Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:04   #1
ChettW
Computer Geek

I want to drop weight, cannot go to gym...

I was laid off last month and am still having a hard rime finding a job. I am 5'9 and at 240 lbs. I just turned 26. 4 years ago I dropped 50 some pounds in around 2.5 months. I ate 5 times a day, worked out 5 times a week alternating upper and lower body exercise. I also took Xenedrine with my small meal at ten and again at 3. I got off work at 5 and went straight to the gym. I then ate mostly protein and a carb drink after the workout.

My problem now is I cannot afford to go to the gym. What can I do here at the house? Thanks for your time and information!
Rimfire #9304
10 Ring #999220
ChettW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:20   #2
California Jack

First, I would Google "Tabata". It is a short yet intense workout that can be done sprinting and with bodyweight squats and with other exercises . It is effective for weight control, better than more traditional aerobic type exercise.

There are numerous bodyweight exercises you can do. Dips, chin ups, pushups, handstand pushups can all be done without going to a gym. There are other bodweight exercises too.

You could also make a sandbag and do sandbag carries, deadlifts, presses. Try searching Matt "Wiggy" Wiggens or Brooks Kubick for ideas.

I would;

Sunday-- Tabata
Monday-- Bodyweight Strength Training
Tuesday-- Brisk long walk or jog
Weds--Sandbag or bodyweight strength train
Thurs-- Tabata or intervals
Fri-- Bodyweight Strength Training
Sat--rest

This is just my idea, I'm sure you'll get other better ones.

Good luck,
Jack
Old 09-08-2004, 14:46   #3
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Get yourself a set of dumbells, you can do just about any type of lifting exercise with them. Just do the exercises you did at the gym with the dumbells.

And put on your running shoes and have at it! Take advantage of your lay off, now you have plenty of time to exercise and watch what you eat.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 14:59   #4
KraziGlocker
Family Guy

Send a message via AIM to KraziGlocker
;z he is definately right bout havin all this time for taking care of your body...i member one summer taht i had off....gym in the morning for 1.5 hrs and basketball in the afternoon...lost a lot of weight and had great cuts....well..in reply to your post...watch what u eat first and foremost...aerobic activity can be done in a number of ways...i like basketball or biking...i would suggest finding a way to use weights...u need to find a rec center or something that has reasonable prices...my rec center charges $25 dollars a month..its not a great gym but i would be able to do what i have to do...remember ...u get what u put in...if ur a slack ass...ur results wont come.

Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofa***** die for his.
George S. Patton

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
KraziGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 15:07   #5
ChettW
Computer Geek

Thanks for all of the response guys, I really appreciate the help. Do you think taking anything like Xenadrine or any metobolizm based supplement will help?
Rimfire #9304
10 Ring #999220
Old 09-08-2004, 16:19   #6
KraziGlocker
Family Guy

Send a message via AIM to KraziGlocker
well...its been posted b4...supplements are only supplements..you have to have ur diet and workouts down before dipping into supplements..once u got that down...try reading bout some of these supplements listed right
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/we...rs-reviews.htm

Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofa***** die for his.
George S. Patton

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
KraziGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 19:17   #7

Well, its an age old simple formula. Eat only what your body actually needs. I mean just go run 2 or 3 miles and eat less. IT will work. Your body only needs so much food for fuel. The rest becomes fat. You don't need any supplements or special routines. Just PT (sit ups, push ups, running) and eat less. Good luck. And by the way I lost 30 pounds in the last few months doing this. And thats while working alot. Have fun.
Old 09-16-2004, 19:30   #8
geminicricket
NRA Life member

The Herschell Walker exercise was 500 sit-ups each day.

It seems to have been ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 19:47   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

;Q You'll do yourself a world of good if you find ways to eliminate: refined white sugar, high fructose syrup, and highly processed carbohydrates (chips, doodles, crackers, etc.) from your daily diet. You can carry this health regimen a step further by, also, eliminating all enriched white flour and potatoes.

This might sound like it's easy to do; however, quite a few everyday foods will be have to be eliminated from your daily diet - not the least of which is any form of white or, 'whole wheat' bread. ('Whole wheat' is a popular misnomer. What you're actually looking for is, 'whole-grain' and preferably barley flour bread.) Are these diet changes worth the effort? Well, I was able to lose 63# in 7 1/2 months doing nothing more than this. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-17-2004 at 17:36..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 19:50   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Arc Angel
;Q You'll do yourself a world of good if you find ways to eliminate: refined white sugar, high fructose syrup, and highly processed carbohydrates (chips, doodles, crackers, etc.) from your daily diet. You can carry this health regimen a step further by, also, eliminating all enriched white flour and potatoes.

This might sound like it's easy to do; however, quite a few everyday foods will be have to be eliminated from your daily diet - not the least of which is any form of white or, 'whole wheat' bread. ('Whole wheat' is a popular misnomer. What you're actually looking for is, 'whole grain' and preferably barley flour bread.) Are these diet changes worth the effort? Well, I was able to lose 63# in 7 1/2 months doing nothing more than this. Good luck to you.

Good post.

Let me just say the high fructose corn syrup is like crack. Coke, its tough to quit. I thin I need a patch....
Old 09-16-2004, 20:21   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally posted by JUSTACOP
Let me just say the high fructose corn syrup is like crack. Coke, its tough to quit. I think I need a patch....
Yeah, Coke is tough to quit all right! It ain't the high fructose syrup that's so hard to give up, though - It's the highly potent, pharmaceutically-enhanced COLD caffeine! ;g Which reminds me of that other change I made - Straight, no minerals added, water!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-17-2004 at 17:36..
Old 09-17-2004, 10:27   #12
ChettW
Computer Geek

Well, I am cutting out potatoes and pop right off the bat. I am doing push ups and about as many crunches as can until the burns makes me stop I feel better. My back has not hurt in a week so far so good.
Rimfire #9304
10 Ring #999220
Old 09-17-2004, 11:42   #13
Medpilot 2
Smkumifyagotum

Send a message via AIM to Medpilot 2 Send a message via Yahoo to Medpilot 2
Quote:
Originally posted by BCR
Get yourself a set of dumbells, you can do just about any type of lifting exercise with them. Just do the exercises you did at the gym with the dumbells.

And put on your running shoes and have at it! Take advantage of your lay off, now you have plenty of time to exercise and watch what you eat.
That's some good advice. I'd follow that up with some diet tips.

Like people above are saying, cut out anything with refine sugar. Try and cut your sugar intake down to no more than 20-30grams a day. One thing I do is stock up canned vegetables. Peas, beats, corn, green beans ect. They are cheap convenient and have a low sugar content. Next I would advise lots of chicken or fish added into your diet.

My favorite exercise with dumbbells are rearward lunges. Take 20-50lb dumb bells and hold them next to your side while standing. Then step back about 2-3ft. with one foot and come down on that knee. Do that alternating between each leg and that will burn lots of calories in a short time.
Medpilot 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 17:34   #14
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

;P If this thread keeps up much longer I'm not going to have any, ‘secrets’ left! I really did lose 63# in 7 1/2 months. One of the reasons I did this was because - suddenly, out of the blue - I flunked a stress test. My doctor was very smug; he prescribed a dung-load of medications for me; (You know, the ones they advertise on TV all the time.) and told me to seriously consider losing weight. I told him I wasn’t going to take any of his; ‘stinking pills’ but I would lose the weight. I could tell that he didn’t believe me; but, then again, I doubt that many of his patients are, ‘mule stubborn’ Sicilians like me!

Between you and me I did try the cholesterol medications for, about, 3 or 4 days. The stuff made me nauseous. At first I just stopped eating; then, I got a couple of books: ‘Sugar Busters’ was a help; but it didn’t really tell me, ‘How’ the human body works and processes all of the popular foods that comprise that horrifically bad national diet that we, all, eat and are exposed to everyday of our lives. The book that really wised me up is Diana Schwarzbein’s, ‘"The Schwarzbein Principle". Dr. Schwarzbein is an endocrinologist with a specialty in diabetes and heart disease. (Nice looking woman, too!) She became tired of watching heart patients suffer and die prematurely. Her highly specialized medical education put her at odds with the American Heart Association – whose diet recommendations she wholeheartedly disagrees with! (What else is new?)

Six months after I read these books (and several others) I was retested for: cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar excretions. I went from, ‘off the top of the charts’ to (Are you ready?) well below normal; and I DID IT WITHOUT TAKING ANY OF THE POPULARLY PRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS! My smug physician was, sort of, shaking his head while he read my new, ‘stats’ to me. He defended his position by saying; ‘Mr. Angel’, there are very few patients who are willing to completely change their lifestyles the way you have.’ ‘I seldom see a patient’s readings complete reverse the way yours have!’ At the time I was, still, having a problem with triglycerides; so I questioned the doctor at length. Imagine my amazement when I discovered that all of the HIGHLY-PROCESSED carbohydrates we eat all the time are the real culprits, here! I suspected, ‘fat’ or ‘red meat’ but it was the damned: white bread, crackers, chips, and doodles - instead!

With all due respect, I’d like to comment on some of the vegetable items previously mentioned: The high starch, ‘killer vegetables’ are potatoes, (Did I spell it right, Dan?) carrots, corn, beets, turnips, and parsnips. In short, any high simple-starch veggie will quickly turn into sugar in your body and demand either considerable exercise or insulin production in order to be consumed by the body’s metabolic processes.

Still there’s a little good news, here; these are all natural, unrefined, unprocessed, simple-starch vegetables. In and of themselves they won’t hurt you. What you really have to beware of is THE SYNERGISTIC EFFECT of these veggies when eaten in combination with all the other crap that you’re taking in – like high fructose carbonated soda! Lucky for me that I never had a taste for Coke because, if I did, I probably wouldn’t be writing these words right now. High fructose anything is a terrible, insulin producing, ‘sugar jolt’ to your body; and, while carbonation may tickle your tonsils on the way down, it also acts as a, ‘insulin expediter’ to get your food intake quickly digested.

The many possible, ‘eating solutions’ to avoid weight gain are diverse and impact on your entire lifestyle. I watch these ads on TV and laugh to myself: Like the number of, ‘grams of fat eaten’ is going to do any good, whatsoever, when that meal of (more or less fat) is taken in conjunction with all of the other: highly-processed carbohydrates, ‘enriched’ white flours, hydrogenated oils, and refined white sugars that are simultaneously taken in.

WHAT ABSOLUTE, MASS MEDIA, ADVERTISING CRAP!

The long and the short of it is that the human body needs a balanced daily diet of (Are you ready?) unprocessed, UN:TAMPERED WITH: proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. This realization led me to begin eating:

MORE WHOLE-GRAIN BREADS,

(Here’s the secret of buying bread: The more ingredients listed on the label, the worse it is for you; and never forget that any, ‘preservative’ is actually a poison!)

MORE FRESH VEGETABLES,

(If you’ve got the time to open a tin can, you’ve, also, got the time to rinse and: oil, blanch, sauté, or boil a few vegetables. I like to mix several different vegetables into a mélange; and I’ll throw in things like raw almonds or cashews, too.)

MORE FRESH FISH, (Not farm-raised and not excessively, ‘oily’!) and,

MORE 100% NATURAL OR, 'FREE-RANGE' CHICKEN, and

MORE GRASS-FED MEAT. (In limited amounts of, say, 2 or 3 meals a week.)

I, also, drink a lot of UNPROCESSED WATER; and my edible oils of choice are olive, canola, and peanut.

Yes, there are days when I feel like; ‘Somebody out there is trying to poison me!’ but, I consider this attitude on my part to be a healthy form of, ‘dietary paranoia’. It has led me to carry an insulated lunchbox in my truck. I keep a small bottle of olive oil, a fresh lemon, some Cayenne pepper, and organic vinegar with me whenever I’m out for the day. These condiments and a salad from anywhere along with a couple of sandwiches and bottled water from home always get me through the day. In an emergency a couple of cans of sardines or a piece of low-sodium natural cheese, also, sees me through.

(Any large supermarket carries this stuff; but, let me ask you; ‘How many people would think to stop at a supermarket for a meal rather than a restaurant?’ ‘Not too many, right!’)

Finally, the human body is made to move; so exercise is always good. If you don’t get enough daily exercise, find an outdoor hobby that you like and pursue it. For me it’s guns and shooting. In a world rife with constantly increasing cases of: adult-onset, Type II, diabetes, high blood pressure, and several different forms of heart disease, being significantly overweight is NOT a good thing.

I hope I’ve been able to point out to you that this is NOT all your fault! It’s the totally invasive damned national diet that’s really the culprit, here! America’s poisonous national diet has been killing you and me for years. My suggestion would be for you to do what I did: Get off it before it’s too late!

Here’s a list of things I no longer do:

(1) Eat at any, ‘chain franchise’ or, ‘fast food’ restaurant.

(2) Eat any, ‘junk food’; i.e.: potato chips; crackers; or ‘doodles’. These dietary exclusions include all forms of hydrogenated oil-soaked: french fries, fried chicken, commercially prepared, ‘chicken fingers’, or ‘wings’; commercial barbeque sauces; or commercial, ‘flavored-fat’ hamburgers; and, just about, any highly-processed, nitrate-loaded, ‘lunch meat’ or, ‘cold-cut’ on the planet!

(3) Eat commercial, highly-processed, breakfast cereals.

The same rule that applies to buying bread, also, applies to selecting breakfast cereal. (Who would have thought!) I stay with, ‘bare bones’ shredded wheat; whole-grain Kashi; and hot, slow-cooked, whole-grain oatmeals.

(4) Eat, ‘feedlot’ beef or pork.

The same animal feeds that, ‘bulk-up’ the cows and pigs will, also, ‘bulk-up’ YOU!

(5) Eat any highly-processed cheese. Natural, low sodium, and goat cheeses are best.

(6) Eat any unwashed fruit or vegetable.

I spray everything with a vinegar and organic soap detergent wash and follow with a water rinse before eating it.

(7) DRINK ANY FORM OF CAFFEINE,

or any other type of commercially prepared beverage – including bottled water. (If it’s got, ‘additives’ on the label, then, I don’t drink it.)

(8) Naturally I don’t smoke. (I did when I was a teenager; but, like many of the other, ‘vices of youth’ I finally outgrew it.)

(9) I, also, don’t drink; but, then again, I never did. (Well, maybe, 2 or 3 beers a month, or a shot of high-quality bourbon over the holidays or when I have a cold.)

(10) Use any kind of artificial sweetener(s).

(11) ‘Pop pills’. I do take modern medications; but I’m very chary about which ones and when to take them. I, also, avoid – AT ALL COSTS – this modern trend to vaccinate against every, ‘bug’ that comes along.

Modern vaccines contain significant amounts of mercury (Thimerosal). It’s in there as a preservative; (???) and it’s a real killer! What, the Hell, good does it do you to cure one disease and acquire another? God bless American soldiers; today, they’ve got more than, just, bullets and bombs to dodge. (Sometimes it needs to be recognized that, ‘the enemy’ isn’t always some guy who is running at you, screaming, with a bayonet on the end of his rifle!)

(12) Believe, almost, anything I’m told on TV; but, then again, the best lies are always, ‘half-truths’; so, you’ve got to be very careful and highly selective about what you take in.

That’s right! I’m not, just, talking about what you eat, here. After all, if you knew something was bad for you, you wouldn’t take it in the first place, now, would you! Another thing is for damned sure, too: The TV news people aren’t going to tell you anything you really need to know. (They’d much rather spend their time trying to take your guns away!)

(13) Pass a day without prayer. I believe in praying in order to accomplish anything you hope to achieve. (But I’ll bet my, ‘screen name’ is a sure, ‘giveaway’ - here.)

Good luck to you, all!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-17-2004 at 18:44..
Old 09-18-2004, 09:56   #15
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

I had a similar experience

I was laid off in 2001 for six months. Starting the day after I got laid off, I started walking twice a day every day. I lost the first 15 or so pounds in this fashion.

I always exercised first thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast. I found that I didn't want to eat as much after exercising.

Exercise is also going to aid you in dealing with the stress of losing your job. It was how I "dealt".
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 19:47   #16
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChettW View Post
I was laid off last month and am still having a hard rime finding a job. I am 5'9 and at 240 lbs. I just turned 26. 4 years ago I dropped 50 some pounds in around 2.5 months. I ate 5 times a day, worked out 5 times a week alternating upper and lower body exercise. I also took Xenedrine with my small meal at ten and again at 3. I got off work at 5 and went straight to the gym. I then ate mostly protein and a carb drink after the workout.

My problem now is I cannot afford to go to the gym. What can I do here at the house? Thanks for your time and information!
Hate to break it to ya, but weight loss is 90% diet & only 10% exercise. Take a good honest look at what you're eating.

"Arc Angel" has it right (even though I eat way less meat/dairy & do enjoy coffee almost daily (1 cup).

Last edited by AA#5; 11-06-2010 at 00:38..
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 20:14   #17
Eyescream
hates you

Holy zombie thread, Batman.
Old 10-02-2010, 17:26   #18
proactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyescream View Post
Holy zombie thread, Batman.
Um seriously. Whiskey Tango...
proactive is offline   Reply With Quote