SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2005, 20:17   #51
G20man32904
Deceased

Tyler,
Notice how "this" is in a different color? That shows you its a link. Click on it and it will take you to Amazon.com and book called,
The Art of Raising a Puppy, by the Monks of New Skete. Its the best housebreaking guide in print IMO.

Yes, your Dane should be fine for three hours.
Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 20:09   #52
DennisP

G20,
I am DennisP's wife and I'm writing with a HUGE problem. Now I'm new to this whole GT thing, but I'm trusting you can help me out since he's out fighting crime at work and I'm at my wits end. We have a 14 month old german shepherd that we got from a local breeder here in Tampa who breeds shepherds for HCSO. Now, when we met with the breeder to get her he mentioned she had a high prey drive... back then we shrugged it off and figured it would be no biggie- we've had a dobbie and we now have a lab- training is nothing new to us, we could handle it, that's part of the breed... WELL, tonight at our advanced dog obedience class at our local Petsmart we were informed that some of the other trainers saw our shepherd, Liberty, at the previous class and they thought she was "aggressive". Now we have scheduled a private class on Friday to meet with the head trainer who has aggressive dog experience. Needless to say I'm a little surprised. Not by the fact that they said something, but more because it is her third class there- why now? And... honestly, being told your dog may be aggressive kinda makes you feel like you've been called by the principal at school for bad behavior. So here's the deal. Liberty has some issues, and we need the help. She barks- and I mean barks at things she isn't familiar with- kids, other people, other dogs. Depending on the situation, she has adapted well to exposure to these unfamiliar things- Here's a perfect example- we take her to a running trail. At first she barked at every person, dog, or living thing... now, she couldn't care less. We have taken her to the dog park- and although she barks like mad outside the fence, once inside she is fine and plays with the other dogs. My husband has brought her to my work and she hasn't barked there. Now we do have some neighborhood kids who she still barks at on a regular basis.. but she used to bark at everyone, and now she doesn't. We don't want her to bark, but how do you get her to stop? When she is out with the lab she doesn't bark as much- almost as though he is her security. So, we take her separately thinking she will be forced to be alone and work through it- doesn't really work. We praise her like crazy when she leaves it and doesn't bark. Some days it will be great, other days, horrible. There's no consistency. It's hard having one dog as a registered therapy dog and the other as a "possible threat". I can't help but think there's more to the issue than just her breeding, especially since the behavior hasn't been there forever-it only started in the last 4 months or so. Now we've been told not to take her to the dog park because she may be unreliable. We were also told not to tell her "No" or "No Bark" like previously told, but instead we were encouraged to try not to respond negatively at all for fear it would pass our anxiety on to her... so we have tried the Dog Whisperer thing of putting a choke collar really high up on her neck and slightly tugging if she attempts to bark. That works some of the time too, yet it isn't practical at all times since the collar slips down. I know this was long, and I apologize, but I sure hope you can help. We don't want our really sweet and loveable dog to be seen and labeled as an "aggressive" dog nor do we want people to be afraid of her (unless for the right reason). Please help!!
BIG DAWG #548
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 21:15   #53
10mm4ME!
Bureaucrat

Always Runnin' away

I got a question for you. We've got a 15 week old Chihuahua who is always running away when we try to pick him up. It's like a game that get's oooold fast. Will working on "come" with the leash as you have advised work with this?

Another question. Our little guy pees in his kennel at night. I get up once in the night to let him out so he's not waiting more than 5 hours at a time. Is that too much for his age? Also, should I remove his bedding as you have suggested for others? Otherwise he does a really good job of using his litter and going outside when we take him out.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 21:17   #54
10mm4ME!
Bureaucrat

peepee chi

Here is a picture of the little turd.
Old 03-23-2005, 21:24   #55
Laramie In MT

Send a message via AIM to Laramie In MT Send a message via Yahoo to Laramie In MT

Not a trainer but...

Quote:
Originally posted by 10mm4ME!

Another question. Our little guy pees in his kennel at night. I get up once in the night to let him out so he's not waiting more than 5 hours at a time. Is that too much for his age?

Thanks
From all that I have read, you dog can wait as many hours to pee as it is old.

EXAMPLE
2 month old puppy can go 2 hours
3 month old puppy can go 3 hours...
Laramie In MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:44   #56
G20man32904
Deceased

Mrs. Dennis P,
Welcome to GT and here are my suggestions:

I have seen this situation many times and it’s really not too big of a deal to get a handle on.
My favorite analogy for this is: You bought a Ferrari to get the groceries home and now its not quite running as well as it should so you take it to the local mechanic who has no idea how to fix it.
Bottom line you have a dog with strong drives and those drives need to be worked, and worked a lot.
My suggestion would be to find a Schutzhund club in Tampa and start going every weekend. The reason behind this is 2 fold, first it will give your girl more confidence and 2 teach her when it is ok to bark and when it is not.
Don’t worry about the aggressive dog comments, you own a shepherd that was bred for police working environments. YES your dog can be aggressive, just by the nature of its breeding, but with proper training it could be the best dog you have ever owned.
As far as not telling the dog “no”, I know a few trainers that use this technique with good success over longer periods of time, however I like faster results and so do my clients. I use “no“ and a firm, quick, leash correction with the collar up as high as possible. The key here is to be prepared, before moving into an environment where she might bark lift the collar up high and then flood her stimuli to get her to bark. When she barks just say NO, 1 word that is crucial. If you go off on a long speech the lesson is lost. Just say NO, give a firm leash correction, and when you win (she stops barking) start to walk closer to the stimuli with her in the heel position. If she is doing a proper “heel” she can’t be barking right? Use your OB commands to distract her and don’t just stand still in front of the stimuli trying to correct her. Use the “heel” command and get her thinking about what you want, instead of what she wants. The barking started about a year old because that’s when the dominance starts. She is telling you she should be the alpha female because you are not responding to all of these threats around her.
I would use a good food reward with the kids as long as the kids don’t taunt her thru a fence or while she is outside. Kids like to do that kind of thing and the dog will remember that. If that’s the case just use the NO with the leash correction. Also when correcting her for barking, you cannot stop until you win. What that means is she has to be focused 100% on you before you move on. If not she wins.
Just found an email addy for a Tampa Schutzhund club, just send them an email and maybe go watch them practice one morning. You will be shocked at what they can do. ;P
Topdawgsch@aol.com
I hope that covers most of your questions, let me know what you think
and how it goes and if I can answer anymore questions. I love to help LEO families out as a thank you for their service to us.

Last edited by G20man32904; 03-24-2005 at 09:06..
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:03   #57
G20man32904
Deceased

Re: Always Runnin' away

10mm4ME,
Very Cute PUP!!
This one is easy.
Ok, first up, no chasing the little guy, only he can win at this. Keep him on a leash while you are on home and tie it to you, this is for housebreaking, chewing, stealing, barking etc. He should be coming to you not you going to him if you are the alpha. This will take some time for him to get used to you to going to him but if he gets NO attention other than when he comes to you he will soon realize the jig is up and he is not the alpha.

Peeing at night in the cage,
Ok 2 hours before your bedtime no more water for him. Yes remove the bedding asap. Have you tried a small room with his crate open and a litter box in his area? As long as he doesn’t get into anything I would go that route for litter box training. BUT either train him for the litter box OR outside, not both at this point. I would use the box for now and when that is 100% then teach him he can also go outside if opportunity permits. Doing both at once is just confusing him. There is no reason for him not to be holding it all night unless the possibility of a Urinary tract infection or some other health problem.
Let me know how it goes and if I can answer anything else.

bigblueyeddevil, while that is a little on the conservative side, it is also talking about daytime and actual holding time. Nighttime is very different because the pup is sleeping most of this time, so 8-10 hours for 12-14 week old shouldn't be a big deal if a water schedule has been followed.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:17   #58
DennisP

G20,
I just wanted to say thanks for the advice, it really was a great comfort to my wife and I. We will try your tips and we will go take a look at the schutzhund group. Also your analagoy was first rate.
Thanks again.
Dennis P.
BIG DAWG #548
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 16:35   #59
Soldat
Big Dwarf Rodeo

My wife and I have a Mastiff named Odin that's approaching 8 months old. He is a big sweet lap dog thats getting bigger every day. He is very good around people, with other dogs he tends to get excited and try to play, But he can be fairly easily held back and calmed down.

The only problem we have is when he is left alone, be it as short as 5min or as long as a few hours, he will clear off the coffee table and chew whatever was left on it. He started with the tv remote. Come home to find him chewing it up and I firmly told him no and stared him down. A week goes by with no problems. I think this is because we didn't leave anything on the table for him to get at. Then one night we left and came home to find that a glass that was left on the table was broken and scattered about the living room. I think he broke it by dropping it on the tile floor, He only managed to get a small cut on his tounge and we recovered all the peices of the glass so he didn't eat any of it. The next incident was when a coke can was left on the table with some mail. Yep you guessed it, all chewed up. He swallowed a good bit of the coke can but passed it without any problems, still made us nervous. I got to thinking and designed a little "Training tool", That consisted of a paint roller cover with a few stripes of hot chili sauce on it. We left it on a plate on the coffee table and leave. We come home to find the roller on the floor un chewed and Odin sitting on the couch slowly rolling his tounge around in his mouth. Sucess right....Wrong, last week when I stepped out of the house for no more than a few a few min, I returned to find the dvd remote almost chewed in half.

Looking at the great advice you have given others I figured I'de ask for the same. The only solution I can come up with is to not leave anything on the table while we're gone. I don't like this solution because we can forget somthing on the table and he could hurt himself. When we are at home he dosen't touch aything on the coffe table, There have been a few time when he goes for an empty ice cream bowl and I shoo him away and I tell him no. He dosen't chew anything anywhere else in the house. We are going to get him some new toys and have thought it would be a good idea to give him a rawhide bone or other chewable treat to keep him busy while we are gone. You advice would be reatly appreciated, thanks.

Here is a picture of him at 5 months or so. He's almost doubled in size.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Old 03-29-2005, 16:41   #60
G20man32904
Deceased

Soldat,
He is AWESOME, I love a Mastiff until I get slimed lol.

The occasional thief is the biggest challenge you will face but it can be overcome.
First keep everything he destroys from here on out, we will use it against him. Since I am guessing that the remote control is one of his favorites, take a broken one and completely cover one side of it in Bitter lime gel. Walk outside for 5-10minutes and come back in. If he is chewing on it, go ballistic screaming NO and take it out of his mouth and put back on the coffee table. If he chewed something but you didn’t catch him, stick it in his mouth, hold his muzzle shut and tell him no until you see him swallow. You will know because his mouth may start to water, and his eyes will start to water as well. Then take it out of his mouth and leave it on the coffee table. Put some old magazines out there as well. Flood the coffee table for a few weeks and every time you return home, if he has chewed something use it the following day for training.
You can also take like a 32oz. fosters beer can and put about 20-30 pennies in it (rinse thoroughly) and tape the top of it closed. Now every time he walks near the table shake the can and tell him NO. Then start taping the can to objects on the table in a very discreet way. As a booby trap so to speak. What we want is for him to be corrected by the objects on the table and not from us UNLESS WE CATCH HIM IN THE ACT.
Try these 2 things first and let me know his reactions, we can go stronger or weaker from here.
Old 03-29-2005, 19:51   #61
Soldat
Big Dwarf Rodeo

Sounds like a plan, seeing as I still have both destroyed remotes I will start out with the lime gel. Thanks for the advice.

My wife thinks he just has a little anxiety about us being gone because he is still a puppy. I think the lime gel will help him learn what are good nervous habits and what aren't.

I don't think limes will work on my Blue Cattledog, she fetches limes and once a hole develops she eats the insides. He're a pic to help prove she's crazy. You can even see the limes in the background.
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23   #62
bryan cc tx

G20,
bryan cc tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:34   #63
bryan cc tx

sorry!

G20,
I have had several dogs when I was a kid, but never an inside dog. My dogs have nevr been trained except with the "come here" and "no" commands.

My family just adopted a pure Beagle girl puppy (Lola). We have not yet had her a full day, and we all decided to keep her as an inside dog. I have been reading this thread and got some ideas like keep her on a leash when we're home and put her in a kennel (small) when we're gone. Last night when we got her the lady said that she had just fed her, so I did not feed her last night. We gave her some water then she pissed like 30 minutes after that. She drank more water then again pissed. So now I learned drink water piss in 30 minutes, and did not give her anymore water until this morning with her 2/3 cups of purina. Should I only give her food and water at certain times?

I am also taking her outside often so she can try to pee out there, she's done it once and I taken her out like 5 times. I also started giving her a firm "NO" when she puts her paws on the coouch.

What kind of leash do I get? A regular one or a choker? Also what kind of kennel are you talking about? Like a traveling kennel or a diffrent kind?

Any and all suggestions you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:11   #64
G20man32904
Deceased

bryan cc tx,
Ok let me address these one at a time. YES you want to set-up a feed and water schedule. I would feed her about 2hrs before the last person leaves the house in the morning and 1-2 hours before bedtime. Water about 2-4 hrs or get a hamster sized water bottle and hang it on her crate if she will be confined for more than 4hours at a time.
As far as a leash and collar, you want to find the lightest leash in a 4-6ft length and just a regular buckle collar. Due to her small small size you might need to go with a cat collar for awhile. Do not use a choker collar until at least 6mos old.
Kennel doesnt really matter too much, I prefer the Vari Kennel
shown Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

But a wire crate will do just the same.
Good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can do.
Old 04-26-2005, 13:03   #65
bryan cc tx

Thanks G20!

Thanks alot for the advice, but the wife and I have agreed to keep the dog outside until we get tile or wood floors!

Next question, I have taught LOLA how to "sit", "stay", "come" and "no". How can I teach her how to fetch? I have tried it several times by throwing her toy and she'll just look at it then sit and stare at me. Then I tried rubbing some treats on the toy, then let her sniff it then threw it...and still nothing from her. What gives man?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:33   #66
G20man32904
Deceased

Re: Thanks G20!

Quote:
Originally posted by bryan cc tx
Thanks alot for the advice, but the wife and I have agreed to keep the dog outside until we get tile or wood floors!

Next question, I have taught LOLA how to "sit", "stay", "come" and "no". How can I teach her how to fetch? I have tried it several times by throwing her toy and she'll just look at it then sit and stare at me. Then I tried rubbing some treats on the toy, then let her sniff it then threw it...and still nothing from her. What gives man?
Sorry it took me so long Bryan, sent you a pm
Old 05-10-2005, 11:58   #67
MikeG22
CLM Number 11
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeG22
Maybe you can help me also. My wife and I bought a golden retriever puppy last Thursday. He is now 11 and a half weeks old or so. He's doing pretty good with the potty training, doesn't go in his crate at night etc.

Now, there are two annoying things he does. The first is that when in his kennel and we leave the room he'll whine and bark for quite a while till he finally gives up. He was fine for the first day or two so we thought we were good, but it seems like he has now discovered his vocal chords and will do bark and yelp. He will quiet down eventually depending on what is going on it will happen faster. I'm not sure how to approcah this. If I walk up to the crate as he is doing this he will immediatly stop. I try saying No Bark and then staring him down. He'll just sit there and look at me. But if I then turn around and walk away he'll try to start again. I try to give him praise when he stops but I'm not sure how that is best accomplished so that he wont think he is getting praise for me comming over after he is barking. It's pretty frusterating when I get up in the morning to let him outside and then put him back in so I can catch another hour of sleep and he just won't shut up. He is not in the bedroom. Any ideas on how to best train him to stop? I had a few people say to get one of the no bark collars but I wonder if there is a better way. I'd like to stop this as soon as possible and not be re-enforcing any bad habits.

The other is that he likes to puppy bite on hands and stuff. He's got a ton of energy and you'll be petting him and he wants to try chewing on you. We have been trying the Talk Dog method of speeking to them and it seems to be helping with this but it's a slow process. When he does I'll hold his mouth and say No Bite. Then let him go and if he stops give him praise. It's getting better but not perfect yet. Any thoughts? Thanks so much! (And he's starting puppy school in 2 weeks probably when the next one starts up, just want to do what I can before then so I don't make it harder.)
MikeG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:37   #68
G20man32904
Deceased

click here
Old 05-11-2005, 20:54   #69
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG22
Maybe you can help me also. My wife and I bought a golden retriever puppy last Thursday. He is now 11 and a half weeks old or so. He's doing pretty good with the potty training, doesn't go in his crate at night etc.

Now, there are two annoying things he does. The first is that when in his kennel and we leave the room he'll whine and bark for quite a while till he finally gives up. He was fine for the first day or two so we thought we were good, but it seems like he has now discovered his vocal chords and will do bark and yelp. He will quiet down eventually depending on what is going on it will happen faster. I'm not sure how to approcah this. If I walk up to the crate as he is doing this he will immediatly stop. I try saying No Bark and then staring him down. He'll just sit there and look at me. But if I then turn around and walk away he'll try to start again. I try to give him praise when he stops but I'm not sure how that is best accomplished so that he wont think he is getting praise for me comming over after he is barking. It's pretty frusterating when I get up in the morning to let him outside and then put him back in so I can catch another hour of sleep and he just won't shut up. He is not in the bedroom. Any ideas on how to best train him to stop? I had a few people say to get one of the no bark collars but I wonder if there is a better way. I'd like to stop this as soon as possible and not be re-enforcing any bad habits.

The other is that he likes to puppy bite on hands and stuff. He's got a ton of energy and you'll be petting him and he wants to try chewing on you. We have been trying the Talk Dog method of speeking to them and it seems to be helping with this but it's a slow process. When he does I'll hold his mouth and say No Bite. Then let him go and if he stops give him praise. It's getting better but not perfect yet. Any thoughts? Thanks so much! (And he's starting puppy school in 2 weeks probably when the next one starts up, just want to do what I can before then so I don't make it harder.)
Mike first off congrats on your new Golden, one of my favorite breeds!
Crying in the crate is him looking for attention, whether he gets good or bad attention is up to us. There are a couple of corrections that I like to use for this, keep in mind though they are corrections not THREATS!, he cannot see or suspect they are coming. The first is a plain old water bottle set on stream (not mist) and mix 50/50 white vinegar and water. Leave this in YOUR room, walk him the am and put him pack in the crate and go back to bed. The very first whimper, whine, etc. sneak out of bed with the water and rush into his "room" and squirt him dead in the face with a super huge NO!!!! loud enough so the neighbors hear!! Then immediately turn and walk out of his room and back to bed. Repeat as needed!!
If it doesn't work by the third or fourth time you aren't doing it correctly.
Playbiting can easily be fixed like this, play with him and when he bites grab his lower jaw and with your thumb apply some pressure on his tongue, (like grabbing a largemouth bass?). We want to squezze hard enough for him to get the message but not hard enough that he yelps. Again repeat as needed!! ;f
Good luck in your training class and listen, take note or even video tape it if the instructor will allow.
Let me know how he does.
Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 14:38   #70
Mr. Niceguy

Over the past few days, my 9 month old Golden Retriever / Akita mix has aparently discovered that she can jump our three foot chain link fence with ease. I can't seem to figure out her motivation. She's not in heat. Her mother, the golden, shares the back yard with her, so she has company back there. She's not doing it to chase after animals or people that I can tell. In fact, she generally just hangs out in our front yard or our next door neighbor's front yard.

I know that the obvious answer is to install a taller fence, but I'm hoping someone can point me in an alternate direction or offer training tips. Incidentally, Ginger (the mom) can also easily jump the fence, but has only done so a couple times over the past several years with good reason (prowler).
Mr. Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 14:48   #71
scowan007
memberrific!!!

MIke,

How you feelin' these days? Hope you are getting better.

Iggy still cries sometimes when I leave him alone, but not much. (sometimes i leave my little voice recorder to check on him).

But here's the main thing. I REALLY want to be able to put bedding in his kennel as he is already starting to get elbow callouses, and I'm sure its better for his bones to sleep on soft instead of hard.

Problem: I could leave Iggy in his kennel for a week (kidding) and he wouldnt mess. But if I put any kind of bedding in there, its watering time and bombs away.

any thots?

PS- Dogtra 1200NC collar kicks major bootie!!!
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 18:44   #72
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Niceguy
Over the past few days, my 9 month old Golden Retriever / Akita mix has aparently discovered that she can jump our three foot chain link fence with ease. I can't seem to figure out her motivation. She's not in heat. Her mother, the golden, shares the back yard with her, so she has company back there. She's not doing it to chase after animals or people that I can tell. In fact, she generally just hangs out in our front yard or our next door neighbor's front yard.

I know that the obvious answer is to install a taller fence, but I'm hoping someone can point me in an alternate direction or offer training tips. Incidentally, Ginger (the mom) can also easily jump the fence, but has only done so a couple times over the past several years with good reason (prowler).
Mr. Niceguy,
What is the best way to put this? Well, she is jumping the fence a)because she can, or b) she is bored. My first guess would be because she can (being an Akita mix, while fantastic dogs they like to strut their status). Her status being upped because everytime she makes it over the fence you lose status because she outsmarted the Alpha. Try an Invisible Fence inside the perimeter or don't leave her out long enough to get bored. Also if she will swim, buy her one of those cheap walmart pools for kids. Great entertainment and a good way to cool off.
HTH and let me know what your thoughts are.
Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 19:08   #73
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by scowan007
MIke,

How you feelin' these days? Hope you are getting better.

Iggy still cries sometimes when I leave him alone, but not much. (sometimes i leave my little voice recorder to check on him).

But here's the main thing. I REALLY want to be able to put bedding in his kennel as he is already starting to get elbow callouses, and I'm sure its better for his bones to sleep on soft instead of hard.

Problem: I could leave Iggy in his kennel for a week (kidding) and he wouldnt mess. But if I put any kind of bedding in there, its watering time and bombs away.

any thots?

PS- Dogtra 1200NC collar kicks major bootie!!!
Scow whats he in now a vari-kennel(plastic)?
Did we make it smaller?
See here is the difficulty, he wants to be clean, but he might be imprinted from the breeder to pee/bm on a soft bedding type material. Most breeders use newspaper because its cheap.
How about this start with something very thin such as a cotton baby blanket and see how he does. If he can push it aside after its soiled and not be in it, or on it then there is too much room in the crate still.

For the callouses try vitimin E around bedtime(or when he is calm) followed by some bitter (apple or lime) spray so he won't lick it off.

Never tried that particular brand of collar but I'm real weary of one on such a young dog. It's super easy to ruin a great dog and all it takes is one mistake on your part and he will never be the same.
If you were my paying client I would tell you to hold off till at least 18 months on the e-collar. I did use one on my own dog but I waited for the 18 month mark before turning it on at all and only used it for off-lead obedience sharpening.

Now get off the computer and go get us a Delta!!!

;z ;z ;z
Let me know

ps
Thanks man feeling better everyday, so much that I am now gaining all the muscle weight back from 7 weeks on my back and actually gaining weight!!;Q
Old 08-02-2005, 10:58   #74
Nickotym
BillofNeeds?NO!

Any way to get a dog to not be scared of lightning? For the past few months our 8 yr old Basenji has just gotten frantic any time it starts to lightning, even if it is only heat lightning. If she sees the flashes she gets scared. Bringing her inside is not an option. She has a doghouse outside, if she gets in that and stays in, she seems fine.

The only thing I can think of that started this for her is maybe close lightning strike or maybe fireworks, but I think she began exhibiting this long before they allowed fireworks to be done this summer. Either way, we never saw anything happen.

Last night I was ready to throw her to the wolves. She was barking every few minutes for 1.5 hours or more at 1AM! You can only ignore a dog so long when they do this at that time of night when you have neighbors. I think it started raining finally and she went inside her doghouse and quit barking. She is pretty well behaved otherwise, but she was a rescue and we have had issues with her since we got her, but most of those she has outgrown.
August 12, 1974
Nickotym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 15:53   #75
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickotym
Any way to get a dog to not be scared of lightning? For the past few months our 8 yr old Basenji has just gotten frantic any time it starts to lightning, even if it is only heat lightning. If she sees the flashes she gets scared. Bringing her inside is not an option. She has a doghouse outside, if she gets in that and stays in, she seems fine.

The only thing I can think of that started this for her is maybe close lightning strike or maybe fireworks, but I think she began exhibiting this long before they allowed fireworks to be done this summer. Either way, we never saw anything happen.

Last night I was ready to throw her to the wolves. She was barking every few minutes for 1.5 hours or more at 1AM! You can only ignore a dog so long when they do this at that time of night when you have neighbors. I think it started raining finally and she went inside her doghouse and quit barking. She is pretty well behaved otherwise, but she was a rescue and we have had issues with her since we got her, but most of those she has outgrown.

First off Nick,
Basenji's don't bark, and why is bringing her inside not an option?

I'm sorry, I am just under the opinion that unless you own working dogs they belong with the pack inside the house. There is nothing that you could come up with that a compentent trainer can't solve, with the exception of allergies in which case you chose the wrong breed.
Sorry if this comes across as blunt but I have strong feeling about this.

Last edited by G20man32904; 08-02-2005 at 15:57..
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote