Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:53   #1
DocH
Man of Sorrows

Send a message via AIM to DocH Send a message via Yahoo to DocH
Question on pistol ammo

Does anyone know how the Geneva conv.( or is it Hague convention) rules read? Obviously,hollowpoint ammo is banned for the most part as issue ammo,but is it just hollow points or any expanding ammunition in pistols?
It occured to me that the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket 124gr. 9mm rounds might be a good choice if allowed.
I have not carried,fired,or expansion tested any of these in my own 9mm's,but all the reports I've read give it high marks, and all the photos I've seen show it to expand to a more perfect mushroom than even the best hollow points.
I know there's a lot of hype and advertising involved with new loads that may not always give one the big picture on performance,but it appears to me that this round meets the definition of a full metal jacket bullet,although it does,or is purported to expand.

If it works as advertised,it would seem to be a load that would be especially valuable to troops,especially in bldg.and bunker searches in tight quarters where the rifle is slung and the soldier goes to his sidearm.It would certainly be a big political deal to get the military to adopt this load as general issue,but could it be done without being in violation of the accords? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, if so,please share. This may have been mentioned before,but if so I missed the thread.
DocH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:04   #2
jay.shebuski

Doc H

So,..why do you think DOD has made the choice to use fmj..?

..and you have answered you own question.
jay.shebuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 20:57   #3
pwharve

It's even more complex than hollow point or expanding, I forget the exact language from my last LOAC breifing, but its something like intentionally designed to cause suffering.

Also, I'm told we never actually were a signatory to the specific document which banned HP, but we still abide by it because we'd like that treatment in return.

My understanding is that EFMJ would be out other than the exceptions you alluded to as it is intentionally designed to create a larger wound channel that standard FMJ.

--pwharve
pwharve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:53   #4
jay.shebuski

Also, I'm told we never actually were a signatory to the specific document which banned HP, but we still abide by it because we'd like that treatment in return.

--pwharve

...exactley!!
jay.shebuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 15:34   #5
DocH
Man of Sorrows

Send a message via AIM to DocH Send a message via Yahoo to DocH
OK,gentlemen.Thanks for the responses.
DocH is offline   Reply With Quote