Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2006, 13:40   #161
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
Hey does anyone know where I can get a titanium choke chain? A friend of mine asked me to look for one for her. Swears her dog's been breaking the steel ones. I googled and couldn't find one.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-111-.html
Ain't seen a dog break one of these yet....
If it does, the owner needs some training.....
Old 06-04-2006, 20:48   #162
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Thanks, Mike. I printed out the page and gave it to her this morning. She said her dad will order one and try it out. I have another question. A nother friend of mine has a blue heeler that keeps digging up the yard. She's gotten to where she's digging under the foundation of the house. He's tried putting bricks and cement blocks in the holes and filling them in, but it hasn't worked. What else can he try??

Old 06-04-2006, 23:00   #163
GAdobemom

If you run an electric fence about 6 inches above the ground near the bottom of the fence you will not have a problem with digging out and you can still run electric fence around the foundation. You can lay chicken wire on the ground or put her poop in the holes.Make sure that you give her a place that she has permission to dig and take her there if you catch her in the act of digging anywhere else.
Good Luck!!!
GAdobemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02   #164
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
A nother friend of mine has a blue heeler that keeps digging up the yard. She's gotten to where she's digging under the foundation of the house. He's tried putting bricks and cement blocks in the holes and filling them in, but it hasn't worked. What else can he try??
Tell him not to leave the dog outside so long. Why is the dog outside so long? Because it isn't trusted in the house? Then there is the issue at hand.

Let's see, Texas, in June, and the dog is digging under the house?
It's hot!
Old 06-08-2006, 16:13   #165
Laramie In MT

Send a message via AIM to Laramie In MT Send a message via Yahoo to Laramie In MT

Mike,

I have Elvis, a one year old white boxer. All things considered he is a great dog. Only problem is that he won't stop drinking when having access to unlimited amounts of water. I've always kept his bowl full but he will drink to the point of either throwing up...or having so much in his bladder he can't make it outside to pee.

I thought maybe if I left a huge waterer out for him, he would realize that water would always be available and he would slow down. Instead he drank the entire bucket, close to a gallon of water. He also drinks really fast.

This is a problem when going to other people's houses or the dog park, any source of water he will drink and drink until I stop him. It's getting very frustrating. Any ideas?
Laramie In MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 19:44   #166
G20man32904
Deceased

BBD,
First thing is have him checked by your Vet. Health problems can cause severe thirst.

If he is a healthy dog, then only give him small amounts of water at a time. Don't forget though, Boxers can be really sloppy drinkers so he might not be drinking as much as you think.

A dog keep inside, A/C on, only needs about 12ozs of water during our normal working day. On a day off, try freezing some water in his bowl then fill with cold and see how long it takes to melt. Or you can do the same with the watering system you have.

If he can't control himself, then you must control him with the leash.

Let me know what happens at the Vet...
Old 08-20-2006, 19:04   #167
camelarc
Sharp Shooter

G20-

I hope you're still monitoring this thread. I've read through all the previous postings and several of them have been very helpful. You have already addressed my question a couple times but I cannot get your recommendations to work...

I have a 3.5 month black lab, adopted from the humane society about 3 weeks ago. Like lab puppies do, he's full of energy and loves to bite/chew on fingers, toes, etc. Its gotten to the point where he has jumped and bitten my wife in the face (she was sitting down) the last two nights and she has obviously become very upset with this. We've tried putting chew toys in his mouth when he's biting but he'll usually run off and drop them then come running back looking for a finger to bite. We've also tried pressing on his tongue (like a largemouth bass) and it just seems to get him even more riled-up.

What else can we do? My wife is at the end of her rope and doesn't even want to play with him for fear of getting hurt. Please help us out. BTW, we plan to enroll him in obediance school ASAP.

Thanks
camelarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 19:20   #168
G20man32904
Deceased

Camel,
No problems....
First keep him on leash at all times. This is crucial.
Second, buy some of this stuff and leave it outside the front door.
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

Have the wife coat her hands in it. (It is mostly rubbing alcohol and some wicked bad tasting stuff!!!) Then immediately walk thru the door and STUFF her hands in the dogs mouth.She needs to apply this without the dog knowing several times a day and do this over and over again, until the dog "gets" that mommy does not taste good.
Also, being that it is alcohol it evaporates very quickly, once dry it is of no use. So she must do it while her hands are "wet"
Since you got a lab you may want to get the big bottle, ,
it will come in handy later during the chewing phase. ( I promise)

If the thumb on the tongue trick, is getting him more riled, you are not doing it a)hard enough and b)long enough c)deep enough. A little wimper here is good.(Boy am I glad I didn't have to type that in the OAF! )

Try this and let me know how you're doing with it.

Last edited by G20man32904; 08-20-2006 at 19:24..
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56   #169
mavrick

hey Camelarc,

For what it's worth, I'll second G20's advice. I have four German Shepherds, and my first male was quite the chewer.. LOL! He had a thing for woodwork and electric cords and the short story is, we used Bitter Apple with great results. Good luck with your lab!

Cheers

mavrick
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 15:32   #170
camelarc
Sharp Shooter

Thank you both for your help, I'll keep you updated on the progress.
camelarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 13:52   #171
w30olds

Send a message via AIM to w30olds
PM sent to you sir.

Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
-Psalm 23:6
w30olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 14:06   #172
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by w30olds
PM sent to you sir.
Right back at ya
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10   #173
Critter
Patriot Customs

Hi,

I've got a few questions about a nice little adorable puppy my wife and kids found on the street starving and brought him home. He's growing up to be a Pitbull/Maltese mix and at 6 months is twice the size of our last rescue dog.

Other than chewing up everything that is not nailed down, and some things that are, he has not really had any behavior problems. My 15 year old daughter has taken a lot of time up with him as have I and he minds us well for the most part. Where my concern lies is one of the 'things' he chews on is my other dog! Now, at this point, I know he's playing and the other dog let's him know when he's had enough and he has been respecting that. He doesn't try to get the smaller dogs food until he leaves the area or take his Milkbone away from him, but I'm afraid this dominance thing is going to change. Even if it doesn't, at the very least he leaves the little dog full of slobber around the neck and ears and matts his hair up. I know it sounds stupid, but it aggrivates me more than the dog.

As a side note, when he began trying to chew the house, I had put cyane pepper on it, which he likes, and I have tried the bitter gels and sprays which he doesn;t like as much, but will lick them a little. As far as chew toys go, we have quite a few out there and the 'puppy' just pulls logs off of the woodpile and chews them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 20:04   #174
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
What's the best way to get ticks off of a dog, and not leave the tick's head in? We're going camping and Bosco's going with us, so I may have to know soon.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:46   #175
G20man32904
Deceased

Walter and Critter,
I didnt forget about you guys , but have been away for awhile. Will get with you soon.

Walter, easist way is not to get them in the first place. Talk with your Vet about a good strong dip.
Mike
Old 11-17-2006, 12:01   #176
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
Hi,

I've got a few questions about a nice little adorable puppy my wife and kids found on the street starving and brought him home. He's growing up to be a Pitbull/Maltese mix and at 6 months is twice the size of our last rescue dog.

Other than chewing up everything that is not nailed down, and some things that are, he has not really had any behavior problems. My 15 year old daughter has taken a lot of time up with him as have I and he minds us well for the most part. Where my concern lies is one of the 'things' he chews on is my other dog! Now, at this point, I know he's playing and the other dog let's him know when he's had enough and he has been respecting that. He doesn't try to get the smaller dogs food until he leaves the area or take his Milkbone away from him, but I'm afraid this dominance thing is going to change. Even if it doesn't, at the very least he leaves the little dog full of slobber around the neck and ears and matts his hair up. I know it sounds stupid, but it aggrivates me more than the dog.

As a side note, when he began trying to chew the house, I had put cyane pepper on it, which he likes, and I have tried the bitter gels and sprays which he doesn;t like as much, but will lick them a little. As far as chew toys go, we have quite a few out there and the 'puppy' just pulls logs off of the woodpile and chews them.
Critter,
Again I apologize for the time its taken me to get back with you. A couple of things jumped out at me so I made them red above.
Do you see where I am going with this now?

Your fix is simple, keep the new pup on the leash attached to you or your daughter while in the house. Make sure he has something to chew on while you are not paying close attention to him. Think of him as a 3year old child. If you don't have something to entertain him, he WILL find something to do.

If you read this whole thread it describes how to do a proper taste correction. For instance, if the pup is chewing on a small kitchen rug, apply the bitter liquid to a corner and while sopping wet, stuff it in the puppies mouth and hold his mouth closed for about 10 seconds all the while telling him no in stern but not scary voice. After that let him alone to think things over (on the leash, attached to you) and I would be suprised if he ever chewed anything again with that stuff on it.

Also, get enrolled a puppy class if you have a Pet Supermarket in your area. The socialization will help all of you deal with the dog around other dogs.
Let me know how it goes
Mike
Old 11-17-2006, 16:02   #177
Critter
Patriot Customs

Thanks Mike. I considered a class that PetCo does, 1 hour a week for 6 weeks, that they say deals with many of these problems/behaviors. I've not had to do it with the smaller bread dogs, but want to make sure I stay on top of this little guy before he gets in too much dutch with the wife. I'll give a 'range report' on those classes as we take them.

Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:38   #178
Lobo
Who farted??

Kind of an off beat question, but can you give me an idea of what mix of breeds my friend is? We got him from a shelter in 2002. He is one of the smartest, most personable dogs we have had in our family. He's a house-dog, all 100 pounds of him, and is a heck of an alarm system. I have been told by friends that he might be red heeler/pit mix. Heres a pic of Texas. BTW, thanks for this thread; its educational.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

Chris
#9 Mississippi Club

#520 Smith & Wesson Club

#520 Browning Hi Power Club
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:23   #179
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Hey scowan,
Glad to help out partner, afterall that's what this place is about right??;f

Ok, here we go, he needs confidence. Now the way to get there is no harsh corrections (either verbal or leash) and he should be wearing a buckle type collar (not a metal choker). He also need to learn his commands ASAP. These must be kept short and fun with minimals "no's".
I really like to use food rewards (something small and soft, I personally get best results with liver boiled then chopped in the size of mm's then frozen in ziplocks for future use) with pups because it keeps their interest and makes it tons of fun. Start with "sit" then the "down" command. It is extremely important to use voice inflections to keep it positive and fast paced!! Use a high pitched "good boy" and it must be real!! If you try to fake it he will know and will not be as enthusastic as he could be and will soon tire from this "training".
Praise CAN NOT BE OVER EMPHASIZED!! We will go deeper in the commands phase later, right now we need to work on this peeing thing.

If you are not already using a water bottle on the crate go with that instead of a bowl. Before preparing to leave take him outside on the leash for 5-10minutes. Pick a time and stick with it. When I was a smoker I gave my dog the time it took for 1 smoke and thats it. Whatever time length you choose, keep it consistent no matter what.
Keep this in mind, it takes 2 hours for a dogs body to process water and 4-6 hours to process food. So what we want to do is make sure he will empty at least 30minutes prior to your leaving. This means no water 3 hours before you leave the house. He only needs water maybe 5 minutes at a time 3-5 times a day day unless you have him running around (which you shouldn't because he is on the leash tied to you, right? ).

Ok this one will require some time but here is the deal, after making sure he is empty, put him in the crate and grab that can we talked about and set it outside the door to where ever he is. Then walk outside. As soon as you hear him start to cry rush back inside and fling his door open and calmly, quietly, and firmly give him a "NO" followed by the stare down contest. Very important, do not let him win these contests, stare him down.... As soon as he looks away, let your entire being change to "good boy" with normal influctions. Then immediately turn and leave again. Use the can as a last resort here or after about 5 attempts with just verbal corrections.

Another very imprtant point is dont get into the habit of long goodbyes and immediate hello's when you walk in the door. Ignore him for 10minutes or so upon returning home unless he is crying, whinning then a verbal no and a stare down contest until he looks away.
Repeat this varying the length of time of your returns. Sometimes it will be necessary to have someone drive your car down the street while you stay and listen for him to cry out.
Im having the same problems as this guy with my 6wk old german shepherd. The thread is very helpful, but what is the "can" you are talking about? You said "put him in the crate and grab that can we talked about and set it outside the door to where ever he is." Sorry if i missed something obvious. Also did you say use the leash around the house and tie it down sometimes? thanks for your help.

Last edited by CentralMsGunFan; 12-03-2006 at 09:25..
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 13:58   #180
G20man32904
Deceased

Lobo,
Hard to say, looks to me like a pit mix and I would leave it at that
I also happen to own a dog that no one can identify.

CentralMsGunFan
The "can" is nothing more that a beer/soda can with about 10 pennies in it and the top taped shut with clear tape.
And Yes, I did say tie the leash TO YOU whenever you are home.
Let me know if I can help more.