Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2004, 21:01   #1
jack19512

Radeon 9000 Pro

I have a nephew that I am trying to help. He has a Nvidia video card in his computer and has a Radeon 9000 Pro Evil Commando video card that he wanted to install. He does not have the CD that probably came with the video card. We installed the 9000 card and we went to the ATI web site to download the drivers for the video card but we couldn't find his video card listed. My son has a 9800 Pro video card and I used his CD in hopes of getting the video card installed. To make a longer story shorter we got the computer to recognize the 9000 card and in device manager it showed the card to be installed and no problems, but the screen was shrunk with a black border app. 1 1/2 inches around the monitor. I think the problem is driver related but not sure, or the 9000 card was not XP compatible which is what he has. I know just enough about computers to get me in trouble. Both he and I would appreciate any help offered. Thanks
jack19512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 22:25   #2
Jtemple
Geek

Play around with the buttons on the front of your monitor. You can stretch the display to fit to your monitor that way.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 22:30   #3
RBR

I don't know how backwards compatible the newer drivers are for the old card you installed and you may or may not have issues with which version of DirectX you are running. You can try the old XP drivers link at the bottom of the ATI driver support page. And also check the card manufacturer website ,if not ATI,for driver support.

Try right clicking the mouse, go to properties,settings tab,advanced button,Adapter tab and see if correct card/driver info is there for your card.

Also go back to settings tab and see if changing the screen resolution helps you out. You may need to also adjust the settings on the monitor itself.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:18   #4
NetNinja
Always Faithful

ATI has unified drivers like Nvidia now has.

What that means in english is as long as the video card comes from the Radeon family the driver should work.
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...=11&submit.y=9

Most likely the problem you are having is you did not uninstall the old graphics drivers before you installed the new card.

Also usually when a new graphics card is installed it reverts back to a default resolution like 800x600.

RBR is correct in advising that you should right click on the desktop and go properties, settings and seeing what the desktop resolution is set at.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:37   #5
jack19512

Thanks to all. Before installing the new card I went to device manager and under the Nvidia card clicked on uninstall then shut down the computer. I did try changing the settings for the screen resolution from 800 by 600 to 1024 by 768 etc. etc. but I still had the border. In device manager under the new card it showed to have the new drivers. My nephew wanted to mess with the monitor adjustments but I said no because I don't think you should have to do that. I am sure it is probably something simple. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 10-13-2004, 08:04   #6
Cinic
Spongy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cinic

Usually, when I plug a new machine into a different monitor, I have to change the monitor settings to get the thing to fit correctly on the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if a new video card would have the same impact.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:24   #7
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Also like Cinic has explained if you install a new card sometimes you may have to adjust the monitor to the new graphics card.

Also if you have an older monitor like say 4 years old they used to have a habit of not having thier screens fill out completely.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:28   #8
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinic
Usually, when I plug a new machine into a different monitor, I have to change the monitor settings to get the thing to fit correctly on the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if a new video card would have the same impact.
Yep, me too. And yes everytime I have installed a different video card I have had to set the monitor up for it. This is very easily fixed, just remember it has a different setting for every resolution and every diferent refresh setting
RaiderRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 22:54   #9
jack19512

Just an update. The computer I am trying to install the Radeon 9000 card in is a 733 MHz gateway. I have 6 computers in my family, my personal computer is a 450 MHz gateway. I was curious, I wanted to find out if the Radeon 9000 would install in my 450 Gateway. It did with no problems. I am thinking it is a driver issue. If anyone has anymore ideas I would like to hear them. Thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 09:50   #10
Jtemple
Geek

Why is it you're avoiding stretching the screen via the monitor hardware? It's not uncommon to have to do that, especially when you install new hardware.

Also, you won't do any permanent damage or anything. You can simply re-adjust the monitor settings if you need to undo anything.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 22:08   #11
jack19512

Quote:

"Why is it you're avoiding stretching the screen via the monitor hardware? It's not uncommon to have to do that, especially when you install new hardware."

Simply because I have never had to do that when installing a video card before and don't think I will have to do it this time. This black area is about 1 1/2 inches around the monitor. No way should I have to try and adjust that much. We have the same size monitor and I didn't have to do anything special to get the card to work fine on my computer. When I do something I do it right.

Last edited by jack19512; 10-15-2004 at 22:12..
Old 10-16-2004, 11:05   #12
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Ummm....Jack?!

You were doing it right, old hoss....no worries there.

But the previous posters do indeed know what they are talking about.

When I replaced my old 5700 Ultra with my current 5900 Ultra vid card, the screen looked okay on the first boot but after I installed the VGA driver and the Forceware driver set, the screen was only half on the monitor!

This happens most times, believe it or not.

I just navigated my monitor to Horiz. Position and ran it to the right several inches, then after it was centered I switched to Horiz Size and expanded the display in order to put the edges of the desktop squarely against the sides of the monitor screen (neatly eliminating the 1 1/2" black border you noticed).

Then I expanded the screen vertically to fit the monitor.

BTW, a month ago I gave my GF's monitor back to her and bought a new ProView....

And sure enough I had to repeat the steps again.

And I also have to repeat them for every resolution and refresh rate change I set; the 1024x768 screen wasn't centered or fitted even though my 1280x1024 desktop was perfectly aligned.

See?

Best regards,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:09   #13
jack19512

fastvfr

Sorry, but in this instance you are not correct and all of the others that have suggested I adjust the monitor controls are not either. I know that sometimes the monitor might have to be slightly adjusted but not in this case. Yesterday I tried again and was successful. Not sure exactly what I did but this time it worked. I do appreciate everyones help though. Thanks