SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2004, 19:40   #1
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon D70???

I currently have an EOS 10s. Like it, but am not super happy with Canon's EF lenses. Slow (f-stop), and loud, and the zoom is "slippy" on the 70-210. Have the 35-105, f:45-56 (dayum, that's slow), and the 70-210 f:4, and a nice Quantaray flash.

Well, I would like to go digital SLR. I am conflicted. Have been a Canon guy since I got my AE-1 in junior High. I already have Canon accessories.

But I have read that the D70 is a better body and the kit lens is head and shoulders above the kit lens on the Canon. Nikon lenses are apparently not that much more $ than Canons (I thought the difference would be much greater), and seem to be faster for the price.

As I write this, I seem to be convincing myself to start over again with Nikon, but my cheapness and comfort with the brand says stick with what you know and already have extra goodies for.

I don't want this to turn into a Ford/Chevy, 9/.45 thread! I just want some help making a good decision.
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 00:39   #2
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

If you really are comparing the D70 to a Digital Rebel, there's really no competition. From what I can remember, the D70 should blow the rebel out of the water. Also, the D70 is more professional-looking, if that matters. Right now, DSLRs are not something you can really dilly-dally around in, unless you own a bunch of oil rigs. I say either jump in head-first or stay out of the water (the D70 being head-first). You'll have to go with new lenses and accessories if you do pick the Nikon. However, they are great lenses, and if you do your homework you can pick out the duds from the studs.
Old 09-18-2004, 19:28   #3
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

yeah...the d70 is comparable to the canon 10d. i use both, and think that its really just a preference deal. i prefer the layout and user friendliness of the canon 10d. but both are good quality and offer similar things.
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 23:36   #4
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

muscles brings up a good point. Since you have a lot of Canon equipment sitting around and you're willing to spend the bucks on the D70, check out the 10D. I believe that is the model my dad has and it's quite a piece of art. He uses it mostly at airshows where he can fire off 10 shots without skipping a beat. It uses the EF mount, which I believe several other Canon AF film SLRs use, so you may have some. It's now discontinued, but you should still be able to find them easily online. The new 20D is scheduled to take the 10's place sometime, but I'm not sure when. Check out DPReview for reviews on pretty much all digital cameras available, discontinued or not.

However, if the EF system is getting you down, I suggest going in a totally different direction: Minolta. Ever since my girlfriend's mom gave me an old SRT101, I've been a HUGE Minolta fan. I was hoping they'd make a DSLR and apparently the Maxxum 7D slipped under my radar. It's a 6 mp and incorporates the anti-shake device in the body itself (which I assume makes the need to buy special lenses a moot point). If the lenses it uses are anyting like the ones I use on my Maxxum 5 then I'm sold already. They're very fast to AF, and the focus ring automatically returns to infinity upon switching the camera off, thus shortening the lense (I don't believe Nikon nor Canon does that, so it's worth noting). Here's a link if you're interested: Minolta Maxxum 7D

Last edited by Glock Bob; 09-18-2004 at 23:51..
Glock Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 23:59   #5
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Glock Bob,

You Bastid!!

I thought I had it all thunk out, and you give me new stuff to think on!!!;P

But seriously, thanks for the tip. I had not even considered Minolta. I'll give it a look before I spend my hard earned dough.

Thanks again (for making my decision harder..grrrrr). ;e
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:54   #6
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

yeah...also consider what you will be using it for. i take a lot of outdoor photos(nature, backpacking, climbing & canyoneering). as a result, i wanted a slr body that could take abuse. the rebel body is plastic. its light, but fragile. the 10d is built on a metal frame making it very durable. if you already have ef lenses, then the 10d wont dissapoint you. i promise. ive been using it for almost a couple years and absolutely love it. an addition that i really like is the bd-ed3 battery grip. it allows you to use 2 batteries for longer shooting periods, and adds an extra grip & button for portrait style photos. this is an important feature in my opinion.

but again...consider your primary use prior to making a decision.
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote