Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:41   #1
clubsoda22

Sleep Disorders

I got it bad. To many varying shifts and college rolled into one. I find i'm having trouble sleeping through the night, but more often napping for short periods during the day, which is bad because i don't complete a full sleep cycle, and lack of REM sleep eventually drives you mad.

Right now i'm running on a red bull and a strong will to live. ;f

Anyone else?
clubsoda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:43   #2
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

I kind of have the same problem. To many calls in the middle of the night have gotten me to the point where I can't get a full nights sleep anymore. I probably average about four hours of sleep a night, with a two hour nap in the daytime!
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:41   #3
clubsoda22

also, anyone ever see a sleep therapist?

Prescription or OTC sleep aids aren't much help because you can't use them while working and can become dependent on them. Also, because i'm a volunteer, i couldn't respond from home during the night for an emergency that requires extra manpower while under the influence off a sleep aid drug.
Old 10-26-2004, 16:04   #4
Pa Glock guy

club soda, you might want to sit down and think about giving something up. Doing everything all the time and not getting a good nights sleep isnt going to get any better with drugs or a sleep therapist. Maybe cut down on a class or two and dont run so many calls. I know its probably not what you want to hear but it may help in the long run.
Old 10-26-2004, 16:08   #5
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Having problms this week.
12 hour night shifts on Sunday and Monday at the Hospital.
Straight to the FD for 24 Tuesday
Back for a 12 hour day shift at the Hospital Wednesday
24 at the FD Thursday
Meeting all day Friday with the ATF
Last 24 hour of my FD cycle Saturday.
off Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Old 10-26-2004, 16:30   #6
Cicero

I worked in a high-stress position for 6 years after a grueling graduate and undergraduate program. Four years away from it, I still have problems shutting down at night. If I'm lucky, I sleep about 3 hours, wake up, and sleep poorly for another 2.5-3.5 hours, have sleep drunkenness for a while, and eventually get to work.

I recently got a scrip for Ambien, which is awesome when you're using it - 6 hours per night of perfect sleep, wide awake and alert the next morning - but as another poster said you can't use it long term.

Bottom line - 13 years of taking sleep for granted, always assuming I could catch up later, and running full throttle will catch up with you and take years to fix.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 22:25   #7
ClydeG19

I found that you simply have to turn the pager off for two or three nights every couple of weeks to rest up. Two months ago or so I was getting up three hours early Saturday and Sunday three weekends in a row for some training I was attending along with having 2 or 3 all night type calls during that period. I was walking around in a daze for a few days when my wife finally cut me off and told me I wasn't allowed to turn the pager on for three days.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 23:12   #8
Slinger646
King of Sling

Quote:
Originally posted by Pa Glock guy
club soda, you might want to sit down and think about giving something up. Doing everything all the time and not getting a good nights sleep isnt going to get any better with drugs or a sleep therapist. Maybe cut down on a class or two and dont run so many calls. I know its probably not what you want to hear but it may help in the long run.
;Y ^6

Yeah, well I also have 2 toilets and 1 ass, what's it to ya??
Slinger646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:46   #9
clubsoda22

cutting down on classes won't work, i'm already looking at 5 years for my BSN. I do turn off the pager some nights, but then i get weekends like this one where i worked for 42 hours....
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53   #10
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally posted by clubsoda22
cutting down on classes won't work, i'm already looking at 5 years for my BSN. I do turn off the pager some nights, but then i get weekends like this one where i worked for 42 hours....
Since you're a volunteer and you don't do this for a living, cut back on the time you spend volunteering. Right now your education should be your first priority!
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 15:02   #11
glockster96
Lifetime Membership

Good comments so far.

I think this is a pretty common phenomenon with shift workers. I know that I hardly ever sleep worth a hoot. Pay attention to your body; if it's saying SLEEP RIGHT NOW, lay down and take a nap. Turn off the pager for a bit. It has somewhat worked for me. I've figured out that sleep is precious, and grab some whenever I can.

Blood goes round and round

Any variation on this is bad
glockster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 15:44   #12
clubsoda22

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleGribble
Since you're a volunteer and you don't do this for a living, cut back on the time you spend volunteering. Right now your education should be your first priority!
That's the nice thing about it, it's one of those few activities i can do and study at the same time. I study inbetween calls. The company i work for also has a "volunteer incentive program" so i make a little spending cash studying there on duty as opposed to at home.
Old 10-30-2004, 00:50   #13
Steamboat Bill
What've I done?

You might try Valerian Root. It is mild (you can still wake up and respond to calls) but it has helped me with that little bit of extra drowsiness needed to get to sleep and stay asleep.
Steamboat Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 00:52   #14
Steamboat Bill
What've I done?

;c A bedtime beer has also helped.
Steamboat Bill is offline   Reply With Quote