SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:45   #1
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

New Heinie Straight Eights/EASY way to remove channel liner WITHOUT damage

I just got some Heinie Straight Eight night sights for the G29. It's about time I got some proper sights. I've been using the crappy plastic Glock sights for 6 months now. I even used a dented up set for nearly 4 months.

Install went well. I had planned to take them to a local shop to get them installed, but I got them at 2:00pm today, the Bama game started at 2:30pm, and there was no way I could miss that. So, I decided to give them a shot myself. They were easy. I made a little front sight tool by grinding down a 5/32" (I think that's the size) socket until its walls were thin enough. Then, I ground the nose flat, so it would engage the thin screw. It worked great.

After removing the factory sights, I test fitted the rear, and found it was too tight. I used some lube, as per the instructions, but followed the advice I had seen in a video by the guy that makes Dawson Precision sights. He has a great video that shows you how to properly fit sights. I filed down the sight's dovetail (the sight, NOT the slide) until they would go about halfway and then get really tough. At that point, I put some muscle into it, and beat it into place. All I used was a nylon mallet. No punch was needed, nor was a vice. I just held the muzzle of the slide, and rested the back side on a table as I hit the sight. After several back and forth movements, I got it centered, and tightened the set screw.

Then, I followed the instructions for the front. I coated the lug with red Loctite 271, and put a dab on the screw. I snugged it up, and I was good to go.

They have a perfect sight picture, and the 2-dot tritium setup is great. They made the front dot slightly larger and brighter, so that it is easier to pick up. However, the rear is still plenty bright. You can see them glowing in the below pictures even though the room is well lit. They are a good bit brighter than the Glock night sights on my G21SF. Also, I like that there is some light in between the front post and rear notch, though there is not as much as it seems in the pictures. The serrated sighting edges of the sights are nice, too. They make sure the sights will be dark black in any light.

I'll have a range report soon, but in the mean time, here are some pictures:

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Also, I figured out a very easy way to remove your plastic channel liner WITHOUT damaging it. I know that it's pretty hard to remove the liner without tearing it up. I also posted this in General Glocking, but I figured I'd share it here, as well. I actually figured this out accidentally. I saw some crud in my G29's striker channel that wouldn't come out with Q-tips. I grabbed a nylon brush that I bought several months back when I was hand-cleaning my brass (before I got the tumbler). I'm pretty sure it's a .223 case neck brush, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I stuck it all the way into the striker channel, and spun it to clean the junk out. When I pulled it out, the channel liner came right out, still stuck on the brush. I just pulled it off, and pushed it back in. You can use the back of your striker (the spacer sleeve) to push it back in. I also tested this on the G21SF, and it, too, slid right out without any issues/damage. So, if you ever have to remove your channel liner, and don't want to damage it, try this. The brush was only like $2.99.

Here's a picture of the brush next to a bronze .40S&W/10mm brush (left), and a Glock nylon brush (right) for reference:

The 10 Ring

Last edited by 21Carrier; 12-07-2011 at 17:47..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:32   #2
HAMMERHEAD

Nice tip on the striker channel.
Straight Eights are the way to go, I've had them or Slant Pros on every Glock I've owned at one time or another.
Blue Loctite (medium strength) is usually recommended on the front sight screw. If you ever want to remove yours you might have to heat it up to get the red stuff to let go.
HAMMERHEAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:18   #3
oceanbob

I appreciate the info on the Sites....Give us a performance report when you can. I am going to be buying some soon for a couple of my Glocks.

Take care
Bob
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:34   #4
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen

you will love your Heine straight sights and thanks for the channel liner tip.
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58   #5
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

These sights are awesome. I haven't shot the gun yet, though I will in the next day or two, but I can tell they are going to be awesome target shooting sights. I just hope POA and POI are the same. It somewhat worries me that this set is supposed to fit ALL calibers/Glocks besides the G36. I just find that hard to believe when Glock uses different sizes for different calibers.

The tritium is the brightest I've ever seen. The vials are made by Trijicon, and are perfect. I was testing them out tonight in the house while it was dark. I only went through about 2 magazines, but they seemed to be really accurate. I love the 2-dot sighting system. I pity any fool that breaks into my home. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel with these things (not that I ever WANT to use my G29 in anger). Here are some pictures of the sight picture at night:

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Last edited by 21Carrier; 12-07-2011 at 17:48..
Old 09-13-2011, 19:29   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Lookin' good, bud!! The POI has been DEAD ON with both of my G29's in the past. Sharp lookin sights, I tell ya. I'll have some for my G20SF in a month or two.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
BTW, I've got a question.... how does the Heinie sight work with your Don Hume holster.... Does the front sight make it through the sight channel in the holster? My sight channel looks a bit low for a higher sight like the Heinie....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 09-15-2011, 16:55   #8
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
BTW, I've got a question.... how does the Heinie sight work with your Don Hume holster.... Does the front sight make it through the sight channel in the holster? My sight channel looks a bit low for a higher sight like the Heinie....
Yeah, it fits fine. My sight channel on mine is a little lower than it used to be, too. It still fits fine.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33   #9
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
Yeah, it fits fine. My sight channel on mine is a little lower than it used to be, too. It still fits fine.
Cool, good deal

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 09-27-2011, 19:56   #10
BIGBOY61

21C,

I just wanted to check in on you and your Heine sights now that you have had them for several weeks.

I still have my stock sights on my G20 and I am in the market for some night sights. I like the Heine straight 8 sights.

Has your opinion altered or changed in the past few weeks about them?

Any update on sight and shot placement when shooting with these sights would be great!

Thx
BIGBOY61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:14   #11
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Should I bump this thread up again? Yea, why not.

My Heinie #318's are on their way to me now along with a Wheeler front sight tool. My G20SF is about to be realllly happy. Can't wait. I've missed having Heinie's on my CCW.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 12-07-2011, 17:43   #12
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOY61 View Post
21C,

I just wanted to check in on you and your Heine sights now that you have had them for several weeks.

I still have my stock sights on my G20 and I am in the market for some night sights. I like the Heine straight 8 sights.

Has your opinion altered or changed in the past few weeks about them?

Any update on sight and shot placement when shooting with these sights would be great!

Thx
I still love them. In my G29, they seem to be dead-on with 180-200gr bullets, but 135gr bullets at high velocity shoot about 2" low (about 15 yards). They have the best sight picture out there, and the tritium is awesome. I highly recommend them. Sorry I was so late answering. I never saw your post.

Nick, congrats. You know you'll love them.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:56   #13
arushus
Biggest Member

Ive been a BIG fan of my xs sights, but Im thinking my next set will be the heinie straight eights also
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:

Nick, congrats. You know you'll love them.

Thanks, I do

The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 11-16-2013, 13:03   #15
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Hey gang.... I am on the Heinie website looking at sights for my 29sf. I like the looks of these....

What is the difference between these sights?
Which model # did 21Carrier get ?

Thanks !
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 13:59   #16
4Rules

Quote:
...I test fitted the rear, and found it was too tight. I used some lube, as per the instructions, but followed the advice I had seen in a video by the guy that makes Dawson Precision sights. He has a great video that shows you how to properly fit sights...
It is a great video.

4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 19:41   #17
crazywednesday

Great tip on the channel liner!

Justin
crazywednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 22:35   #18
jeremy1

I wanted the heinie sights but couldn't find them. Ordered truglo TFOs for my G20. They do look sharp on that G29 and I bet they work very well

Last edited by jeremy1; 11-16-2013 at 22:36..
jeremy1 is offline   Reply With Quote