SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:11   #1
saber41

SUSE 9.2 Live CD's Ready for Download

from Distrowatch

The upcoming SUSE LINUX 9.2 has yet to hit the retail stores, but the product's two live CDs (with either KDE or GNOME) and a live DVD are now available for free download: "This directory contains three different versions of Live media for SUSE LINUX Professional 9.2. LiveDVD.iso: the LiveDVD that comes with both GNOME and KDE desktops and a number of popular applications. LiveCD-Gnome.iso: This is LiveCD with only GNOME. LiveCD-KDE.iso: This is a LiveCD with only KDE. The LiveDVD supports the following languages: Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Greece, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovenian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish. The two LiveCDs only support English and German languages." The README file also contains instructions for burning the ISO images. Download: SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveCD-Gnome.iso (679MB), SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveCD-KDE.iso (676MB), SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveDVD.iso (1,302MB).

Download the SUSE 9.2 Live-Eval discs from here,
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-cd-9.2/
Old 10-24-2004, 18:39   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Any difference between this and the paid-for version other than documentation and support?

Their servers must be getting hammered for these downloads as I'm showing a 6 hour timeframe and I'm on a 3 meg cable feed. ;Q

Current speed... 30kb and dropping. :(

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member

Last edited by Texas T; 10-24-2004 at 18:55..
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:24   #3
Washington,D.C.

I believe these are live/run from CD/dvd isos without any installer.You should be able to do an FTP install of Suse 9.2 soon.I downloaded the two CD iso's.I don't have a DVD writer but I do have a CD writer.I want to compare the Gnome desktop to the KDE desktop.With the size of the DVD iso it looks like it might have more software than just the two desktops on the CD's.The very best live CD I have found is Kanotix 9A http://kanotix.de .Mepis 2004.03 is a good one too.Both have installers.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:24   #4
saber41

Washington, D.C. is correct, this is just the live version of SUSE 9.2, which runs off of the cd/dvd. There is nothing to partition or install. Using the live version is a good way to check out the distro without having to partition or install anything on your HDD, it is also a decent way to verify that your hardware configuration is compatible with the distro.

SUSE 9.2 is scheduled to be released in November, I'm assuming that SUSE will offer the Personal Edition as a free download just like they did for SUSE 9.1.
Old 10-26-2004, 17:25   #5
Washington,D.C.

Mepis 2004.04 has just been released. http://www.mepis.org This is a great live CD that can be installed. I still prefer Kanotix for it's true Debian kernel though.
Old 10-27-2004, 14:26   #6
Washington,D.C.

I think I found the differences between the Suse 9.2 CD's and the DVD.The DVD supports more languages.The CD's have only English and German.