Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:28   #1
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Preferred Anti-Spyware??

I recently switched to XoftSpy, which seems to work well enough, but it has some operational drawbacks. What are you using, and are you satisfied with it?

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:09   #2
Tvov

We've been using AdAware for awhile now, and it seems to work great. We had Spybot for awhile, but it consistently missed stuff that the AdAware would catch, so I deleted it. I just started using SpySweeper, and so far it seems to work well, finding everything that AdAware finds. It is interesting to run a couple different programs to see what one missed and the other finds.

Both this programs are easy to use.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:38   #3
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum. The programs they recommend perform just as well or better than paid ones.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 13:01   #4
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NetNinja
Please read the sticky at the top of this forum. The programs they recommend perform just as well or better than paid ones.
Dayum! You'd think I just fell off the turnip truck, wouldn't you?? ;9

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Old 10-28-2004, 13:10   #5
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Well, Slim, I use BOTH Spybot 1.3 and Ad-Aware.

That way, you get a Second Opinion each time you scan, and unlike antivirus apps, there is no problem with having both of these apps installed simultaneously on your PC.

Just use one first, then scan with the other; don't run both scanners at the same time!

And, yeah, there is some good reference material in the sticky!

Good luck,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 13:28   #6

After updating and running Spybot and Ad-aware scans, I do the free scan at http://www.pestpatrol.com - it will list explicitly whats (still) on your box, files, cookies, registry entries. Then I take a few minutes to clean it up manually.
Member #1001 | 357Sig | Kalashnikov | TechTalk | Lone Star Glockers
SheepDog
0100010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 14:01   #7
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

all of my problems went away when i installed the adware defense program called "linux".
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 14:12   #8
Luke77
"Get Some!"

I use Ad-Aware SE, spybot, hijackthis, and CWShredder. That seems to cover just about everything.
Luke77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 14:22   #9
hile

Send a message via AIM to hile
Quote:
Originally posted by David_G17
all of my problems went away when i installed the adware defense program called "linux".
Haha.

Do one better; if you must use x86 hardware (and it's not on the Solaris HCL), use one of the BSD's so that you actually have a stable ABI. Me, I just don't use x86 hardware.
hile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:18   #10
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hile
Haha. Do one better; if you must use x86 hardware (and it's not on the Solaris HCL), use one of the BSD's so that you actually have a stable ABI. Me, I just don't use x86 hardware.
Me, I gotta straddle the fence. I do find Windblows useful for some purposes.

A couple of years ago I was negotiating with a guy in San Antonio for his quad Ross processors for my Sparc 20. He threw in a HyperSparc 30 with 1GB of RAM and twin 9GB HDDs as boot!! I wasn't familiar with the HS30 but I bit anyway. When I got it I did some investigating and found out it sold new in 1998 for $23,000. And I got it free.

So now I have two quad-CPU SPARC boxes with a total investment of $700. Not everything resulting from the Dot-Com collapse was bad.

-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Old 10-31-2004, 14:30   #11
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

;g

So far I've run XoftSpy, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware and SpyBot. Each one of them has found bitzen pieces that the other(s) missed.

Like I said. ;g

-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Old 10-31-2004, 22:19   #12
greenlead

I use linux, personally. Also, when I am running in Windows mode, I am careful what I allow on my system, it is unstable enough already.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:55   #13
hile

Send a message via AIM to hile
Quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Me, I gotta straddle the fence. I do find Windblows useful for some purposes.

A couple of years ago I was negotiating with a guy in San Antonio for his quad Ross processors for my Sparc 20. He threw in a HyperSparc 30 with 1GB of RAM and twin 9GB HDDs as boot!! I wasn't familiar with the HS30 but I bit anyway. When I got it I did some investigating and found out it sold new in 1998 for $23,000. And I got it free.

So now I have two quad-CPU SPARC boxes with a total investment of $700. Not everything resulting from the Dot-Com collapse was bad.
sweet!!!!! too bad those are sun4m
hile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:12   #14
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hile
sweet!!!!! too bad those are sun4m
Truth. Now I'm Jonesing for a 64-bit SPARC box. Maybe I'll build a 'server room' around an E-3500.

-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)

Last edited by Tennessee Slim; 11-01-2004 at 12:15..
Old 11-03-2004, 16:16   #15
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

AdAware, but make sure you have SE, it catches an incredible amount that 6.0 missed.

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 17:30   #16
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

I loaded AdAware SE Pro, updated it, ran it, then immediately after loaded and ran SpyBot. Spybot still found a hatfull of crap.

-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Old 11-03-2004, 17:34   #17
Washington,D.C.

AdAware and Spybot find a few different things.CCleaner also finds some spyware aswell as cleaning hidden files.When I use CCleaner with Spybot, AdAware doesn't find anything so there is some overlap.CCleaner is fast.It might not get the heavy stuff or update but it's a great program.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 17:35   #18
Washington,D.C.

Did you get the Spybot updates too?
Old 11-03-2004, 17:42   #19
Washington,D.C.

I just installed the beta version of the next Spybot.It's an unauthorized release but it searches for the same things as the current release version.It is faster.It scans quickly.
Old 11-05-2004, 15:46   #20
Jlarue
GOOO SOONERS!!!

Send a message via AIM to Jlarue
Although it is not free you should check out SpyWare stormer. I have used adaware and spot bot for a long time, and decided to try a pay for use title to see if it was anymore better. I ran spybot and then adaware and then stormer. Stormer found a lot of stuff that the other 2 had missed so now I stick to just stormer.
CRPA Member
GSSF Member
.40 S&W club #79
1911 Club #79
Jlarue is offline   Reply With Quote