SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2004, 09:39   #1
Rawny
Cheshire Dawg

ID this Army patch

Does anyone recognize this patch? Jugding from the older Dessert storm era camo pattern, it was issued no later than the early 90s.

There are no other markings beside the "US Army" patch up front, so I have no idea where to look for information about that unit.

BTW, why is the US flag flipped backwards?
Tac. Shotgun Club.No.89
Rawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:45   #2
Nicolai

Quote:
BTW, why is the US flag flipped backwards?
The flag is backwards to look as if the flag is blowing in the wind as the wearer moves forward into battle. I had to get them sewn on all my uniforms earlier this year.
Nicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 13:42   #3
Rawny
Cheshire Dawg

Does that mean only those who might see combat have the backward flag?
Tac. Shotgun Club.No.89
Old 09-26-2004, 16:23   #4
Nicolai

Quote:
Does that mean only those who might see combat have the backward flag?
No. It used to be that only those deployed over seas wore them, and removed them when they got home. As of sometime last year, the Army Chief of Staff ordered that all soldiers wear the flag because our country is engaged in the Global War on Terrorism, and will be for the forseeable future. Or to quote the Army "It symbolizes the Army's commitment to fight and win America's wars at home and abroad." I have never been in combat but I have to wear them on my BDU's.

The fact that the soldier in your picture is wearing his flag under the patch you mentioned means that particular soldier was deployed during some war or conflict, while in that unit.
Nicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 18:00   #5
nothing
Advertisement

22nd Field Army Support Command

My Company 1SG was deployed with them in Desert Storm. I think they have been deactivated.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 21:03   #6
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

22nd ASG is still around. They are based out of Vinchenza, Italy.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 19:21   #7
CarlosDJackal

Re: ID this Army patch

Quote:
Originally posted by Rawny
...BTW, why is the US flag flipped backwards?
Not if the flag is worn on the right sleeve.
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 21:45   #8
KNEESINTHEBREEZ
Got Silk?

Quote:
Originally posted by nothing
22nd Field Army Support Command

My Company 1SG was deployed with them in Desert Storm. I think they have been deactivated.
My father was a CPT during GW1 and was also deployed with them. Perhaps they knew each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Dawg #1296|Sub Club #10011|MilSurp #1296|Texas Glockers #30|Black Rifle Club #35|Wheelhouse #82
KNEESINTHEBREEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:25   #9
RoyG
NSDQ

21st Theater Support Command (TSC)

Actually the patch belongs to 21st Theater Support Command (TSC). Their Official Homepage is here.
RoyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 19:49   #10
actionpup
Psycho Pup!

Re: 21st Theater Support Command (TSC)

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyG
Actually the patch belongs to 21st Theater Support Command (TSC). Their Official Homepage is here.
It looks like the patch for 21st TSC is very different than the patch in question. I'm not familiar with either unit however.

21st TSC: Veteran's Forum
Old 09-30-2004, 23:27   #11
nothing
Advertisement

Here is the 22nd FASCOM patch at the bottom.

http://www.vetshome.com/military_sup...s_history1.htm

Veteran's Forum

Here is the subdued desert cammo:
http://store.yahoo.com/militarybest/22fielarsupm.html

Veteran's Forum

I believe this is a different unit from the 22nd ASG and the 21st TSG although they might have ties to what was the 22nd FASCOM

Last edited by nothing; 09-30-2004 at 23:30..
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:02   #12
Rawny
Cheshire Dawg

Re: Re: ID this Army patch

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDJackal
Not if the flag is worn on the right sleeve.
I don't think it is a reversible patch. So it wouldn't matter which side it is sewn, the stars are still going to be on the upper right.
Tac. Shotgun Club.No.89
Old 10-01-2004, 14:06   #13
Ol'Duke

Looking at the new uniform....all patches, rank and name/U.S. Army tapes will be velcro attached like the Air Force patches.

Ol'Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 21:50   #14
actionpup
Psycho Pup!

Re: Re: Re: ID this Army patch

Quote:
I don't think it is a reversible patch. So it wouldn't matter which side it is sewn, the stars are still going to be on the upper right.
Dude, I hope you are kidding...
Old 10-02-2004, 00:41   #15
nolajkl
SUNSHINE

US Flag

The American flag is worn on the right shoulder. It is worn backwards to show that the US flag is waving into battle. If a combat patch is worn, then the US flag is under that patch.
nolajkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:54   #16
Rawny
Cheshire Dawg

Re: Re: Re: Re: ID this Army patch

Quote:
Originally posted by actionpup
Dude, I hope you are kidding...
I meant no matter what side(sleeve) the patch is sewn on. The flag is still going to be backwards.
Tac. Shotgun Club.No.89
Old 10-02-2004, 08:46   #17
actionpup
Psycho Pup!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ID this Army patch

Quote:
I meant no matter what side(sleeve) the patch is sewn on. The flag is still going to be backwards.
Veteran's Forum
The reverse flag patch is for wear on the right shoulder. If the flag were worn on the left shoulder (which it isn't that I am aware) the standard flag patch would be worn to demonstrate the same principle...forward movement as it would still be blowing toward the rear.

All Soldiers to Wear U.S. Flag on Uniforms
from Army News Service

Feb 23 2004

New Requirement Mandatory by October 2005
By Sgt. 1st Class Marcia Triggs
WASHINGTON -- All Soldiers can now wear the U.S. flag insignia on the right shoulder of their utility uniform, as a continued reminder that the Army is engaged in a war at home and abroad.

“The flag has been around for years to identify deploying troops. Now based on the Army’s joint expeditionary mindset, the flag represents our commitment to fight the war on terror for the foreseeable future,” said Sgt. Maj. Walter Morales, the uniform policy chief for G1.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker approved the uniform item Feb. 11, and all Soldiers have until Oct. 1, 2005 to get the insignia sewn on their uniforms.

A message on the uniform policy went out to the force Feb. 14, announcing "the current policy of deployed Soldiers wearing the U.S. flag on utility uniforms is expanded to include all Soldiers throughout the force regardless of deployment status."

Currently there are not enough flags in the inventory, which is why Soldiers have a substantial amount of time to get the flags sewn on, Morales said. Deploying troops have the priority. Everyone else will have to wait until the Defense Logistics Agency has more in stock, he said. An estimated 30 million flags need to be procured, he added.

Enlisted Soldiers will not have to purchase the flags. They will be issued five flags from their assigned unit, and commanders will make arrangements for getting the insignia sewn on, Morales said. However, if Soldiers purchase the flags on their own, they will not be reimbursed, he added.

When purchasing the flag, the only ones authorized for wear on the uniform is the reverse field flag in red, white and blue. Subdued flags and those in other colors are in violation of U.S. code, Morales said. Individuals should comply with Army Regulation 670-1, Wear and Appearance of the Army Uniform and Insignia.

The regulation still states that Soldiers are not authorized to wear the full-color cloth U.S. flag replica upon their return to home station. However, the latest change will be added to the regulation when it is revised sometime this year, Morales said.

Nothing has changed regarding the placement of the flag, Morales said. It is sewn ˝ inch below the shoulder seam. If a combat patch is also placed on the right shoulder, the flag is sewn 1/8 inch below the combat patch.

“The flag is worn on the right shoulder to give the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward,” Morales said. “This will serve as a vivid reminder that our nation is at war.”

Source Article
Old 10-02-2004, 08:47   #18
actionpup
Psycho Pup!

Veteran's Forum
Old 10-02-2004, 18:00   #19
Rawny
Cheshire Dawg

Understood. Thanks for clearing it up.

The picture in my original post came from a BDU with the old dessert pattern. So back then, only those who serve overseas get a flag sewn on to ID them as US troops.
Tac. Shotgun Club.No.89
Old 10-08-2004, 17:36   #20
pwharve

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol'Duke
Looking at the new uniform....all patches, rank and name/U.S. Army tapes will be velcro attached like the Air Force patches.
Outside of maybe some of our more sepcial troops (and none of the ones I've worked with, but I've only worked with a few), the only people who have velcro patches are fliers on their flight suits. The rest of us sew our (too many) patches on.

We got away from General McPeak's chaotic uniform changes (velcro aircrew style leather name patch) about 10 minutes after he retired about 10 years ago. Thank God.

--pwharve
pwharve is offline   Reply With Quote