Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:56   #1
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Pics and thoughts...

Well using a borrowed camera I took some pics at the ALMS race at Mosport last month. I may have talked my way into a press pass next year

Any suggestions on how to improve the pics? Many of them are a little grainy and I am not sure if that is a film problem or a camera lens trouble. I used Kodak 400speed with a Minolta SLR with a high speed setting. And a 200mm lens.

I am looking at buying a decent camera if I can swing it for next year. Something under 1k with lens, cheaper if possible.
I would like to do it as a semi pro type hobby.

This years
http://racing.cfsipgames.com/

Last year
http://racing.cfsipgames.com/mosport03/ (just a few, many of the good ones didn't get uploaded)
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 14:39   #2
General Sherman

Any grain came from the film or the processing, not the lens.

I would have used a longer lens for some of the shots. A zoom 80 to 300 would have been better for composition from a fixed vantage point. I would have used a tripod if possible to eliminate camera shake and increase sharpness.

Remember to pan with the moving cars.
And anticipate the shots like around a curve ("corner" in race terms) and over a rise.

Also I would have used the ISO 400 premium film from Kodak (I forget what they call it now, maybe Ultra). It gives less grain but costs more.

It will not be easy to find a complete outfit for under $1000 but it probably can be done by using a good but less costly lens such as a Sigma.

Remember the heros of United flight 93 including Georgine Corrigan. "Lets roll"
General Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 16:14   #3
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
I found a roll that was left over, 400 Max. And the lens was the only one I had(not my camera, I definitly want more glass when I get one.

I was doing the panning thing as well, but I didn't have a monopod(tripod wouldn't work there)

Ok, at least it isn't totaly me... lol I was afraid of the camera $$$ I will probaly look for a used one.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:28   #4
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Personal preference. I'd slow down the shutter speed a bit to show motion. Very nice pics.
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:44   #5
Hauptmann6

Wish I could, the camera has 2 settings, normal and high speed...
Old 09-13-2004, 11:42   #6
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

If you're more of an advanced photographer (eg you know how to use shutter speed and f-stop to manipulate the image you want), I'd suggest the Minolta Maxxum 7. Body only, it's around $400, which is about $300 to $400 cheaper than it was just a few years ago.