SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2004, 19:49   #1
Wulfenite
The King

Outlook Express vs. Outlook 2003

Why doesnt 2003 have the "If... then do not download from the server" option in its mail rules. Outlook express has it and its the only way I've been able to keep my wife's mail separate from mine.

It kind of pisses me off that the cheep free program has better features than the paid for program.
Old 10-17-2004, 00:00   #2
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Google me this. Google me that.

Huh? What yo Talkin Bout Willis!

When you are connecting to a Pop3 connection and setting up the user info, click on the "More Setings" tab and then click on the "Advanced Tab."

See it now?

Where's my can of coke!
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:20   #3
Wulfenite
The King

Nah, that's not it. I knew about that check box. That's something you use on one computer that you might check mail on but that you dont necessarily want to be the central repository of mail.

I need Outlook to look at all the mail that sitting in my POP3 earthlink account, and only download the mail that has "wulfenite@earthlink.net" alias in the "To:" box and leave the mail that's addressed the "Wulfenite's Sweetie@earthlink.net" alias in the box so she can get it later on her computer.

This was easy in OE but I'm not sure 2003 can do it.
Old 10-17-2004, 22:57   #4
Cinic
Spongy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cinic

I'm a bit confused about your question. Are you both getting email from the same account?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:53   #5
Wulfenite
The King

We have one earthlink "account". That account allows multiple email "aliases", which are emal addresses. The way earthlink has things set up email sent to any of the aliases sits in the same account on the POP server. When you log into the account under any of the aliases the POP server tries to down load everything in the account's mail box to the computer.

OE allows you to filter the mail while its still on the POP so that only certian aliases get downloaded. Mail that doesnt pass the filter gets left on the POP till the account is interogated by a computer who's mail program doesnt filter for that alias.

Its really frustrating. It seems really stupid that Earthlink cant configure the pop server so that each alias can log in discretely.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:35   #6
Cinic
Spongy Member

Ahhh...now I understand.

Sorry, can't help you.

;f

I've setup plenty of POP3 accounts, but I've always had separate mailboxes to deal with.
Old 10-18-2004, 13:32   #7
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
No M$ app that I know of can deal with that consistently.

IE's OE6 sometimes does this properly, but then with time seems to 'forget' its settings and will need to be reconfigured (reminded?) what rules it was supposed to use. Then it downloads everything to one account and you get the pleasure of wading through the 'main' inbox and Move all of the other person's stuff to the other Inbox folder...oh what fun.

Why can't you simply set up a second account? Do those lovely Earthlunk folks charge extra for more than one e-mail account these days?!

Good luck,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 14:35   #8
ronin_asano

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfenite
We have one earthlink "account". That account allows multiple email "aliases", which are emal addresses. The way earthlink has things set up email sent to any of the aliases sits in the same account on the POP server. When you log into the account under any of the aliases the POP server tries to down load everything in the account's mail box to the computer.

OE allows you to filter the mail while its still on the POP so that only certian aliases get downloaded. Mail that doesnt pass the filter gets left on the POP till the account is interogated by a computer who's mail program doesnt filter for that alias.

Its really frustrating. It seems really stupid that Earthlink cant configure the pop server so that each alias can log in discretely.
sounds like earthlink is screwed up for you. i also have earthlink for my isp. however, i do not have that issue, even though i have 4 email addresses under my account profile. when i check the email for my address, it only downloads email sent to that address, rather than my mail plus any email my parents have in their individual email profiles.

have you complained to earthlink about this? have they told you that you must simply 'deal with it'? your situation has me curious, since i don't have that problem, and neither does anyone else in my area that has earthlink.
member #3240 top gun .357sig club
ronin_asano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 17:41   #9
Wulfenite
The King

So let me get this straight. You open up Outlook, you start a new account, you plug in one of the e-link aliases and the password, type in the pop3.onemain.com and smtpauth.earthlink.net stuff,save it, hit send/recieve. And you get _just_ the mail that's addressed to the alias..... not everything that's sitting on the server that's associated with your earthlink account?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:12   #10
Cinic
Spongy Member

That's the way our addresses work. Each user has their own login and password and they only get mail addressed to them.

We don't use the Cox ones at home, but they said we had 5 (I think) distinct addresses which have little to do with each other.

I say you give earthlink a call and see what they have to say. Unless you've already done that...but the whole situation sounds a bit weird to me.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:16   #11
ronin_asano

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You open up Outlook, you start a new account, you plug in one of the e-link aliases and the password, type in the pop3.onemain.com and smtpauth.earthlink.net stuff,save it, hit send/recieve. And you get _just_ the mail that's addressed to the alias..... not everything that's sitting on the server that's associated with your earthlink account?
that's right. it works like that for all 4 addresses i have under my account, but i don't use outlook. i use thunderbird, not that your choice of client should matter.

i also notice that your incoming server is different from mine. i use pop.earthlink.net. i have never heard of the one you mentioned. the outgoing server is the same.

i think i'd place that customer service call to earthlink.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:47   #12
Wulfenite
The King

We started out w/ JPS, JPS got bought by onemain, and they changed the outgoing server. Elink bought onemain and left us on the onemain.

I'll try to call them today.

One question about your passwords. We have the same password for all the aliases. When I go onto elink for mail or even onto their website to change account settings I can use any of the alias names as the login name but I have to use "the" password. Do your aliases all have different passwords?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:54   #13
ronin_asano

Quote:
We started out w/ JPS, JPS got bought by onemain, and they changed the outgoing server. Elink bought onemain and left us on the onemain.

I'll try to call them today.

One question about your passwords. We have the same password for all the aliases. When I go onto elink for mail or even onto their website to change account settings I can use any of the alias names as the login name but I have to use "the" password. Do your aliases all have different passwords?
yes. all 4 addresses have different passwords. since my email is listed as the 'owner' of course my login allows me to create new addresses, delete existing ones, and otherwise edit existing addresses, but each address may be used login individually through the earthlink webmail site or by using an email client.

based on what you said above, i think you have a configuration problem at the isp with all the confused servers. can you get any of your email by going earthlink's page, clicking on the webmail tab and logging in there?

Last edited by ronin_asano; 10-19-2004 at 09:58..
Old 10-19-2004, 12:00   #14
Wulfenite
The King

Yes, If I go ont elinks site, hit the web mail tab, I can put in any of the three alises I have active and "the" password. I get into the web mail inbox which will have mail addressed to any of the three alises that has not yet downloaded from the server.

I think you're right. This may be a problem in the set up and the transfers from jps to onemain to earthlink.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15   #15
ronin_asano

at this point, i'd have to agree. either they have a serious configuration problem, or as you said, you only have 'aliases' and not truly separate addresses.

i assume you cannot use pop.earthlink.net as your incoming server?