SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2007, 22:07   #421
ppk/sfan
Miracles Happen

Send a message via Yahoo to ppk/sfan
G20 - Thanks for all your help in PM. I just wanted to tell you (and everyone) that keeping Molly attached to me for the past 2 days has REALLY made a big difference. She's actually sleeping in the room with me (in her crate) and NOT barking for hours on end. She's been testing me & trying to figure out her pecking order, but things are definitely better.

We are heading in the right direction! Thanks!
ppk/sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 18:45   #422
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by ppk/sfan
G20 - Thanks for all your help in PM. I just wanted to tell you (and everyone) that keeping Molly attached to me for the past 2 days has REALLY made a big difference. She's actually sleeping in the room with me (in her crate) and NOT barking for hours on end. She's been testing me & trying to figure out her pecking order, but things are definitely better.

We are heading in the right direction! Thanks!
I'm glad to do it ppk.
I have told you the secret to a well trained dog and you are applying it daily.
Now if I could just get everybody else to follow it, I would be out of a job!.
Old 08-16-2007, 19:47   #423
ppk/sfan
Miracles Happen

Well today I slacked off because I'm sick "as a dog"...and I let her get away with more than I should have. And it showed. Feeling better though, so its back to the grindstone tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2007, 13:08   #424
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

question

My dog has become very obedient, that is when i have his attention. But when he is off leash in my back yard and he starts sniffing a trail it is very difficult to break his concentration. Come, whistle, ect nothing with work. what do you think?
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 14:02   #425
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
well, since I'm not sure when Mike is going to be back, I'll chime in here. There are a few things you can do to get the "recall" down.

The first thing you can try is to use a 6 foot leash and get a few people to help out. Go out side and stand in a circle with the dog in the middle. Start with the leash in your hand and call the dog. If the dog doesn't come right away give him a quick leash correction and call him again. Once he comes to you, praise him and maybe give him small treat. After that, toss the leash to someone else in the circle. Have them do the same thing.

If you can't do that or after he has that down you need to get a longer leash. If you have some rope you can tie that to his normal leash to extend the length also. Wait for the dog to start doing his own thing and then call him. If he doesn't respond give him a quick correction and try it again.

One thing you need to watch is your body language. If you have the dogs attention but he is not coming to you, bow slightly, turn around and start walk away while continuing to call him. This will also encourage your dog to come towards you. Once he gets close don't forget the praise!

Last edited by Blinky; 08-31-2007 at 14:05..
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 16:10   #426
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
question

My dog has become very obedient, that is when i have his attention. But when he is off leash in my back yard and he starts sniffing a trail it is very difficult to break his concentration. Come, whistle, ect nothing with work. what do you think?
Along the lines that Blinky wrote, get a 30-50ft lead. Let him use that everytime outside and call him when finished. Being attached to you, he HAS to come eventually, have a treat in your hand waiting. Do the treat thing several times. Pretty soon the dog will realize, coming to you means reward (physical, food and verbal!).
Done deal after that.

Thanks again Blinky for picking up my slack.
Old 08-31-2007, 16:16   #427
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Along the lines that Blinky wrote, get a 30-50ft lead. Let him use that everytime outside and call him when finished. Being attached to you, he HAS to come eventually, have a treat in your hand waiting. Do the treat thing several times. Pretty soon the dog will realize, coming to you means reward (physical, food and verbal!).
Done deal after that.

Thanks again Blinky for picking up my slack.
Hey man! Glad to see ya around! I was wondin' there for a bit. How's the pup?
Old 08-31-2007, 16:17   #428
G20man32904
Deceased

I'm about to place the 2nd order for rebar for her to chew on. Plum outta 4X4's.
Old 08-31-2007, 16:21   #429
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
I'm about to place the 2nd order for rebar for her to chew on. Plum outta 4X4's.
hahahaha..nice. Any recent pics of her?
Old 08-31-2007, 16:35   #430
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinky
hahahaha..nice. Any recent pics of her?
How's this?
Captioned "Are you freakin tawkin to me?
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

And the ever present "is She staying???
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

Taken 10 minutes ago
Old 08-31-2007, 16:40   #431
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Awesome! They look great!
Old 08-31-2007, 21:44   #432
ppk/sfan
Miracles Happen

We are still working on potty training here! Doing prety good. SHES GROWING SO FAST!!!!! Got another vet appointment for next shots on Tuesday and I can't wait to see how big she is now!

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you guys posted on Molly's progress!
Old 09-16-2007, 15:51   #433
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

G20,

Are all e collars created equal? is there a good one out there for around $100 to $150? What should i look for in an ecollar?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:23   #434
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
G20,

Are all e collars created equal? is there a good one out there for around $100 to $150? What should i look for in an ecollar?
No, Central, I can't say that they are, however I think you could get a decent one like this SPORT BASIC G3 and have way more options. Basics are to be able to change the rate of intesity on the fly so to speak. Different corrections will need different levels of intensity.

So, like most, you do get what you pay for.
Old 09-19-2007, 14:08   #435
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
No, Central, I can't say that they are, however I think you could get a decent one like this SPORT BASIC G3 and have way more options. Basics are to be able to change the rate of intesity on the fly so to speak. Different corrections will need different levels of intensity.

So, like most, you do get what you pay for.
i bought the very model today. I cant wait to learn enough about it to start using it. thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 17:36   #436
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Hey do you mind looking at the following link and tell me if this is right on with how i should use the e collar?

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/castle3.htm
Old 09-20-2007, 09:50   #437
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Hey do you mind looking at the following link and tell me if this is right on with how i should use the e collar?

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/castle3.htm
No need, its right on.
Old 10-01-2007, 20:56   #438
speck

Eowyn (my 18 month old Ridgeback) and I have been working on things -- and we're mostly happy at this point. She comes when called in the park and in the yard, she sits and stays and lays down and rolls on yer side when asked... we're working on heeling, but she's got the idea (just hasn't decided if it's a good one yet.)

The last thing we need to work on -- dog aggression at the park and in the car / on walks. If she can't get to another dog to sniff it and stand over it, she turns into a barking, snarling, standing on her hind legs mess. And if she doesn't like a dog at the dog park? She chases it until she can roll it, and then she chomps on it's neck (using her soft bite, no scars, no blood, the dogs usually aren't unhappy but the owner DEFINITELY is!) until it lays still and lets her sniff it, then she loses interest permanently.

In the car, she will leap and bark at joggers, bicyclists, and other people with larger dogs. *my* working theory is that it's protectiveness, because she uses the same "I'm threatened" bark as when she's barking at someone who rang the doorbell or came in the door that she didn't recognize.

How do I start to work on this? I have private trainers available in the area, but they're expensive as all heck on my state-salary budget. I've tried correcting her, but she's completely focused on the threat and not listening to me. I'd love to say, "Let me define what's a threat and what's not instead of you using your instincts", but I don't know where to start getting that across. Any ideas?
speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 21:18   #439
G20man32904
Deceased

Absolutely Speck,
I hear ya

What you got is an alpha female. What you have to do is assert your dominance over here at the dog park. This is VERY common among folks that never mention how the "stay" command is working. So that is your assignment. Work her "down stay" command up to an hour in the dog park. Start slow at home first and get that good with no distractions then slowly work in heavy distractions.

As far as the car, this one you need a driver or a remote correction collar. Also having a professional do some agitation while in the car will do exactly what you are looking for in defining what is a threat and what isn't. Please, please, please DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN, YOU CAN RUIN YOUR DOGS CONFIDENCE IN A MATTER OF SECONDS!!

Tell me what you think
Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 07:47   #440
speck

Quote:
Absolutely Speck,
I hear ya

What you got is an alpha female. What you have to do is assert your dominance over here at the dog park. This is VERY common among folks that never mention how the "stay" command is working. So that is your assignment. Work her "down stay" command up to an hour in the dog park. Start slow at home first and get that good with no distractions then slowly work in heavy distractions.

As far as the car, this one you need a driver or a remote correction collar. Also having a professional do some agitation while in the car will do exactly what you are looking for in defining what is a threat and what isn't. Please, please, please DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN, YOU CAN RUIN YOUR DOGS CONFIDENCE IN A MATTER OF SECONDS!!

Tell me what you think
Mike
Yeah, I knew she was an alpha female. And oh boy does she regard me as 'above' her ... my girlfriend too. We don't have any problems with her in the home.

Ok. I'll work with a professional in the car...

Re: the park -- she down-stays just fine, even up to an hour. She'll down stay this long at home too. The only time we have the issue is if a jogger or bicyclist passes nearby.. there's a biking/jogging path right outside of the fence. The other problem is getting her attention and getting her to break off the chase. I'll see if my friend still has the remote correction collar that she bought and decided not to use.
speck is offline   Reply With Quote