Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:52   #1
jundeleon

multi caliber 1911

Will a complete upper assembly for a 1911 (slide, barrel, recoil spring, sights) of different caliber (9mm, 38 super, 40sw, or 10mm) work on a ParaOrndance p14.45 frame?
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:00   #2
revo

Re: multi caliber 1911

Quote:
Originally posted by jundeleon
Will a complete upper assembly for a 1911 (slide, barrel, recoil spring, sights) of different caliber (9mm, 38 super, 40sw, or 10mm) work on a ParaOrndance p14.45 frame?
No. You need to have two more slides to accomplish the above.

There are dimensional differences between the breechfaces and
extractors.

The same P14 frame is used in all 5 inch guns.

But you have to swap out to a different slide for a .40S&W and a 10 mm as well as different extractors and ejectors.

You need to have a second slide to use the 9mm and 38super as well as swap out the extractor and ejector.
have to use different barrels.
revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:35   #3
4eyes
Provocateur

I shoot 9, 38 super, and 40 with one slide/frame. I only change barrels, recoil springs and extractor. One extractor works for 9 and 38 super, a separate one for 40. Each extractor is tuned. The ejector is labeled "long" from EGW and works for all 3. The 9/38 super mags work for all 3.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 20:29   #4
batangueno
Shock Resist

Quote:
Originally posted by 4eyes
I shoot 9, 38 super, and 40 with one slide/frame. I only change barrels, recoil springs and extractor. One extractor works for 9 and 38 super, a separate one for 40. Each extractor is tuned. The ejector is labeled "long" from EGW and works for all 3. The 9/38 super mags work for all 3.
Will the 40 case fit in the 9/38 slide breechface, and also the magazines? I would think that the 40 cartridge is too big for that. Although i haven't tried it, i will try it back home and see if they would fit.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 20:41   #5
mc_oliver

Re: multi caliber 1911

Quote:
Dre, you need to consider one thing. 'Di ramped barrel yang 45 mo. The other calibers usually come in a ramped configuration requiring your frame to be milled.

You can convert your existing 14.45 to 40 by swapping barrels, milling the frame and tig welding the breech face.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 21:12   #6
jundeleon

mc_o

the para p14.45 ltd has a ramped barrel. so i think this will make things easier.

however, given all inputs, i would surmise that the whole thing of having a multi-caliber 1911 would not be as easy as I first thought especially on the extractor replacement.

I was thinking caliber change was a simple swap of slide, barrel, and recoil spring.
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 23:09   #7
mc_oliver

Quote:
mc_o

the para p14.45 ltd has a ramped barrel. so i think this will make things easier.

however, given all inputs, i would surmise that the whole thing of having a multi-caliber 1911 would not be as easy as I first thought especially on the extractor replacement.

I was thinking caliber change was a simple swap of slide, barrel, and recoil spring.
Oops, strike one for me.;f Ramped ba talaga P14 ever since o bago yan?

If that's the case, PM mo si shihan. If I'm not mistaken dual top-end setup niya (45 cal and 40 Modified). It's been done na, dre, as long as complete upper ang palit.
Old 10-03-2004, 23:19   #8
mc_oliver

One more thing, and this is just a guess and I could be wrong.

With multiple slides, the requirement is that the slides and barrels are fitted to the frame. Since it'll never be exact, in the long run, the mating surfaces will evetually wear out on the tighter pair. This leaves the other one in the loose end. How loose and how it will affect the accuracy and or reliability will be dependent on the part tolerances.

Kung pang club matches lang, yang 45 mo is more than sufficient with 16 rounds. Kung gusto mo full blown Standard gun bili ka na lang ng Armscor. Yung mga bago'ng Armscor daw bilog na frames. Grip tape lang katapat nun.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:24   #9
bulm540

Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver

If that's the case, PM mo si shihan. If I'm not mistaken dual top-end setup niya (45 cal and 40 Modified). It's been done na, dre, as long as complete upper ang palit.
Para ords have ramp barels fromt the factory.
Old 10-04-2004, 20:04   #10
9MX
Rei!

Quote:

shihan rarely logs in so i'll answer this one. his pistol is originally a SPS long dust .45, he bought .40 barrel and slide(local ata) from jethro last year then he had tony pascual work on the slide/frame fit. what we found out is that it seems, only SPS .40mags would work on his frame, we tried an SVI before, the mag went in but during live fire, it drops even without engaging the mag release. after a match, he switches back to the orig .45 config. i'd ask his overall opinion on how he finds having a dual caliber set-up
Old 10-05-2004, 21:28   #11
revo

Quote:

With multiple slides, the requirement is that the slides and barrels are fitted to the frame. Since it'll never be exact, in the long run, the mating surfaces will evetually wear out on the tighter pair. This leaves the other one in the loose end. How loose and how it will affect the accuracy and or reliability will be dependent on the part tolerances.

Which is why multi-caliber set-ups do not result in accurate guns.
revo is offline   Reply With Quote