Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:16   #141
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
Well, I'm going to start working Schutzhund training with Boscoe on Saturday. Do you have any starting advice for a complete newbie?
Congrats Walter!!
Open your ears and close your mouth. Think safety before all else, (just like firearms) and lastly have a super awesome time watching your dog work! If you can, get somebody to video it for you. You will watch it over and over as your dog progresses.

Good Luck bud!
Mike
Old 03-17-2006, 19:24   #142
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Thanks. The dog's farther along than I am, as he's competed in a few trials (flunked the last two.), and been trained in ScH probably all of his 3 years. They tell me he passed the tracking though. The video thing, me and dad were talking about just an hour ago. He's wanting to get a digital video cam just for this reason. For the benefit of all the members of the club.

;g

;8 ;I
Old 03-19-2006, 22:49   #143
Walter45Auto

Sleeping in the house question.

Ok, I've been having Bosco sleep in his kennel at night, because if I let him sleep in my room, or anywhere else, he'll try to get in the bed with me. I like the idea of him being free to roam the house at night, but I have a twin size bed, and Me + Twin bed + 80 pounds of German Shepherd don't work in any way, shape, or form, obviously. How can I train him to sleep in my room, but not on my bed? That's one of the problems with 80 lbs dogs. That, and they can reach all the counters, bars, and tabletops in the house (that one I've been handling fine, BTW.).

;g

;8 ;I
Old 03-20-2006, 11:22   #144
G20man32904
Deceased

Get him his own bed??? Or Vari-kennel and just leave the lid off?
Make it somewhere comfortable for him and he will tire of you telling him to get off the bed...
Old 04-02-2006, 14:17   #145
Walter45Auto

Mike I know a couple kids who are each wanting to get a dog soon. Three of them. Two brothers and their sister. They asked me about getting multiple dogs, and I told them one of the things that my dad told me; That It's not usually a good Idea to keep two males together. (They each want something different. One wants a female husky, one wants a male husky, and one wants a male German shepherd.) One of the first things I told them is ask their mom and dad's advice and see what they think about it. Then the little gril asked me "What about two females and a male?" Well, I told her I could ask some people that probably knew. I doubt it will work out like that for them, but just so I can tell them, How territorial are females together usually? And Since two of them want huskies, how good would one be as the first dog for a kid?

Last edited by Walter45Auto; 04-02-2006 at 14:20..
Walter45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 15:20   #146
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
Mike I know a couple kids who are each wanting to get a dog soon. Three of them. Two brothers and their sister. They asked me about getting multiple dogs, and I told them one of the things that my dad told me; That It's not usually a good Idea to keep two males together. (They each want something different. One wants a female husky, one wants a male husky, and one wants a male German shepherd.) One of the first things I told them is ask their mom and dad's advice and see what they think about it. Then the little gril asked me "What about two females and a male?" Well, I told her I could ask some people that probably knew. I doubt it will work out like that for them, but just so I can tell them, How territorial are females together usually? And Since two of them want huskies, how good would one be as the first dog for a kid?

Hey Walter:
I really wouldn't recommend a Husky for anybody living in Tx or Florida for that matter. It's just too dang hot for them and they are not happy dogs.

As far as the male female thing, if they are brought up together then any mix and match can and will work. However if one dog is older than the others, that is when problems can pop up.
HTH
Old 04-08-2006, 10:28   #147
Anthem

Schnauzer advice

G20Man,

We adopted a miniature Schnauzer from the Animal Rescue Shelter about 8 months ago (she's a little over 2 now) and while she is a great dog, she has a annoying habit of constantly "mouthing" your hands when you pet her. It's not a bite, rather she just gnaws on everyone all the time. Is there anything we can do to stop her from doing this? Thanks for the help.

John
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 18:27   #148
G20man32904
Deceased

Re: Schnauzer advice

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthem
G20Man,

We adopted a miniature Schnauzer from the Animal Rescue Shelter about 8 months ago (she's a little over 2 now) and while she is a great dog, she has a annoying habit of constantly "mouthing" your hands when you pet her. It's not a bite, rather she just gnaws on everyone all the time. Is there anything we can do to stop her from doing this? Thanks for the help.

John
Sure thing John
Sounds like play biting to me which is normal for an untrained Schnauzer.
When she is mouthing you she is telling you SHE wants control and to be the Alpha dog.
There are several ways to alleviate this problem.

1st and foremost
Go get some professional obedience help with either a cheaper group class or private instruction.
2nd is learn how to become the Alpha, (thru training).

We can fix this problem thru fear or respect, I choose the respect way. Obedience training will get you started.

If you go too heavy with a correction here she will become defensive and not enough of a correction and she will gain dominance and lose respect for you.

Bitter Lime or Apple will work temporarily until you get some better help.
bitter apple link

Sorry it took so long to get with you.
If you need more help let me know
Old 04-10-2006, 19:58   #149
Anthem

More on the Alpha Schnauzer

Thanks for the advice. I believe you have nailed the problem. It's off to school for Missy.

I also have an 8 yr old male Schnauzer (Max) who has no such issues. We adopted him when he was about 2 yrs old and it was obvious that he was abused and never socialed properly. He is a sweet dog and despite his upbringing, has progressed nicely. Missy has also really helped him come out of his shell. Would you recommend enrolling him a class with Missy or would it be best to leave him alone? Thanks again.

John
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 20:01   #150
G20man32904
Deceased

Re: More on the Alpha Schnauzer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthem
Thanks for the advice. I believe you have nailed the problem. It's off to school for Missy.

I also have an 8 yr old male Schnauzer (Max) who has no such issues. We adopted him when he was about 2 yrs old and it was obvious that he was abused and never socialed properly. He is a sweet dog and despite his upbringing, has progressed nicely. Missy has also really helped him come out of his shell. Would you recommend enrolling him a class with Missy or would it be best to leave him alone? Thanks again.

John
Do both at the same time, since the training is more for you then the dog...

Good luck and let me know how it goes
Old 04-15-2006, 20:23   #151
Walter45Auto

Re: Re: More on the Alpha Schnauzer

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
......the training is more for you then the dog...
Sounds like my schutzhund training so far..... Had a good day today, BTW. Now If I can just find a way to remember where my article and my turns are on the tracking...... Any Ideas? I'm terrible at using landmarks for that kinda stuff. I'm trying. (Guess who wants to play ball while I'm typing.... ) We're coming along real well with the obedience. But I need more practice on the motions and corrections and stuff (Only thing I can do for that is practice and work and more work, obviously....). But everybody says I've been getting better. Protection, we're doing fine, too. My dog's got a particularly high prey drive. Our training director/helper got bit on his stick hand today. He was taunting the dog (another member's dog; not Bosco.) by hiding the sleve behind his leg, probably to build her drive up a little, so she LATCHES ON HIS STICK Hand and sinks her canines ALL THE WAY DOWN. I got the pic to proove it (that's right! The cam went off right as she got sunk in good.)! (No, sorry, I don't think I should post the pic.)

Old 04-30-2006, 17:22   #152
Walter45Auto

Mike, My dog has developed the habit of jumping the 4 ft tall portion of our back fence to run around in the field of trees back there and chase squirrels, crows, and the possum that lives around here. As you know Bosco is schutzhund trained, and you can't have a dog like that hopping fences. I'm out there watching him every time he's out of the House anyway (Hey, I'm proud of the dog and like to spend as much time as I can with him. He and I LOVE To be by each others side.), but a friend (the guy I got him from) suggested that, even with that being the case, I get something that will break that habit, I guess as an extra safety measure. Any suggestions? Andre suggested a hotbox kit from Home Depot, which I plan to look into, but Home Depot seems to have a nasty habit of discontinuing things I go in there for about a week or a month before I go in there after it. If I can't find that, what do you reccomend?

Old 05-01-2006, 09:17   #153
G20man32904
Deceased

Walter,
Talk this over with your Schutzhund trainer and see what they suggest.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:48   #154
Walter45Auto

Ok. I will. Thanks Mike.

Old 05-09-2006, 20:09   #155
kodiak99
...and...death

G20,

I hope you can please help me. My wife and I bought a chihuahua puppy yesterday that is between 2 to 3 months old. We need to get him properly house/potty trained as soon as possible. My wife has trained a lab mix before when she was younger and said it was really tough. I feel that there were some differences between then and now though. At any rate we are having real problems with getting this one started and could really use some help. The dog is more for my wife than me, but I feel that I have a lot more patience for this sort of thing than she does. She is getting impatient already and has said that if this keeps up she is going to get rid of him. I just don't want to give the puppy a bad start just because we didn't try everything we could.

So here is our current situation. The puppy has yet to go #2 in front of us in a location we approve of. Currently he has peed in front of us outside where we would like him to 2 or 3 times. Every other time has been inside on the carpet when we were looking or looked away for just a few seconds. My wife and I have taken him outside on the leash trying to get him to go hopefully #2 in front of us outside. He has not so far went #2 outside for all the time we have walked him outside. I am not sure that we even have all the necessary equipment to train him properly. We have a metal wire kennel with a removable plastic bottom that is probably much too large for him that we put him in at night when we sleep or he just had an accident. It has training pads and newspaper on the floor. We had a bed in there but we took it out. We keep his food bowl in the kitchen and only dish out the amount recommended on the bag. He drinks out of a community water dish that is shared with some cats.

There is probably a lot of issues you could correct us on, but we just want to start with him going #1 and/or #2 in front of us when we have him in the right place.

Your rapid response in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I don't think my wife is super serious when she said what she said. She often says things she doesn't mean when she is frustrated.
kodiak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:45   #156
G20man32904
Deceased

Kodiak,
First thing is to get the wife to understand this is a baby. It took me until 12 weeks old to housebreak my own dog. This will take some time.
At 11 weeks old, make the crate smaller (just small enough for the dog to lay down and turn around in and remove the papers and whatever else is in there. From here you can read the first page of this thread and it will walk you thru some do and don'ts.

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
M that pup is ADORABLE!!!;f
Ok, this is going to be long so here goes.
We have some options here that you need to decide on, litter box training or taking the little guy outside. With pups this small I prefer to use a litter box inside the house because it makes the dog a little less dependant on you. However if you so choose, you can take him outside.
The procedure is the same and is called “Watch and Confine”. What this means is to keep a leash on him and tie the other end to you (watch) while home and while you are not home (or sleeping) confine him in the crate. Now in order for this to work you must not stray from the plan for the next couple of weeks. Only the dog can decide how long it will take. I would get a hamster sized water bottle and hang that on the crate for him to drink from while being confined so that he will not play, spill his water.
Also the crate is about 2X the size needed (for now) so put something in it to divide it in half. I like plywood and then zip tie it to the sides. The reason being, if the crate is that big he will pee in the front and still be able to lay in the back and not be in “it” and that’s not what we want. Also remove the bedding as that will soak up urine.
The things to remember with puppies are that it takes 2 hours for their body to process water and 4-6 hours for food. So if they drink at 10am by noon they will want to pee so be on the lookout. What we want out of this “Watch and Confine” is for them to tell us they need to go and what happens is they will go in front of us eventually. This is a good thing!!! When this happens give a medium sized NO!! (for the third week progressing into the fourth) and take them (again ON THE LEASH) to where you want them to go. Don’t carry him; make him walk on the leash. By the fourth week he will know where he is allowed to go and therefore step up the tone & volume of the NO when he goes in front of you…
If you modify this plan by not using the leash (normal method used by most people) what you will have is a dog that won’t go in front of you but sneak off in another room or wait for you to leave and then he will leave you a surprise somewhere.
Also food is very important at this stage; I recommend buying the best food you can afford as this will make housebreaking a ton easier.
As for his first week and second week at home go easy and don’t expect too much. Puppies @ 10weeks old have almost no holding power at all so when accidents happen give him an easy no and take him to the appropriate place and once he starts going again give lots of verbal praise. Be careful not to spend too much time with him this week, we don’t want him accustomed to you being around 24/7. Give him a siesta every couple of hours in his crate and don’t let him whine, cry, bark, etc.
Well this should get you started and if you need anything else don’t hesitate to post or pm me. Good luck and keep us updated.
Good luck and let me know if anything is unclear.
Mike
Old 05-20-2006, 08:23   #157
mavrick

Hey Walter,

It's great to hear Bosco is working out.. But, as for him jumping the fence, that's not a good thing, schH training or not. I would say that's something you need to address, asap. One thing you may want to keep in mind is, depending on how serious you are with schH, you want to try and fix with problem without doing anything to diminsh Bosco's drive.

When I started schH with Trinity, I replaced our 4 foot fence with a 6 foot fence around the entire property. And I agree with G20man, we never let our dogs out when we aren't home. And the other thing is, we actually do work dogs "through the fence" I guess you'd say, so it really is critical to have a fence strong enough to "contain" the dogs.

Also, a while back you asked about protection training. First, G20man is absolutely right.. ask about protection training and never attack training. And regarding training, be it schH, KNPV, French Ring, protection or whatever, when you find a trainer, go as a spectator first and observe a training session or two, before you take your dog. The reason is, it's absolutely critical for the trainer to have the ability to read the dog. By that I mean, the helper/decoy/trainer whoever, has to be able to determine how much pressure to put on the dog, or in other words, how hard to work him ( or her ). He has to know when to back off, and when to step it up. He has to know if the dog is in prey or defense, how to work the dog in prey and in defense, and how to bring the dog up into drive without overdoing it. There are so many trainers out there who just go through the motions regardless of what the dog is doing or how it's reacting. There have been a countless number of dogs seriously messed up because of it. Believe me, I've seen it happen first hand! Acutally, the ability to read dogs is what seperates the really good trainers from everyone else. And it applies across the board, from AKC obedience to full fledged sentry dog work.

Once again, it's great to hear things are going well with Bosco! That's awesome.. good luck and have fun!

cheers

mavrick
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:30   #158
Walter45Auto

The thing about going as a spectator before joining a club, that's exactly what I did. Before I ever got Bosco.The club I'm in has really good people. The helpers know what they're doing. We had a good training session today. Dad says the way we tracked Was about a 95. Of course I had to cheat a bit to remember where my turns and article were. I marked them with flags. I was told today to start marking my turns with chalk instead. I still got a lot (like everything...) to learn on the obedience too.

Old 05-20-2006, 18:06   #159
mavrick

That's great Walter.. sounds like your good to go! Good luck in your training!! Go Bosco!

Cheers

mavrick
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:04   #160
Walter45Auto

Hey does anyone know where I can get a titanium choke chain? A friend of mine asked me to look for one for her. Swears her dog's been breaking the steel ones. I googled and couldn't find one.