #137
Old 09-18-2004, 11:35   #66
BrokenArrow

Gadzooks!

I posted a pic, do I have to draw ya a picture too!?

It's relevant in that stuff happens to _everybody_ sooner or later. A Walther P99 had a PMC case failure on a local range here and it cracked along the same lines as the one above, but held together.

Some Swiss cops had their new SIG P229s fracture slides and bounce pieces off the shooters just like some US military Beretta M9s did... Baltimore County PD broke 52 of their SIG P226s... HK USP compacts have been breaking firing pins for years... all excellent guns too.

Glocks do break. For a variety of reasons. So do other guns. You can worry/post excessively about it like they do on this forum, or just ignore/ live with it like they do on the other forums.

We don' need no stinkin' kB FAQ and/or primer no more than nobody else does! ;b
Old 09-18-2004, 11:43   #67
philkryder

Re: Gadzooks!

Quote:
I posted a pic, do I have to draw ya a picture too!?

It's relevant in that stuff happens to _everybody_ sooner or later. A Walther P99 had a PMC case failure on a local range here and it cracked along the same lines as the one above, but held together.

Some Swiss cops had their new SIG P229s fracture slides and bounce pieces off the shooters just like some US military Beretta M9s did... Baltimore County PD broke 52 of their SIG P226s... HK USP compacts have been breaking firing pins for years... all excellent guns too.

Glocks do break. For a variety of reasons. So do other guns. You can worry/post excessively about it like they do on this forum, or just ignore/ live with it like they do on the other forums.

We don' need no stinkin' kB FAQ and/or primer no more than nobody else does! ;b
Thanks - your humor was obviously too subtle for me.
When you posted a non-Glock that had KB's and then said that it failed due to dropping, I couldn't see how it was relevant.

It's one thing for "stuff to happen" - It's quite another for someone to claim it is due to a design failure.

If you feel this thread bores you, just feel free to hold down on the alt key and press the left arrow.
Phil
40 club #137
Old 09-18-2004, 14:39   #68
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
petej88:

Personally, this sounds more like knee-jerk reaction than calculated ploy to standardize a particular cartridge.

A great number of police agencies standardize one cartridge for duty use, and if PPB wanted merely to do that, they could've done it simply enough by ordering officers to turn in their .45s a long time ago.

I think that the brass passed a brick when they were informed of "gun explosions" and implemented the first and (to them) most obvious reaction- replace the model that "exploded" with another model already in use, which hadn't "exploded".

"And, make it fast, the media is gonna be all over this!"
Old 09-19-2004, 02:25   #69
Justin1584
Snow

Send a message via AIM to Justin1584
Re: kD!?

Quote:
kaDrop!

This Teutonic polymer wonder was just dropped by an Austin PD (TX) officer during an arrest scuffle and it broke into pieces! Have another of a USP that was dropped and broke like this too... ;b
NO WAY ;P Please post that USP pic.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:31   #70
BrokenArrow

Bored!?

No way! I think this is interesting as heck.

Here's the broken USP pic. IIRC, the full size USP went into the plastic case OK after shooting. Case was dropped, when it was opened later, gun came out looking like this.

Obviously a design defect that needs attention, unless ya think these are anomalies and/or it's the only time it happened and I just happened to run across the pics?

Now who's gonna write that Walther/HK kD primer? ;b
Old 09-21-2004, 14:49   #71
BigDozer66

Quote:
Originally posted by sjstill

Sugar free, of course ;b
Sugar Free?

Man that stuff will stunt your growth!

Hey Kool-Aid!

BigDozer66
BigDozer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 16:11   #72
JSK333

Send a message via AIM to JSK333
One other question is: if the round is charged to a point higher than it is designed to handle, will it matter much in the long (or short) run how much case support it has?

I would venture: it will blow the case, regardless, because the pressure is past the point of what the case can handle (A + B = C, so Z is irrelevant).

I wonder if the difference between blowing out mags and mag releases, etc., and splitting the barrel, is due to how much bottom support the chamber has.

More support = split barrel, less support, blown out parts. Thoughts?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." -John Adams
JSK333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 17:23   #73
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

JSK333:

I do believe that's what WalterGA was referring to with his "pop-off valve" analogy earlier.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:22   #74
shootingbuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Metric
To reiterate my non sequitur, you have defined a "KB" in such a way that most people will never see one. That doesn't change the fact that an unusually large number of people experience catastrophic failure, due in part to unsupported chambers, and report them here on this message board.

I suppose one of us should mention "Solomon juice" at this point, right?
FLASH - A KB is not a case failure. With a case failure it is something wrong with the ammo. It is a fact that a more fully supported chamber is less likely to have a case failure, but when things go boom it is better to have the case go first then to hope that the more fully supported chamber holds all that pressure.

Now for the rub. A KB is not a case failure. Just in case amy did not get that in WGA's post.

sb
Old 10-14-2004, 11:42   #75
KNOW 1

SO,...

is a case failure due to a particular point on the case, which just happens to line up with the unsuported part of the barrel, or is it the entire circumference of the case and any part would fail where unsupported. If the former is true, could it fail at any point on the circumference of the case? If so, could a case failure occuring somewhere other than the unsupported part cause a Kb? If the latter is true, then I see the point, "a case failure is not a Kb."

Just don't know how case failures occur.
KNOW 1 is offline   Reply With Quote