GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2004, 18:24   #1
DWavs

Send a message via ICQ to DWavs Send a message via AIM to DWavs Send a message via Yahoo to DWavs

Phone Line Problem

Let me start by saying I live on a non state maintained road so cable or dsl is not an option.

I have a second phone line for dial up and a couple of weeks ago my connection dropped for 52 to anywhere from 14.4 to 30.6 ;g

When I plug a phone into the second line, I can hear quite a bit of static. I had a friend who works for the phone compnay install the line a couple of years ago so to my knowledge, I would have to pay for a housecall from the phone company.

Any ideas on what to check myself?

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
...a place to discuss cigars!

TT #1
DWavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 17:37   #2
frefoo

Do you have a telephone network interface (Grey Plastic Box) on the outside of your house?

Picture

If so open up the Customer side remove the phone line and plug a phone into the jack.
Picture

If the static goes away the problem is with your house wiring and the phone company will charge you to come out. If the static is still present then the problem is with the phone companies lines and there should be no-charge to correct it.

If the problem is with your house wiring, check for loose connections at the jack and the network interface (make sure the screws are tight). Also look at the wires to make sure they look to be in good condition and that there is no excess wire, where the insulation was stripped off.

Dave

[edit]

One other thing if it is a wire problem in your house...

If your phone cable has 4 wires (red green yellow and black) and the yellow and black are not being used, you can try to swap the green wire with the black and the red wire with the yellow.

You will have to make the swap at the phone jack and the junction box. If it is a bad wire in you house this may help clear up the static.

Since you have 2 phone lines the green and red wire may be for your phone line and the yellow and black may be for your modem in which case this will not work. It all depends on how your friend installed the phone line.

Dave

[end edit]

Last edited by frefoo; 10-03-2004 at 18:50..
frefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 20:39   #3
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i have had the exact problem you have described twice (at 2 different residences). phone company was bellsouth.

call them and tell them you hear static on the phone. they will tell you they will run a test, and not to use your phone for like 3 minutes or something.

within a few days, they'll fix it.

well, that's my experience. YMMV
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 21:36   #4
frefoo

Quote:
Originally posted by David_G17
i have had the exact problem you have described twice (at 2 different residences). phone company was bellsouth.

call them and tell them you hear static on the phone. they will tell you they will run a test, and not to use your phone for like 3 minutes or something.

within a few days, they'll fix it.

well, that's my experience. YMMV
Very True have them run the test.

If you have a box on the outside of your house, call them from the box (assuming you still get static at that point).

That grey box is the "line in the sand" that separates a phone company problem or a home owner problem.

If you get static at the "grey box" then the phone company is responsible to repair the problem at expense to them.

If you have a voltmeter you can measure the voltage at both points. With a phone "on-hook" you should see approx 15 volts DC. A phone "off-hook" will give you approx 50 volts DC.

Dave
frefoo is offline   Reply With Quote