Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2004, 19:59   #1
Glkster19

Early suicide season this year??

Any areas been having an abnormal amount of suicides lately? I ended my shift Thursday with 1 and started my shift today with 1. Two neighboring services had 1 last night and 1 this morning while I was out on mine.

Thought this crap didn't start until after Thanksgiving ;g
Glkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 21:30   #2
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

I have had a bunch of half a** attempted ones in the last few weeks. Unfortunately they were not successful. I had one in four point restraints transporting her 110 miles to a psych hospital Monday. It was the fifth time this year that she has made this trip. She accused my partner and I of not having compassion for her because she was sick. I told her she has secured her Disability check from the State this year. She can quite acting out for a while.

She reported us to the Nursing Supervisor at the Psych Hospital while demanding a smoke, Diet Pepsi, Large Coffee-fresh brewed. She did not want coffee that has been in a pot for a while.Three sugars and three creamers, Carnation not any generic stuff. The Supervisor was putting her in her place as we were leaving.
Old 10-23-2004, 21:35   #3
Glkster19

Don't ya love those ccfccp pts.

The suicide this morning was very sucessful, worst I've seen in 15 yrs.
Old 10-23-2004, 21:58   #4
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

I think the worst for me was Xmas morning 1989. Young mother, shotgun, kids in the next room.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:50   #5
clubsoda22

Since there's a university in my town, usually the extent of it is stupid chick learns her boyfriend from back home, who she hasn't seen in months is seeing someone else. drinks heavily, says she wants to kill herself, takes 4 tylonol, equally retarded drunk friends take her seriously. Get called in by campus safety, girl doesn't want to go, tell her if she doesn't go that i'll have the police arrest her, handcuff her, and haul her to the hospital instead. Girl reluctantly accepts. Bang out chart in 10 minutes, go back to bed.
clubsoda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:59   #6
Glkster19

ETOH and 4 tylenol? I wouldn't even transport that. Sorry Officer, she's not a threat medically. She can ride in a PD car to CMH or the ED if she needs medical clearance.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:19   #7
KennyC

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpig
I have had a bunch of half a** attempted ones in the last few weeks. Unfortunately they were not successful. I had one in four point restraints transporting her 110 miles to a psych hospital Monday. It was the fifth time this year that she has made this trip. She accused my partner and I of not having compassion for her because she was sick. I told her she has secured her Disability check from the State this year. She can quite acting out for a while.

She reported us to the Nursing Supervisor at the Psych Hospital while demanding a smoke, Diet Pepsi, Large Coffee-fresh brewed. She did not want coffee that has been in a pot for a while.Three sugars and three creamers, Carnation not any generic stuff. The Supervisor was putting her in her place as we were leaving.
OMFG! I know there are people that truly are sick, but I think there are many that do exactly the role-playing you indicate. We need to end the Welfare State!

KAC
KennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:22   #8
KennyC

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpig
I think the worst for me was Xmas morning 1989. Young mother, shotgun, kids in the next room.
That's horrible. Poor kids. And my daughter remembers/keeps bringing up her hamster that was found dead on Christmas morning...... I can't imagine those kids having to cope with that the rest of their lives. And you as well having to handle that call.

KAC
KennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:02   #9
locnload

We cover a small rural area where we see on average 1 suicide a year. Last Sunday night we found a guy in his car in a local park. Sounds like he took a months worth of perscription drugs in one setting. Cops say he had been there about two days.;P
locnload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:17   #10
Glkster19

I usually have 2-3 a year and I've had 2 in 2 shifts. Yesterday's had been there a few days, the round dented the roof from the inside and flaked off paint on the exterior and that had rust starting on it already.
Old 10-24-2004, 19:18   #11

I had a friend of mine commit suicide about 4 years ago.

he was over weight and had a crappy marrige. He lost the weight was dating and everything appeared fine for over a year. he called me on Sunday and told me he got 1st place for his age group (55)at a charity race to raise $ for cancer. he was really proud of it, he was overweight and now hes running in 1st place and he pride showed during the conversation.

Monday night the next day i get the phone call. he shot himself in the head and no note or explanation.

4 yrs ago and i still cant figure it out. I ate dinner with him ever Friday night at our favorite steak house for close to 5 years. It was and still is a shock.

Not sure how you guys deal with this on even a twice a year basis, its a real mind ******.

Andy

sorry its off topic but this thread made me think of him. he was a great guy, Vietnam Vet and my friend.
Old 10-24-2004, 20:42   #12
Glkster19

It's not a problem to me that you brought this up about your friend. We, like you, sometimes need to talk about the things we see/do. Sometimes people think we're morbid by things we say/do, but sometimes thats how people cope with some of the things we have to do. It is hard sometimes, especially since suicides are typically around x-mas. How do you comfort a family that has just witnessed or found out about an act like this and they're telling you that this present/that present under the tree is for my husband/daddy/uncle/sister, etc. Sometimes it is very difficult to do this line of work, but sometimes the end result of a call puts the biggest smile on your face or makes you damn proud you got into this line of work and you forget about the bad ones.

I will say that is really cool that you and your buddy had dinner every Friday night together. Many people that lose a friend or family member may say that they wish they could've had a last dinner with someone. There's friends from high school that I rarely even see much of, let alone have dinner with them.
Old 10-24-2004, 21:02   #13
groverglock
Guns & Hoses

Quote:
Originally posted by USCG1988
I had a friend of mine commit suicide about 4 years ago.

he was over weight and had a crappy marrige. He lost the weight was dating and everything appeared fine for over a year. he called me on Sunday and told me he got 1st place for his age group (55)at a charity race to raise $ for cancer. he was really proud of it, he was overweight and now hes running in 1st place and he pride showed during the conversation.

Monday night the next day i get the phone call. he shot himself in the head and no note or explanation.

4 yrs ago and i still cant figure it out. I ate dinner with him ever Friday night at our favorite steak house for close to 5 years. It was and still is a shock.

Not sure how you guys deal with this on even a twice a year basis, its a real mind ******.

Andy

sorry its off topic but this thread made me think of him. he was a great guy, Vietnam Vet and my friend.

We call this the S S S. That stands for the Suicide Serenity Syndrone. When a person has finally decided on the day and the way to commit suicide, they are releived.

The turmoil is over. They are a peace because they then have a way out of their troubles. Blood pressure returns to normal levels, heart beat slows down, anxiety disappears. The are actually happier than they have been in a long time.

People are lulled into a false sense of hope that life is better for the sufferer. Then on the appointed day.........

The survivors wonder what happened and what could have been done to see it coming or to stop it.
Old 10-24-2004, 21:04   #14

After reading my post i can see it may have been those dinners every friday night that kept his weight up. I never really thought about that before until i read what i posted.

I do have lots of good memories of him and more dinners than i can count. What i dont have is a reason / explanation, Which i supose is typical for the family and friends who are left to try to make sense of these situations.

Everything appeared to be better than ever for him, he was thin, fit, dating and much happier than he had been in ten years. I will never know why and that is the best answer i will ever get. something about time and healing wounds fits in here.

Andy

We suspect he was having trouble with Vietnam memories and lost friends, he really never talked about his experiences much.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:43   #15
clubsoda22

Quote:
Originally posted by Glkster19
ETOH and 4 tylenol? I wouldn't even transport that. Sorry Officer, she's not a threat medically. She can ride in a PD car to CMH or the ED if she needs medical clearance.
She threatened suicide and therefore cannot refuse treatment. It's just covering my ass by strictly following state protocols. I'd have to call medical command to get a refusal and call medical command to have the police transport if she's not resisting because it's a release to a lower medical athority (none).

Not worth the trouble, sit her on the bench seat, info, basic vitals and you're already at the hospital.
clubsoda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 20:35   #16
Glkster19

I agree not worth the trouble. We're allowed to refuse if there is no medical need for EMS. PD will call us out and say they need to go to CMH. We ask "Any medical issues?" They say "No." We say "Great, do you know the way."