GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2004, 07:52   #1
jundeleon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 604
multi caliber 1911

Will a complete upper assembly for a 1911 (slide, barrel, recoil spring, sights) of different caliber (9mm, 38 super, 40sw, or 10mm) work on a ParaOrndance p14.45 frame?
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:00   #2
revo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 679
Re: multi caliber 1911

Quote:
Originally posted by jundeleon
Will a complete upper assembly for a 1911 (slide, barrel, recoil spring, sights) of different caliber (9mm, 38 super, 40sw, or 10mm) work on a ParaOrndance p14.45 frame?
No. You need to have two more slides to accomplish the above.

There are dimensional differences between the breechfaces and
extractors.

The same P14 frame is used in all 5 inch guns.

But you have to swap out to a different slide for a .40S&W and a 10 mm as well as different extractors and ejectors.

You need to have a second slide to use the 9mm and 38super as well as swap out the extractor and ejector.
have to use different barrels.
revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:35   #3
4eyes
Provocateur
 
4eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: redneck heaven
Posts: 3,526


I shoot 9, 38 super, and 40 with one slide/frame. I only change barrels, recoil springs and extractor. One extractor works for 9 and 38 super, a separate one for 40. Each extractor is tuned. The ejector is labeled "long" from EGW and works for all 3. The 9/38 super mags work for all 3.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 20:29   #4
batangueno
Shock Resist
 
batangueno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,866


Quote:
Originally posted by 4eyes
I shoot 9, 38 super, and 40 with one slide/frame. I only change barrels, recoil springs and extractor. One extractor works for 9 and 38 super, a separate one for 40. Each extractor is tuned. The ejector is labeled "long" from EGW and works for all 3. The 9/38 super mags work for all 3.
Will the 40 case fit in the 9/38 slide breechface, and also the magazines? I would think that the 40 cartridge is too big for that. Although i haven't tried it, i will try it back home and see if they would fit.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 20:41   #5
mc_oliver
Senior Member
 
mc_oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 5,075
Re: multi caliber 1911

Quote:
Originally posted by jundeleon
Will a complete upper assembly for a 1911 (slide, barrel, recoil spring, sights) of different caliber (9mm, 38 super, 40sw, or 10mm) work on a ParaOrndance p14.45 frame?
Dre, you need to consider one thing. 'Di ramped barrel yang 45 mo. The other calibers usually come in a ramped configuration requiring your frame to be milled.

You can convert your existing 14.45 to 40 by swapping barrels, milling the frame and tig welding the breech face.
__________________
-- Clear your Mind of CAN'T --
***
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 21:12   #6
jundeleon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 604
mc_o

the para p14.45 ltd has a ramped barrel. so i think this will make things easier.

however, given all inputs, i would surmise that the whole thing of having a multi-caliber 1911 would not be as easy as I first thought especially on the extractor replacement.

I was thinking caliber change was a simple swap of slide, barrel, and recoil spring.
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 23:09   #7
mc_oliver
Senior Member
 
mc_oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 5,075
Quote:
Originally posted by jundeleon
mc_o

the para p14.45 ltd has a ramped barrel. so i think this will make things easier.

however, given all inputs, i would surmise that the whole thing of having a multi-caliber 1911 would not be as easy as I first thought especially on the extractor replacement.

I was thinking caliber change was a simple swap of slide, barrel, and recoil spring.
Oops, strike one for me.;f Ramped ba talaga P14 ever since o bago yan?

If that's the case, PM mo si shihan. If I'm not mistaken dual top-end setup niya (45 cal and 40 Modified). It's been done na, dre, as long as complete upper ang palit.
__________________
-- Clear your Mind of CAN'T --
***
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 23:19   #8
mc_oliver
Senior Member
 
mc_oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 5,075
One more thing, and this is just a guess and I could be wrong.

With multiple slides, the requirement is that the slides and barrels are fitted to the frame. Since it'll never be exact, in the long run, the mating surfaces will evetually wear out on the tighter pair. This leaves the other one in the loose end. How loose and how it will affect the accuracy and or reliability will be dependent on the part tolerances.

Kung pang club matches lang, yang 45 mo is more than sufficient with 16 rounds. Kung gusto mo full blown Standard gun bili ka na lang ng Armscor. Yung mga bago'ng Armscor daw bilog na frames. Grip tape lang katapat nun.
__________________
-- Clear your Mind of CAN'T --
***
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:24   #9
bulm540
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: TN
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Oops, strike one for me.;f Ramped ba talaga P14 ever since o bago yan?

If that's the case, PM mo si shihan. If I'm not mistaken dual top-end setup niya (45 cal and 40 Modified). It's been done na, dre, as long as complete upper ang palit.
Para ords have ramp barels fromt the factory.
__________________
formerly known as bulm5
bulm540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 20:04   #10
9MX
Rei!
 
9MX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shooting
Posts: 6,559


Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Oops, strike one for me.;f Ramped ba talaga P14 ever since o bago yan?

If that's the case, PM mo si shihan. If I'm not mistaken dual top-end setup niya (45 cal and 40 Modified). It's been done na, dre, as long as complete upper ang palit.
shihan rarely logs in so i'll answer this one. his pistol is originally a SPS long dust .45, he bought .40 barrel and slide(local ata) from jethro last year then he had tony pascual work on the slide/frame fit. what we found out is that it seems, only SPS .40mags would work on his frame, we tried an SVI before, the mag went in but during live fire, it drops even without engaging the mag release. after a match, he switches back to the orig .45 config. i'd ask his overall opinion on how he finds having a dual caliber set-up
__________________
at least buking na si Mando Rugas
BOG DAWG# 888
9MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 21:28   #11
revo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver


With multiple slides, the requirement is that the slides and barrels are fitted to the frame. Since it'll never be exact, in the long run, the mating surfaces will evetually wear out on the tighter pair. This leaves the other one in the loose end. How loose and how it will affect the accuracy and or reliability will be dependent on the part tolerances.

Which is why multi-caliber set-ups do not result in accurate guns.
revo is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,095
288 Members
807 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42