Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2013, 15:38   #1
attrapereves

Glock 29 FTF

I noticed something today while going through my range logs for the past year. Every time I have taken the 29 to the range since January 1, it has had at least one failure. Failures are usually failure to feeds (usually the nose of the bullet will jam on the side of the chamber or the top), or the slide locks back with rounds in the mag. Brass appears in good shape. However, some of the hotter loads look like the slide closed slightly on them.

I noticed that two of my 10rnd mags have one follower design, and the other two have a different follower design. I am going to pay close attention next time at the range to determine if it's a magazine issue.

I use the same ammo in my Glock 20 and have never had an issue. However, based on what I've read, I believe the 29 to be more finicky than the 20.

Obviously I cannot trust this pistol for carry at the moment, but I'm not sure what to do. Any tips? Has anyone had trouble with their 29? This is the only Glock I've really ever had problems with.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56   #2
G29SFWTF

I had failure to feed with my Gen3 G29SF which was causing fail to fire. Original thread is here for details:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...8#post20628628

I got a new (aftermarket) trigger with adjustable pretravel from Glockparts.com and it does not have the issue. I have not shot it yet but there is no gouging or impeding of the slide when cycling manually with this trigger.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29   #3
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Not one problem ever with my Gen3 29sf.
Have at least 1000 rounds of Underwood 200grain xtp thru it and some other BB and SF and Talons.....Pistola is 100% stock.
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36   #4
attrapereves

It's weird because I've owned this pistol for two years, yet the problems seem to have only started about a year ago. It's obviously something related to the gun feeding properly. I'm suspecting either magazines or the recoil spring. I'll try to narrow it down to any mags, then possibly change the RSA.
Old 09-19-2013, 15:59   #5
deadandgone

I suspect mags....

From my own experience, I suspect mags. I have 2 G20 mags that will feed my G29 only with the original glock barrel...they will not feed my 4.6 inch storm lake barrel. The three G29 mags I have will feed the glock barrel as well as the storm lake.

So, if I want capacity, the glock barrel is in. if I want a little more speed(not really needed) I put in the storm lake with g29 mags.

I have my own thing kind of figured out...but my wrestling with the different mags....I think it is a mag thing
deadandgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 19:59   #6
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I like the plan of looking at mags first. I would isolate each one and see if one, in particular, is the culprit. I have one mag for my G20 that is about 99.5%, so I have marked it and don't use it for carry or matches.

Any aftermarket parts?
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 21:20   #7
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I like the plan of looking at mags first. I would isolate each one and see if one, in particular, is the culprit. I have one mag for my G20 that is about 99.5%, so I have marked it and don't use it for carry or matches.

Any aftermarket parts?
No aftermarket parts. I believe I have posted this on here before, but I will post it again for a refresher.

I have four G29 mags. Two that came with the gun have one style of feed lips, the other two were purchased separately and have another style. The angle at which the bullet feeds is slightly different between the two. However, the followers appear to be the same.

Anyone who has bought a G29 recently, can you verify which feed lips Glock is currently using?

These came with the gun:

The 10 Ring

These were purchased separately (I believe these are older style):

The 10 Ring

Last edited by attrapereves; 09-19-2013 at 21:21..
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33   #8
attrapereves

Just a quick update... I purchased the newer style RSA and will swap it out with my older one that is slightly bent (I had been wanting to do this anyways). I also bought two new gen4 mags that I will test out at the range.

If I still have problems, I will consider upgrading to a heavier recoil spring.
Old 11-17-2013, 22:36   #9
Rigormootis
Semper Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Just a quick update... I purchased the newer style RSA and will swap it out with my older one that is slightly bent (I had been wanting to do this anyways). I also bought two new gen4 mags that I will test out at the range.

If I still have problems, I will consider upgrading to a heavier recoil spring.

So, how'd this turn out?
Rigormootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 19:37   #10
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Did your ftf's happen to coincide with using hotter ammo than usual?

My 29 was purchased 03/2013

The 10 Ring
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 11-18-2013 at 19:51..
vaquero aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 22:17   #11
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigormootis View Post
So, how'd this turn out?
Using the two brand new magazines, the two mags that came with my Glock in 2011, and the newer style RSA, I have not had any issues. I've fired 100 rounds trouble free. It was either the mags or the RSA causing the issue.

I'll probably take the older style mags to the range next time and see if I can cause any failures. If I can, I will swap out the springs and followers for newer style.

I originally thought it may have been caused by hot loads, but the same hot loads worked fine back when I first purchased the Glock. They also work fine in my G20.

Also, it seems that Glock has yet again changed their 10mm follower design. The brand new mags I purchased have a different follower number from the mags that shipped with my 2011 made 29SF. That's one thing that makes me irritated about Glock is that they never tell why they changed something. Obviously the older design caused issues, otherwise they wouldn't have changed it.

Last edited by attrapereves; 11-18-2013 at 22:19..
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 22:47   #12
Rigormootis
Semper Gumby

Thanks for the update. I'd be interested if you can indeed "force" these errors with your old mags.
Rigormootis is offline   Reply With Quote