Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2004, 19:01   #1
dave5339

How can you kill a wireless router?

And yet another tech question for you all!

I just hooked up and older/used Linksys wireless router last Saturday. It had been running fine for a couple of days.

Comcast went down earlier today, my wife called them and they had her remove two corrupted files off the pc, (their service agent crap). Everything was fine.

Later in the day, our net drops again. My wife calls comcast again and they tell her that our 2.4 ghz phone has caused problems with our 2.4 ghz wireless router, ;g ;g How could that happen?? We get interference on our phone but as our desktop is wired right into a port on the router we didn't have any issues.

I suspected that I had configured the router for a static IP and Comcast had changed our IP, they had.

I get home, grab the new IP and head over to get into the setup screens for the router. No go. I can't access the setup screens nor can I ping the router.

What the heck is going on? Did it just decide to crap out on me today? I tried the reset button, no go. Anything else I can try before it gets thrown in the trash I spend more money?

Semper Fi
Old 10-20-2004, 19:17   #2
fiberpig

A lot of wireless routers, even when bought new have outdated software and that will affect how it works....so I would suggest going to their web site and trying to update it...it is a pain in the ars, but that would be the only thing I can think of...I'm wireless and once in a while have had glitches in the past...another I just thought of is make sure your connection is set up correctly, depending on what settings have been changed, your connection may have been reset to a defualt that is not set for your wireless connection...also do you have built in wireless or a card?
Old 10-20-2004, 19:18   #3
chevrofreak

Does your computer have an active IP lease from the router?
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!
View My Ebay Auctions <-- currently 0 auction(s) running
Threat Solutions UCR The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 20:07   #4
dave5339

Fiber,

I can't even ping the thing, let alone get a software update into it. It won't talk to my computer at all for whatever reason. Also this router is hardwired to my desktop, (the router sets on top of my PC case). The wireless portion is for the soon to be arriving laptop so I can surf or do other stuff from the living room when my wife is on the net on the desktop.

Chevro,

I think I had the router configured for a static IP initially. I know Comcast is showing a new IP address, I was going to go in and reconfig the router for dynamic IP to solve that issue but I can't even get the router to talk to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks and Semper Fi
Old 10-20-2004, 20:44   #5

Worse comes to worse - pop the router, as in perform a hard reset - it will set all the settings back to factory defaults. Then you will be able to access it at its default IP of 192.168.???.???, and set it back again.

Usually hard resets involve a paperclip depressing the reset button for 10-15 seconds - until the lights flash.
Member #1001 | 357Sig | Kalashnikov | TechTalk | Lone Star Glockers
SheepDog
0100010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 21:19   #6
Jtemple
Geek

If you can't get it fixed, get rid of that Linksys piece of junk and get yourself a US Robotics wireless router. You will not be disappointed.

I absolutely HATED my Linksys wireless router.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 21:25   #7
dave5339

Quote:
Originally posted by 0100010
Worse comes to worse - pop the router, as in perform a hard reset - it will set all the settings back to factory defaults. Then you will be able to access it at its default IP of 192.168.???.???, and set it back again.

Usually hard resets involve a paperclip depressing the reset button for 10-15 seconds - until the lights flash.
Been there, done that, it still does not like me......

Semper Fi
Old 10-20-2004, 21:43   #8
fiberpig

you have it hardwired to the desktop, so you able to get the internet ok on it? If not I would say it's fwkd...If all your settings are ok in the computer...I had a Belkin for 1st one...I know have a Lynksis also, no issues with my laptop, Toshiba with built in wireless, but my desktop I run a card...could there be an issue with hardware in you computer ? My card (belkin) has a crappy performance level to it and it's own software program...if that's not working right I have to re-install it...did you check your hardware to make sure it's working in your computer...maybe the driver is messed up...try rolling it back...

...if ya gotta scrap it don't buy belkin (they are crap), DLink is very high rated for their wireless products...

Last edited by fiberpig; 10-20-2004 at 21:47..
fiberpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 21:55   #9
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
What model of router is it? It is possible that someone got into your router and dinked around with some settings. Or worse yet, flashed it with some version of software that is not meant for that router just to kill it. Do the lights on it come on?

I would venture a guess that either your router is dead, or someone flashed it to kill it. My bet is on the first one.

If you deem it dead and you are going to replace it, you should give it to me, I am always interested in mysterious things like that.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15

Last edited by lomfs24; 10-20-2004 at 21:59..
lomfs24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 22:28   #10
ric0123

I'd be real suprised if it "died" although this is not out of the question. You said you have done the hard reset... unplugg, push in the reset button for 1-20 seconds, plug back in.. etc.. Afterwards, did you make sure to reset all of your computers IP setting back to dhcp and reboot? I've had to hard reset, and when I didnt fix the problem I realized that the routers gonna default back to 192.168.1.1 and dhcp. I've had linksys since the beginning of B wireless, and have had problems in the past. I still like them, but do reccomend doing the bios flash if possible. But, B wireless router runs about $40 these days, so its not work giving yourself an ulcer over

BTW, yeah 2.4 ghz cordless phones and wireless networks dont like each other, but unless your on your phone sitting next to your router, you should be ok. If your having problems, hit the "channel" button on the handset of the phone. If not, radio shack has a really good deal on 5.8ghz right now (shameless plug, I'm an RS manager)
ric0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 23:17   #11
lomfs24

I have never had a problem with 2.4 GHz phones. I have three handsets on two different bases in close proximity to my wireless router and have never had a problem. I am surprised too cause I have so much RF in my house it isn't funny. I guess I am just lucky that way.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
Old 10-21-2004, 00:54   #12
chevrofreak

Quote:
Originally posted by lomfs24
What model of router is it? It is possible that someone got into your router and dinked around with some settings. Or worse yet, flashed it with some version of software that is not meant for that router just to kill it. Do the lights on it come on?

I was just thinking the same thing.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!
View My Ebay Auctions <-- currently 0 auction(s) running
Threat Solutions UCR The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:24   #13
dave5339

The router is a Linksys BEFW1154. It's installed here in the house, the only people who have access to it are myself and my wife. I know I didn't do anything to it, the only thing she did was to pull the cable and move it to the NIC on the PC to get back on the net after the router died.

Semper Fi
Old 10-21-2004, 05:59   #14

Quote:
BEFW1154
Are you sure thats not a BEFW11S4? Also, can you tell if its ver1 or ver2?

Is your PC set for DHCP or does it have static IP addressing currently? (If DHCP - does it pull an IP from the router or are you getting a 169.xxx address?)

For the Linksys BEFW1154 - its default IP is 192.168.1.1 with the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

Set the PC wired to the router to similar -
IP : 192.168.1.2
SM : 255.255.255.0

Have you checked the cable connecting the PC to the router and verified its straight through and not a crosover?

Does the NIC in the PC pass a loopback test? (ping 127.0.0.1)

Has the NIC in this PC worked before?

Let me know if any of this helps...
SheepDog

Last edited by 0100010; 10-21-2004 at 06:04..
Old 10-21-2004, 06:12   #15

What they mean above when they think someone else could have flashed the firmware on the router, its wireless, a person doesn't need physical access to the device to make changes like that, depending on how its configured.

Unless you had changed the default IP, admin password, enabled WEP and setup a MAC address access list for only your PCs - its unfortunatly very easy for someone in your area to "see" your wireless signal, and perform not so nice things to it.

I hope you get it (this one or a replacement) going - we can help you get it setup securely.
SheepDog
Old 10-21-2004, 07:18   #16
dave5339

Hmm, some good ideas there.

I'm at work now so I'll have to check this stuff tonight.

Am also thinking of heading off to Fry's over lunch and looking to upgrade to a 802.11G with a built in firewall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks & Semper Fi
Old 10-21-2004, 09:10   #17
lomfs24

Go with a Linksys WRT54GS then flash it with the code from www.openwrt.org then you will have a complete little Linux Box gateway complete with all the toys you could ever want on Linux.

If you don't want to play with that. It's just a pretty good router to begin with.

Whatever you get, don't forget to change the SSID, turn off SSID broadcast, change passwords, etc...
Old 11-12-2004, 18:01   #18
dave5339

Well it seems I've finally solved what killed the old Linksys router.

Some background first.

I replaced the Linksys with a new DLink di524. Got everything set up and it was working great. Yesterday I get a call from Vicky that the net just went down and the new router isn't working. It had been running clean for 2+ weeks. I get off work and beat my head against the wall of trying to fix it. No go.

Today after work I stop by my local purveyor of electronic crap and pick up a new DLink. As I am walking to the front of the store I see on the box 1 year tech phone support. I pay for the new router and figure what the heck, I'll call Dlink and see what they say.

I get right through to an English speaker, (no outsourcing at Dlink!). He starts me on a complete power down, reset, power up cycle of everything, (computer, modem, and router). He had me let the system sit for a couple of minutes then start up the modem, router, and then the computer.

Everything came right up and worked right from the get go!

Now I just need to return the new router that I got, plus I had the tech support person at Dlink give me his boss's email. I need to send in a "at-a-boy" letter.

Semper Fi
Old 11-13-2004, 00:02   #19
Washington,D.C.

When we have power outages or surges I often have to unplug the DSL modem,the phone line,the ethernet cables and the power to the router.It's a hardwired router not a wireless.Sometimes it requires resetting even when the power doesn't go down.Here in the city I'm not sure about using wireless.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 00:08   #20
Washington,D.C.

The papers that came with my router said it COULD lose it's settings if it goes unpowdered for more than 8 hours.Once the power was out for 24 hours after a hurricane last year and it worked fine.I have talked with people that switch off their routers when they aren't home wihout trouble.Keeping them on can also cause problems but that can be fixed by switching off for a minute or so.I do switch off the dsl modem when I'm not using the internet.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote