Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2004, 18:33   #1
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Mac Users Question on managing/archiving pix.

Greetings,
I am getting a new digital camera with 8.2 MP. IPhoto was fine for snapshots with my 2 MP camera, but I am wanting to get a bit more serious about my photography. If I use iPhoto, I'll fill my hard drive in no time! Is there a program for mac that will help me organize/archive my pics?

I guess what I am looking for is something sort of like iphoto, but with the ability to archive. I want to be able to dump the photos from the main "photo library" onto CD/DVD, but keep thumbnails in the "photo albums." When I go to the album and click on a thumbnail, it would tell me which CD/DVD the original photo is on.

Does such a thing exist? Why won't iPhoto do this?
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 18:50   #2
chrismartin

As cheap as HD's are I would recommend a RAID for image storage. The problems with CD's and DVD's are that they are fragile and their lifespan may be limited depending on how they are stored. I would use them for backup perhaps, but I still trust my RAID's more.

For a professional image management system, look at http://www.canto.com/

Chris
Glockers of the Old Dominion #101
chrismartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 19:30   #3
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Good thought!
But even RAIDs get backed up. You seem pretty storage savvy, so I guess what I am looking for would be near-line storage. RAID being online, and tape back up being offline. With near-line, I wouldn't need to run a restore like I would with with offline, and I am not tied to external storage like I would be doing online storage (I am mainly doing this stuff on my powerbook).

RAID might be a good option for some, but I don't need lightning fast access to my archived stuff, and I don't want to invest in a DLT to back it up.

As far as fragility and life-span, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure optical media is more stable than magnetic.

As a network engineer, I'm a big fan of RAID, but I don't think it quite fits this particular need for me. Thanks for the help, though!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:39   #4
hile

Send a message via AIM to hile
Scowan007 --

Go with RAID1 if you want any redundancy; if you've got more than about 20% writes, raid5 performance starts to suck (esp. s/w raid).

What the hell, why not go for broke and get a Hitachi 9980 (*grin, duck, and run *)

Right now I just keep my photos in the 40GB internal disk on my sun server (my iBook is the desktop/laptop machine). I should be replacing that sun with another one soon so that I can hang a disk array off of it (12 x 73GB disks, 2 as hot spares, so in effect a 5x73GB mirror for homedirs).
hile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:32   #5
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hile
Scowan007 --

Go with RAID1 if you want any redundancy; if you've got more than about 20% writes, raid5 performance starts to suck (esp. s/w raid).

What the hell, why not go for broke and get a Hitachi 9980 (*grin, duck, and run *)

Right now I just keep my photos in the 40GB internal disk on my sun server (my iBook is the desktop/laptop machine). I should be replacing that sun with another one soon so that I can hang a disk array off of it (12 x 73GB disks, 2 as hot spares, so in effect a 5x73GB mirror for homedirs).
[drools over equipment list];f
Old 09-27-2004, 18:18   #6
hile

Hahah. All I've got right now is a Netra x1; i hope to replace it with a Netra T1 soon enough (and a 2x450 US-II Ultra 60 for a desktop )

-C
Old 09-27-2004, 19:39   #7
noway

spending X amount of $$$.$$ on raid to provide redundancey for photos is a waste. If you think your HDD is not fragile then you are fooling your self.

If you want a cheaper solution get a FireWire external drive and mount it whenever you want to build or add to an archive, that with burning a low cost CDs is the way to go.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:49   #8
hile

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
spending X amount of $$$.$$ on raid to provide redundancey for photos is a waste. If you think your HDD is not fragile then you are fooling your self.
That really depends on what he's using. Using crap ATA drives, I would say your statement has merit. However, if he's using Real Hardware(tm), he'll get a better performance boost and have a lesser likelihood of a disk failure. Hell, I've got SCSI disks from 1996 still chugging along fine. That does not mitigate the need for reliable backups, though. To a degree, RAID 1 does (insofar as you can loose half the mirror without losing data), but I'd still be budgeting a solution for backups if my data were that important -- Even disk to disk backups since tape is so bloody expensive.