Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2004, 23:46   #1
vart

Minn. motorcyclist clocked at 205 mph!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6064129/

Man arrested after racing with another bikerThe Associated Press
Updated: 12:33 p.m. ET Sept. 21, 2004WABASHA, Minn. - A motorcyclist in Minnesota has been arrested for speeding while allegedly going faster than 200 mph.

The speed limit was 65 mph on U.S. Highway 61 near Wabasha. Police say Samuel Tilley was breaking that limit by 140 mph. They say a state patrol pilot who was flying overhead clocked Tilley doing 205 mph while racing with another motorcyclist.

Pilot Al Loney says the bike was traveling nearly twice as fast as his plane. He radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two cyclists over.

Only the faster one was arrested.

Tilley is charged with reckless driving and driving without a motorcycle license in addition to the speeding charge.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 00:33   #2
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

Quote:
clocked Tilley doing 205 mph
Not a chance. The 20 year old was riding an RC51, not a turbo Busa, etc. Still, he was going over 65....

All bleeding eventually stops.
Eyespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:07   #3
vart

How do you know what bike he was riding? Another source?

If the pilot of the plane said he was going twice as fast as the plane, then hew was definately going very fast; planes can't go too slow or they will stall out. Isn't landing speed for the typical Cessna around 70 mph?

Not disputing your claim, just wondering if you had more insight.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:21   #4
chevrofreak

As it is right now I dont believe there is a single stock bike (Y2k excluded) that can go that fast. The Hayabusa was at its fastest in 1999 and it couldnt even do 205.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!
View My Ebay Auctions <-- currently 0 auction(s) running
Threat Solutions UCR The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:00   #5
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak
As it is right now I dont believe there is a single stock bike (Y2k excluded) that can go that fast. The Hayabusa was at its fastest in 1999 and it couldnt even do 205.
There isn't.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:14   #6
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

But... I have read of bikes that were modified that would do that speed. Clocking someone and writing them up isn't a trivial matter. I would tend to believe the officer because there really isn't any reason to make up stuff like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55   #7
chevrofreak

It takes a hell of a lot of grunt to push a bike that fast. It would need to be a light bike with a light rider and around 200 horsepower, or a large engine that produces massive torque.

Turbo bikes are very common now, though. Pretty much any turbo 900+ CC bike could probably push 200.
Old 09-22-2004, 15:48   #8
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

Highway 61 Revisited:
Copy of ticket here:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

At 205 MPH, Speed Thrills
Minnesota biker cited for driving 140 mph over limit

SEPTEMBER 22--The below Minnesota speeding ticket should be in a museum someplace. That's because motorcyclist Samuel Tilley, 20, was clocked Saturday afternoon going 205 mph on his Honda 1000. That was 140 mph over the limit on U.S. Highway 61. Tilley was clocked at Indy car speeds by a State Patrol pilot flying overhead, stopwatch in hand. The pilot radioed ahead to a state trooper who pulled Tilley over and issued the reckless driving citation. Tilley, the son of a sheriff's deputy, displaces William Faenza at the top of TSG's speediest driver list. Faenza was nabbed last September when Pennsylvania cops clocked him doing 182 mph in his Lamborghini Diablo.
Old 09-22-2004, 17:00   #9
HKMark23

There is a 3 page post on this over in GNG.
Lots of "stuff" about how fast bikes go.... ;Q

Last edited by HKMark23; 09-22-2004 at 17:04..
HKMark23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 18:28   #10
chevrofreak

Well, Honda 1000 can mean only one of two bikes that I am aware of. SuperHawk 996 (VTR1000F) or the RC51 (RVT1000) and neither of these can come remotely close to 200 miles per hour. (VTR 150, RVT 170)
Old 09-23-2004, 08:57   #11
BlackPaladin

Chevrofreak the honda cbr 1000rr is what he was riding-I rode with this guy twice in the last 4 months.

for 04 the honda cbr, kawasaki zx10r, yamaha r1, and suzuki gsxr 1000 all have it in them to run over 200+ mph except for a program burnt into 3 or 4 places in the computer system LIMITING sportbikes to 186mph. The Busa and zx 12 ninja are both bikes of the past as the new zx 10r has now around 185 hp FACTORY. I believe that in the road test review of the 10r included something about it being able to do over 100mph in first gear before hitting the rev limiter, and there are 5 more gears to go!
Im not saying that its smart to go that fast BUT hey I plan on reaching the 200mph+ club befor too long myself, Im just gonna do it with the cops on my side
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:22   #12
ruglockin?

205 my arse

Moto Gp bikes can barely do 200 mph. Can you say nitrous.
ruglockin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:27   #13
vafish

Fox news article.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133198,00.html

Lists the actual time the Trooper clocked him. It was only over a 1/4 mile stretch.

I had a stock 2000 Hyabusa to an INDICATED 315 KM/HR (196 mph) when I lived in Australia. No speed limits outside of town and it was a Demo bike. My 1997 CBR1100XX with a Stage 1 jet kit, ignition advancer, air filter, and Yoshimura race exhaust would only do 305 indicated, and the Busa seemed like it went way more than 10 KPH faster when we rode them side by side. But the Blackbird would take the Busa off the line.

Gotta love a place with no speed limits and long straight roads. Just mind the roos, lizards and emu's.

Anyhow,

No one said his bike was stock.

How many sport bike riders do you know that do leave their bikes stock? Everyone I've ridden with quickly puts new pipes on at least. New computer chips, jetting, pipes, turbos, nitrous are all relativly easy mods to make these days.

Unless the trooper is lying about his stop watch reading, or the marks on the pavement aren't 1/4 mile apart like they should be, I'd say the guy was actually doing 205 MPH.

Judging by the troopers statement that the bike suddenly pulled away from the bike he was racing that does make me strongly suspect nitrous was involved. I bet the guy hit the button for the juice and just held on for dear life. Not much else you can do at those speeds.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 20:59   #14
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

A 0.5 sec error in use of the stopwatch equates to about a 50mph calculated error in speed in that range. The bike was not going anywhere near 200mph....more like 160-180.

Old 09-23-2004, 21:03   #15
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackPaladin
Chevrofreak the honda cbr 1000rr is what he was riding-I rode with this guy twice in the last 4 months.

No, he wasn't. It was a 2003 RC51 with a 2 Bros slip-on...

Old 09-24-2004, 05:22   #16
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackPaladin
How did you keep up with him? ;f
Old 09-26-2004, 23:11   #17
skorpio
Arsenal? Me?

Send a message via Yahoo to skorpio
"motoGP bikes can barely do 200mph" cough-bs-cough!

The Duc is pushing upwards of 215, with the RC211V and the M1 fairly close to that. Even the KR3 and that God-awful looking Kawi are 200+ machines.

BTW--as an owner of a RC51 that is modded out the right way (15/41 520, Sato ti, PCII w/ Kyle 11, ect), the v-twin has a hard time seeing over 170mph with a 200+ pound rider. In fact, with the 15/41, I can bump the soft rev limiter with enough road.
skorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50   #18
vafish

Now that I've found out the bike was an RC-51 I do have my doubts that he was truly going 205.

Do you think as part of his defense they're going to take his bike out to Bonneville and see what it really can do?
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:49   #19
ClickClickBoom
Sod Off

Send a message via AIM to ClickClickBoom
RC51s throw down about 120 RWHP on a good day, I don't see it happening. It would take more than a couple 'bolt ons' to pull that off.
RimFire #326, Niner #389, MotoClub #400, TenRing #428
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven'. Such is the rule of Honor.'
ClickClickBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:44   #20
Alchemy

Motorcycle

Nitrous....Hogwash, It was a collaborative covert operation
between Double Tap & Corbon on the next generation of
powder propellants!
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 16:51   #21
RKC2000
OFOPOS

According to the local news here in Minneapolis, the guy is 20 years old. This wasn't even his bike. His father is a sheriff to boot.

Stock Ninja's could (3 years ago) go 197 mph.

Now, this story might have credibility if he was driving a 600 cubic inch Chevy V-8 Boss Hoss that develops over 500 horsepower.

There's one Boss Hoss I saw at a motorcycle show used for racing: NOS, over 1,000 hp and would do 0-100 in 3.5 seconds. This was on a sign next to the bike.

These are two-speeds as well. They estimate that bike as capable of 300 mph.
Old 09-29-2004, 22:05   #22
ClickClickBoom
Sod Off

Send a message via AIM to ClickClickBoom
Too bad a Big Block Boss Hoss weighs about 1300 pounds. I heard they actually use a modified powerglide. And who the hell wants a nearly three-quarter ton pig when Terry Kizer can extract 460+ Horses from a bike that weighs less than half as much?

Moto Club
RimFire #326, Niner #389, MotoClub #400, TenRing #428
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven'. Such is the rule of Honor.'
ClickClickBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:35   #23
chevrofreak

ClickClickBoom those Mr Turbo bikes are definately fast! Ever watched the videos?
Old 10-01-2004, 14:31   #24
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
The 200+MPH claim would have had a lot more credibility if it had been one of these!

Anyhow, the fastest my 800cc VFR has ever been modded to was slightly over 190MPH...and that is plenty damn fast for me!!

It now has about 3 less ponies (put the mirrors back on!) and the last time I opened 'er up it maxed at an indicated 191, which is about 186 per.

My buddy on his 1150RT BMW had been bragging about his 'big' bike, but all that really means in a big comfy Twin is heavy. Even with my taller engine and lowered pegs, he just couldn't swing through the corners low enough to keep the speed up. His Beemer just wanted to go straight, even with me as pilot.

At least on his bike, I could keep up with HIM, though...

Yeah, as far as stock bikes go the Hayabusa and the 1200 Ninja are pretty speedy...but if you are talking about a non-NOS tricked bike, a well-set-up Yamaha R1 is tough to beat in the corners. And it will eat a Honda Blackbird 1100 XX UP.

A 'Busa is sort of like an old Yamaha VMax...hell in a straight line, but too heavy to have a chance in the twisties.

Best regards, and keep the shiny side up!

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 20:57   #25
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally posted by fastvfr
Anyhow, the fastest my 800cc VFR has ever been modded to was slightly over 190MPH...and that is plenty damn fast for me!!

It now has about 3 less ponies (put the mirrors back on!) and the last time I opened 'er up it maxed at an indicated 191, which is about 186 per.
Every bike I've ever read of breaking even 180 MPH has had over 150 HP at the rear wheel and weighed less than 500 lbs. Stock VFRs have no more than 110 HP and weigh more than 500 lbs.

How did you squeeze 60+ horsepower more out of your 782cc VFR (for an output of more than 2HP/liter)? And, how did you verify your top speeds?