Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-10-2004, 22:08   #1
Parker Dean

What to do with a semi-feral cat?

4 or 5 years ago my mother let a pregnant stray cat in to have her kittens and it just sorta moved in. Only one of the kittens (now cat) remains of the litter. "Momma" proved to be litter trained and is not usually a problem. She'll come out and play with toys, or the other (4) cats, but you can't touch her, although if you're real quiet she might sniff your fingertip.

Anyway in the last 3-4 months she's taken to urinating on the bed. "Momma" is really timid and at least one of the other cats is known to attack her and gouge out large hunks of fur. I suspect that at least one of the other cats is intimidating her so that she's afraid to use the litter box. My mother is at her wits end and feels like chasing "Momma" out of the house. I know that's not the right solution, but I don't have one of my own so I thought I'd solicit some opinions here. Thanks
Parker Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 22:47   #2
Miss Maggie

What about putting in another litter box, maybe one near the bed where the cat goes?
Miss Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 23:35   #3
Parker Dean

Oh, there're so many litter boxes in there I've lost count. There's definitely one open-top type next to the bed, saw that this evening as the bed was on it's side to keep the cat off. I'm told "Momma" prefers an open-top.

Another open-top in the kitchen sink, at least one cat has taken a liking to that location. Don't ask me how that got figured out.

A covered type in the bathroom, and I think there's one more in the walk-in closet.

I could swear there was another, but memory fails me.

Mind you, this is in a one-bedroom 750sq-ft (IIRC) apt.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Oh yeah! Each is serviced multiple times a day. I swear, my mother must feel like all she does is clean litter boxes.

edit: we don't know "Momma"'s age for certain, but believe no more than about 7

Last edited by Parker Dean; 09-10-2004 at 23:39..
Old 09-14-2004, 17:32   #4
nhglocker

This may be a complicated solution but you could try giving Momma exclusive access to one room ergo one litter box using this: http://www.smarthome.com/6195.HTML

It is a security door for your pet allowing access by use of a magnet on her collar.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:17   #5
B27
CLM Number 280
57 state tour!

The cat may well have a urinary problem rather than a behavior problem.
Because of their descent from wild desert cats, which concentrate their urine to conserve water, modern domestic cats are very prone to urinary problems.
She needs a trip to the vet.
Old 09-15-2004, 23:00   #6
Parker Dean

Thanks for the suggestion nhglocker!

B27- Yeah, that's been considered. My "problem" with the idea is that it's always the bed, never anywhere else. You'd think that if she's trying to avoid the pain she feels in the litterbox she'd start avoiding the bed, too. Nevertheless, she'd have been to a vet already just to rule urinary infection out if the process of catching her wouldn't lead to severe blood loss on our part, and traumatizing terror on hers. Suppose we'll just have to don body armor and she'll have to deal with it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:32   #7
G17-jimmy

I hope no one is offended by the joke, but:

http://www.richsalter.btinternet.co.uk/
G17-jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 20:05   #8
B27
CLM Number 280
57 state tour!

Parker-
I've been through that myself and it's great of you to be willing to do it.
Trying to help a half wild cat can be a chore.
And dangerous.

The two kittens I have here right now are the result of a semi feral cat we trapped right after she had her litter and confined in a friends converted garage until they were old enough to separate from mom.

Mom is at the vets right now recovering from being spayed and then will have to be released back outside because she is so wild.
Hopefully she will hang around and let us continue to feed her and provide decent shelters for her to escape from the weather into.

The kittens spent their first few days hissing at me but have now decided I am the coolest thing they have ever seen since mom.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Old 09-18-2004, 22:39   #9
Miss Maggie

Oops. ;f ;a ;f

Last edited by Miss Maggie; 09-18-2004 at 22:46..
Old 09-18-2004, 22:40   #10
Miss Maggie

If you have a semi-feral cat, why don't you just find him a semi-feral rat? ;f ;f
Old 09-19-2004, 06:14   #11
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Quote:
Originally posted by B27
Parker-
I've been through that myself and it's great of you to be willing to do it.
Trying to help a half wild cat can be a chore.
And dangerous.

The two kittens I have here right now are the result of a semi feral cat we trapped right after she had her litter and confined in a friends converted garage until they were old enough to separate from mom.

Mom is at the vets right now recovering from being spayed and then will have to be released back outside because she is so wild.
Hopefully she will hang around and let us continue to feed her and provide decent shelters for her to escape from the weather into.

The kittens spent their first few days hissing at me but have now decided I am the coolest thing they have ever seen since mom.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
adorable kittens B27!!!!!! wow!!! I am hunting for another kitten as a buddy for Max........your pic made me want one all the more
Old 09-19-2004, 14:26   #12
B27
CLM Number 280
57 state tour!

APG-
The Petsmart in Butthead has shelter rescue kittens there for adoption every Saturday.
I was there last night and they had a little six week old Siamese male that I had to tear myself away from.