SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2004, 18:37   #1
AtlantisArms
Online Sales

Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

She writes with a passion and talent that is rare. She has only a coule fiction works. I've been reading some of ther non-ficiton, like "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal." One of her great co-writters is none other than Alan Greenspan (Chairman of the US Federal Reserve).
Anyone have other works of/like her's that are worthwhile?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

A Glock Resource, Store, and Showcase of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
AtlantisArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 22:13   #2
Flexmoney

The Fountain Head is a must read also.
Flexmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21   #3
Alexii
Janeway Forever

Actually, the Fountainhead should be read first then the Atlas Shrugged. It's not a sequel, but Atlas is Fountainhead in a larger scale. Excellent books.

After those, you can try We The Living (her first novel) and Anthem.

BOG #13
Alexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:25   #4
Flexmoney

I agree...that is the order I read them.
Flexmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:52   #5
Alchemy

Ayn Rand

Thanks for the reminder. I read her works about 25 years
ago, and I'm still impressed with her genius. It's about
time to read them again.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:17   #6
Wulfenite
The King

Ditto, time for Atlas again.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:28   #7
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Indeed, her works do not seem to age, so to say.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 13:27   #8
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

for a quick fun read, you might also try "anthem". ive enjoyed all of her books. especially atlas shrugged.
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:50   #9
DonCT

I like her philosophy...

But she is a terrible writer. I would describe her much like I would describe Dan Brown...interesting thoughts poorly written. Wooden, one-dimsensional characters. Simple, linear plots.

Also, has anyone noticed that her heroes are RAPISTS! And I'm not talking bogus "the girl drank too much and regretted it in the morning" date-rapists either. Her heroes are "whack 'em upside the head with a brick, shove a rag down their throat, hold them down and violate them then lure them to your construction site so you can blow them up' rapists. Don't believe me? Re-read The Fountainhead.

I love you Ayn, but sister, you've got issues
DonCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:39   #10
RiverVan
FREEDOM

I thought the fountain head was much better than Atlas Shrugged and was written at a higher level, for a smaller audience. Just my opinion. The Virtue of Selfishness is also excellent.
Old 11-11-2004, 20:52   #11
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Re: I like her philosophy...

Quote:
Originally posted by DonCT
But she is a terrible writer. I would describe her much like I would describe Dan Brown...interesting thoughts poorly written. Wooden, one-dimsensional characters. Simple, linear plots.

Also, has anyone noticed that her heroes are RAPISTS! And I'm not talking bogus "the girl drank too much and regretted it in the morning" date-rapists either. Her heroes are "whack 'em upside the head with a brick, shove a rag down their throat, hold them down and violate them then lure them to your construction site so you can blow them up' rapists. Don't believe me? Re-read The Fountainhead.

I love you Ayn, but sister, you've got issues
Haven't really read her books, but to me, that seems odd. Given the fact that her philosophy is objectivism and individual rights, I would find it odd that heros in her books would commit acts of violating such rights..
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 21:24   #12
RiverVan
FREEDOM

Actually rape fantasies are one of the most popular with woman. It’s only a fantasy, not reality. And Howard Roark did not shove a rag down her throat, or tie her up. And if you read closely she wanted it. You must ACTUALLY READ the book!
Although I can see where someone would have a problem with her writing from that point of view. Its funny, no one minded her writing other than it was to risqué or passionate, back in the day.
Old 11-12-2004, 14:42   #13
DonCT

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverVan
And Howard Roark did not shove a rag down her throat, or tie her up.
I didn't say tie her up, I said held her down, which he did. And I'll concede the rag-down-the-throat comment. I mean, if you have no problem with the head-smacking, hand-over-mouth scream stifling, forcibly taking and, later, dynamiting, then I must say I am surprised that gagging offends you. ;P

And I know she wanted it. Hence my thought that the author has some serious issues.

All I can say is I want you and 11 other Fountainhead fans on my jury. Rape or arson, doesn't matter. Roark did them both and apparently you have no problem with either. She was asking for it. ;Q

On a sort of related topic, some of the early albums by the rock band Rush have some pretty direct Objectivist references. My favorite is "Red Barchetta." Lots of bands have songs about driving fast cars, but only Rush would make a 6-minute tribute to a lone individual defying Big Brother-type government in his convertible. The entire "2112" album is also essentially an Objectivist manifesto.
DonCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 21:04   #14
RiverVan
FREEDOM

Your statements taken by themselves may make sense. But you really need to read the moral principals presented by Rand. Roark had created perfection in housing for the little guy, decent, yet affordable housing. Others were destroying both his dream as well as the reality of housing for the poor. Frankly I think you are missing the point to Rand. A totally free market that allowed for anyone to price gouge the poor to death and what was the result? Cheaper, clean, efficient and affordable housing bought and paid for by (in the fictional case) Howard Roark. Roark did not so much care about the poor, he wanted to challenge himself to do more, be better. And he did so by creating new architectural designs that benefited the poor.
You might want to read Thomas Sowell’s book “BASIC ECONOMICS a Citizens Guide to the Economy” It explains the same free market principals from a scientific instead of a philosophical/fictional point of view.
Old 11-29-2004, 15:02   #15
mac66
Plant the seed

I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged. However, 'tis a bit long winded. Rand (alright already, we get the friggin point!) could have cut a couple hundred pages without the long, long, long winded diatribes by her characters. I think John Galt's was 100 pages in itself.

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:17   #16
DAL

I adore her non-fiction, but her fiction leaves me cold--always has. "Captialism: The Unknown Ideal" was the first book of her's I ever read, and it's still my favorite, although "The Virtue of Selfishness" is damn good too. Her philosophy has become my philosophy, at least as much of it as I can comprehend. She had a way of getting to the root of an issue like no one else I have ever read or heard.

In a nutshell, Objectivism embraces unvarnished reality as ascertained by our five senses and interpreted and integrated into concepts by a conceptual, as opposed to a perceptual, mind. (Animals have perceptual minds.) In other words, see things as they are, throw the wishful thinking out, and organize your observations into a non-contradictory idea or answer. Well, that's my take anyway.
DAL
DAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:27   #17
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Quote:
Originally posted by DAL
I adore her non-fiction, but her fiction leaves me cold--always has. "Captialism: The Unknown Ideal" was the first book of her's I ever read, and it's still my favorite, although "The Virtue of Selfishness" is damn good too. Her philosophy has become my philosophy, at least as much of it as I can comprehend. She had a way of getting to the root of an issue like no one else I have ever read or heard.

In a nutshell, Objectivism embraces unvarnished reality as ascertained by our five senses and interpreted and integrated into concepts by a conceptual, as opposed to a perceptual, mind. (Animals have perceptual minds.) In other words, see things as they are, throw the wishful thinking out, and organize your observations into a non-contradictory idea or answer. Well, that's my take anyway.
DAL
I couldn't be able to describe it any better. I love it when people toss out the word 'extreme' when being debated using objectivism.
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 13:56   #18
Wayne D

Quote:
Originally posted by mac66
I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged. However, 'tis a bit long winded. Rand (alright already, we get the friggin point!) could have cut a couple hundred pages without the long, long, long winded diatribes by her characters. I think John Galt's was 100 pages in itself.
Agreed, that was my only complaint with the book.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 14:49   #19
grubinski
Iconoclast

I read it (Atlas Shrugged) in high school or shortly thereafter. That was a long time ago, but what I remember was that I got the impression she hated men. It seemed that the women were a lot stronger characters than the men, at least as far as being in touch with what they wanted.

At the time I read it, I had a little more faith in pure free market capitalism than I do these days.

Mike
Old 01-27-2005, 20:39   #20
Squaw Man Wolfer

DonCT

actually, i don't agree that she was "asking for it".

As I read it, she was "BEGGING FOR IT!!!!"

But I don't see it as a rape fantasy, per se.

She is yearning for a man who is worthy of her submission,

and not finding him among the

"Married with Children" twisted little hitlers.