Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-31-2007, 16:10   #426
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
question

My dog has become very obedient, that is when i have his attention. But when he is off leash in my back yard and he starts sniffing a trail it is very difficult to break his concentration. Come, whistle, ect nothing with work. what do you think?
Along the lines that Blinky wrote, get a 30-50ft lead. Let him use that everytime outside and call him when finished. Being attached to you, he HAS to come eventually, have a treat in your hand waiting. Do the treat thing several times. Pretty soon the dog will realize, coming to you means reward (physical, food and verbal!).
Done deal after that.

Thanks again Blinky for picking up my slack.
Old 08-31-2007, 16:16   #427
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Along the lines that Blinky wrote, get a 30-50ft lead. Let him use that everytime outside and call him when finished. Being attached to you, he HAS to come eventually, have a treat in your hand waiting. Do the treat thing several times. Pretty soon the dog will realize, coming to you means reward (physical, food and verbal!).
Done deal after that.

Thanks again Blinky for picking up my slack.
Hey man! Glad to see ya around! I was wondin' there for a bit. How's the pup?
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 16:17   #428
G20man32904
Deceased

I'm about to place the 2nd order for rebar for her to chew on. Plum outta 4X4's.
Old 08-31-2007, 16:21   #429
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
I'm about to place the 2nd order for rebar for her to chew on. Plum outta 4X4's.
hahahaha..nice. Any recent pics of her?
Old 08-31-2007, 16:35   #430
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinky
hahahaha..nice. Any recent pics of her?
How's this?
Captioned "Are you freakin tawkin to me?
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

And the ever present "is She staying???
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

Taken 10 minutes ago
Old 08-31-2007, 16:40   #431
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Awesome! They look great!
Old 08-31-2007, 21:44   #432
ppk/sfan
Miracles Happen

Send a message via Yahoo to ppk/sfan

We are still working on potty training here! Doing prety good. SHES GROWING SO FAST!!!!! Got another vet appointment for next shots on Tuesday and I can't wait to see how big she is now!

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you guys posted on Molly's progress!
ppk/sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 15:51   #433
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

G20,

Are all e collars created equal? is there a good one out there for around $100 to $150? What should i look for in an ecollar?
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:23   #434
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
G20,

Are all e collars created equal? is there a good one out there for around $100 to $150? What should i look for in an ecollar?
No, Central, I can't say that they are, however I think you could get a decent one like this SPORT BASIC G3 and have way more options. Basics are to be able to change the rate of intesity on the fly so to speak. Different corrections will need different levels of intensity.

So, like most, you do get what you pay for.
Old 09-19-2007, 14:08   #435
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
No, Central, I can't say that they are, however I think you could get a decent one like this SPORT BASIC G3 and have way more options. Basics are to be able to change the rate of intesity on the fly so to speak. Different corrections will need different levels of intensity.

So, like most, you do get what you pay for.
i bought the very model today. I cant wait to learn enough about it to start using it. thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 17:36   #436
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Hey do you mind looking at the following link and tell me if this is right on with how i should use the e collar?

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/castle3.htm
Old 09-20-2007, 09:50   #437
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Hey do you mind looking at the following link and tell me if this is right on with how i should use the e collar?

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/castle3.htm
No need, its right on.
Old 10-01-2007, 20:56   #438
speck

Eowyn (my 18 month old Ridgeback) and I have been working on things -- and we're mostly happy at this point. She comes when called in the park and in the yard, she sits and stays and lays down and rolls on yer side when asked... we're working on heeling, but she's got the idea (just hasn't decided if it's a good one yet.)

The last thing we need to work on -- dog aggression at the park and in the car / on walks. If she can't get to another dog to sniff it and stand over it, she turns into a barking, snarling, standing on her hind legs mess. And if she doesn't like a dog at the dog park? She chases it until she can roll it, and then she chomps on it's neck (using her soft bite, no scars, no blood, the dogs usually aren't unhappy but the owner DEFINITELY is!) until it lays still and lets her sniff it, then she loses interest permanently.

In the car, she will leap and bark at joggers, bicyclists, and other people with larger dogs. *my* working theory is that it's protectiveness, because she uses the same "I'm threatened" bark as when she's barking at someone who rang the doorbell or came in the door that she didn't recognize.

How do I start to work on this? I have private trainers available in the area, but they're expensive as all heck on my state-salary budget. I've tried correcting her, but she's completely focused on the threat and not listening to me. I'd love to say, "Let me define what's a threat and what's not instead of you using your instincts", but I don't know where to start getting that across. Any ideas?
speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 21:18   #439
G20man32904
Deceased

Absolutely Speck,
I hear ya

What you got is an alpha female. What you have to do is assert your dominance over here at the dog park. This is VERY common among folks that never mention how the "stay" command is working. So that is your assignment. Work her "down stay" command up to an hour in the dog park. Start slow at home first and get that good with no distractions then slowly work in heavy distractions.

As far as the car, this one you need a driver or a remote correction collar. Also having a professional do some agitation while in the car will do exactly what you are looking for in defining what is a threat and what isn't. Please, please, please DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN, YOU CAN RUIN YOUR DOGS CONFIDENCE IN A MATTER OF SECONDS!!

Tell me what you think
Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 07:47   #440
speck

Quote:
Absolutely Speck,
I hear ya

What you got is an alpha female. What you have to do is assert your dominance over here at the dog park. This is VERY common among folks that never mention how the "stay" command is working. So that is your assignment. Work her "down stay" command up to an hour in the dog park. Start slow at home first and get that good with no distractions then slowly work in heavy distractions.

As far as the car, this one you need a driver or a remote correction collar. Also having a professional do some agitation while in the car will do exactly what you are looking for in defining what is a threat and what isn't. Please, please, please DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN, YOU CAN RUIN YOUR DOGS CONFIDENCE IN A MATTER OF SECONDS!!

Tell me what you think
Mike
Yeah, I knew she was an alpha female. And oh boy does she regard me as 'above' her ... my girlfriend too. We don't have any problems with her in the home.

Ok. I'll work with a professional in the car...

Re: the park -- she down-stays just fine, even up to an hour. She'll down stay this long at home too. The only time we have the issue is if a jogger or bicyclist passes nearby.. there's a biking/jogging path right outside of the fence. The other problem is getting her attention and getting her to break off the chase. I'll see if my friend still has the remote correction collar that she bought and decided not to use.
speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 21:08   #441
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by speck
Yeah, I knew she was an alpha female. And oh boy does she regard me as 'above' her ... my girlfriend too. We don't have any problems with her in the home.

Ok. I'll work with a professional in the car...

Re: the park -- she down-stays just fine, even up to an hour. She'll down stay this long at home too. The only time we have the issue is if a jogger or bicyclist passes nearby.. there's a biking/jogging path right outside of the fence. The other problem is getting her attention and getting her to break off the chase. I'll see if my friend still has the remote correction collar that she bought and decided not to use.
Well, if the down stays are good, try this. When she is in a down stay have your girlfriend play the role of a jogger/bicyclist. Keep the leash on the dog and before your girlfriend goes by the house, discreetly put your foot on the leash. When she tries to get up, she'll get a correction. Toss in a good firm NO and maybe a reward when she calms down and after a little while things should work themselves out.

This just my suggestion. If Mike has a different idea then you should try that first.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29   #442
G20man32904
Deceased

That will work

Also, you can do some work inside your local pet store. Just tell the employees ahead of time so they know what is going on. Most times they will help you for free.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:51   #443
Guod

Anyone have a suggestion on working with a leash agressive dog?

To make a long story short, my dog was attacked while on his leash by a pit bull. I was trying to let him off so that he could fight the battle unrestrained, but we got all tangled up. Luckily he was able to pin pit, and the pit ran off( I don't think it was full grown), but I think it was a very traumatizing experience for him.

If people bring dogs over to the house and he is properly introduced to them, they have a good time, and being a 100lb dog, he is still gentle enough to play with my yorkie and not hurt her. He is nice around people, and friendly with kids.

If he is off leash, he will even play with dogs just fine that he has met, like say at a dog park.

Unfortunately, when you take him out on a leash, and he encounters a strange dog, he will bark in a very menacing manner. He obviously feels extremely vulnerable on his leash, and I don't seem to be helping.

Any ideas of what I can do to help my buddy out? Is this something I may need a professional trainer for? I just don't know if the problem is now more me, or him. I wonder if I have pent up apprehension now that I am not even aware of, causing him to get that way.
Guod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:00   #444
G20man32904
Deceased

Re: Anyone have a suggestion on working with a leash agressive dog?

Quote:
Originally posted by Guod
I just don't know if the problem is now more me, or him. I wonder if I have pent up apprehension now that I am not even aware of, causing him to get that way.

BINGO!
You could try an E-collar but again we need to deal with you more than the dog.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33   #445
Guod

If there was one thing I would say if I had to analyze myself, I would say that I probably tense up as we approach a dog. I am preparing in case he freaks, as I would certainly not want to lose hold of him, so anticipate, and I am sure he can sense this.

I tried a prong collar, which I also couple with another collar in case the prong collar "pops" during correction, as I have heard they can do. The thing is, I have tried lots of different types of collars and leads, and nothing has ever worked long term. Like the prong collar is fine when I am just correcting him with it for little things, which really are few and far between as he is pretty good just walking and stuff, and if I tell him to stop doing something, he will stop. But when it comes to dog incidents, he acts like the prong collar isn't even there

I have considered e-collars, but have been worried that if I correct him during an "incident" with it, he will actually think it is the other dog causing the shock, and will become more aggressive.

if I were to try one, any suggestions on material to learn to properly use it, and what collar to use?

It's all just very depressing in a way, because he used to be such a happy go lucky dog, but some jerk with no experience with pit's decided to just let his newly adopted dog off leash in a park, and now I have to deal with the results.
Old 10-03-2007, 16:13   #446
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Guod
If there was one thing I would say if I had to analyze myself, I would say that I probably tense up as we approach a dog. I am preparing in case he freaks, as I would certainly not want to lose hold of him, so anticipate, and I am sure he can sense this.
Here in lies your work. I'm positive he is picking up your tension. Work on this and just using a normal metal "choker" collar and do a lot of down stays in front of other dogs. When you can get him to drop on a hand signal from 20-50ft with dogs around and then stay for 30-45minutes, you will have won!.

1 page back for e-collar stuff
Old 10-03-2007, 17:20   #447
Guod

OK, so let me know if this seems like a good plan. I am going to take him to the local dog park where there are always people getting in and out of cars with dogs and walking them to the play area. Then from a distance, when I see a dog, I will get him into a down/stay, and then allow him to acknowledge the dog is there, but correct him if he begins getting excited. Basically just have him look at the dog.

Then over time, do this and get closer and closer and closer until I can have him calm within a close distance of other dogs.

The reason I kinda ask this is because some people would say that as soon as they react you are supposed to turn around and walk away. I was worried that I was setting the dog up for a confrontation by having him see the dog, and then forcing him to stay and look at it. Although this was what my first inclination was to do.

And of course number one, I need to try and be confident, and have zero reaction myself to the "sighting" of another dog.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-04-2007, 15:24   #448
Guod

Actually had an unexpected crazy incident today. Was walking both of my dogs...the one in question, and the little yorkie. I decided to just go with a straight choker like you said, and made sure it was up nice and high.

Well we were walking in a very narrow passage, basically it's a walkway between the fences of two houses and out into a park. Well there were a couple dogs barking at this one house, and next thing I know, this little bugger of a pug or some such actually comes out from a hole dug under the fence. My large dog definitely started to get a little nutz, but I simply put some pressure on the chain, and he pretty much calmed. The yorkie on the other hand was freaking...lol

I stayed calm, and thats what I think worked with the big guy. I figured that should the pug or whatever it was come to attack, he would either rethink by the time he got there, or my dog would would give him a pretty good whoopin well before he got to the yorkie...of course last resort, I would would throw its stupid butt back over the fence.

Had another "incident" later where a dog kinda came out of nowhere, I remained calm as he started to "go after it" but with a little pressure he calmed down and all was well

I was really happy with him and me. Next test will be the dog park.
Old 10-04-2007, 15:58   #449
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Right on Guod!! It's amazing how much the little things matter isn't it? A relaxed state of mind coupled with the proper tools and technique is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Blinky; 10-07-2007 at 22:20..
Old 10-05-2007, 14:02   #450
G20man32904
Deceased

The gentleman that taught me everything I know, the very first day of training he told me "That leash is an electrical power line going straight from your heart to the dogís brain". If you are anxious, uncomfortable, angry, etc, your dog, will pickup on those emotions immediately.

One more thing, you donít want your dog to even look at the oncoming dog, he should be focused on you and nothing but you. Be a little more aggressive and take command. If you donít, he will.

Sounds like you aare making leaps and bounds!

I wish you the best!
Mike