SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2004, 16:26   #1
TheGreatGonzo
Clown Hunter

My humble suggestions...

I love to read. It is probably my only real "hobby" other than shooting. That being said, I'm also extremely picky and very critical about realism when it comes to firearms, tactics, and police procedures in books. None of them are perfect, but as soon as I think it gets too bad...the book goes in the garbage. The Spenser novels are one of the few exceptions. Normally, a "flipped the safety off on his Glock" line will end a book for me. Spenser is such a cool character that he gets a pass.

The "Prey" series, by John Sandford. Excellent police series with an author that knows guns. Make a few little boo-boos here and there, but mostly well done. The hero (independently wealthy Minneapolis Police Detective who drives a Porsche 911) starts the series with a H&K P7, but switches to a Sig P220. He often references his gun collection that includes such goodies as twin Colt Gold Cups and a Python.

The "Atticus Kodiak" series, by Greg Rucka. Series about a bodyguard/executive protection agent in New York City. He carries an H&K P7, but keeps a S&W 6906 and a S&W J-frame around also.

The "Repairman Jack" series, by F. Paul Wilson. I'm not a science fiction or "spooky" book fan, but this series is GREAT. It is like "The Equalizer" meets "The X-Files". Takes place in New York City and his best pal sells guns out of the back of his sporting goods store. Jack is an "anti-hero" here. Great series.

The Detective Brian McKenna series, by Dan Mahoney. Dan is a retired NYPD Detective whom I have had the pleasure of meeting. He writes fictional novels that include many real persons and places that are part of the "cop scene" in Manhattan.

"Buzz Monkey" by Sam Hill.

Anyway, just a few of my favorites. Hope they open a few new doors for some bored readers.
Gonzo
TheGreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 20:58   #2
Casca

The "Repairman Jack" series, by F. Paul Wilson.

I will have to look up the author and series, sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks.

When I was younger used to enjoy the "Out of the Ashes" series.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:51   #3
Wmarden

Cool, I had read one of the repair man Jack novels, had no idea it was a series. I was kind of the impression that at the end of the first one he died.

ó Theodore Roosevelt
Wmarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:31   #4
TheGreatGonzo
Clown Hunter

Repairman Jack

I picked up one of his (F. Paul Wilson) books on a whim, at a book signing at a Border's in MD. I had no idea he was an accomplished horror/science fiction author. The one I got was the 3rd or 4th in the Repairman Jack series and I was HOOKED! I went back and started in order. I recommend you do the same. If you go to his website (www.repairmanjack.com), he has a page which lists the correct order to read the books in. Like I said, I've never been a fan of horror/science fiction books, but this series does not actually fall into that genre. It is very difficult to describe. The best thing I could come up with was the "Equalizer/X-Files" comparison.
Gonzo
TheGreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote