Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2004, 13:32   #1
CAcop

Q abt "Rescue Me"

Okay we all know that TV doesn't get cop shows right. I was wondering how this attempt at the fire service did in terms of accuracy. Some things looked a little scetchy like the main character doing risky and out of policy things without being written up. It would happen in my PD so I assume it would happen in a fire house.

The fire scenes look okay but then again I haven't been in a burning building lately.
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 14:07   #2
N2DFire
Who Me ???

Well I managed to watch about 3 whole episodes of "Rescue Me" before I got totally bored with it. It's like every other TV show - they take about a years worth of drama and cram it into an hour long episode.

To date - aside from the old series "Emergency", the best Hollywood interpretation of our job (IMHO) has been the newly released Ladder 49. While still not 100% accurate - it dose give a good overall idea of life on the line. Again they had to condense the life and career of the main character into an 2 hour movie so allowances have to be made.

Also - for those who have seen the movie - if you go to the web site and view the movie trailer, there is a scene in the trailer that is NOT in the movie - I'm thinking Directors Cut on DVD sometime in the spring - can't wait.
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 17:45   #3
groverglock
Guns & Hoses

Rescue Me

Rescue Me is not the way we do things in my company. SAFETY is first. PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) is worn on all incidents.

SCBA's (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) are worn in ALL (IDHL)hazardous atmospheres, including car fires outside.

Two movies that are fun to watch in the fire station are Backdraft and Smoke Jumpers. It is a hoot to see what the director foists off on the public as what is real. We love to pick them apart.
Old 10-21-2004, 22:45   #4
Steamboat Bill
What've I done?

The thing that RESCUE ME has nailed perfectly, in my experiences, is the firefighter mentality.
With regards to the safety/use of PPE, etc. I think the size of your department can have some bearing. We tend to get away with more in the larger departments.
Steamboat Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 22:47   #5
Steamboat Bill
What've I done?

Let me add -- with "get away with more" I am not implying it is a good thing...just that it happens.
Old 10-22-2004, 15:55   #6
clubsoda22

Quote:
Originally posted by N2DFire
To date - aside from the old series "Emergency", the best Hollywood interpretation of our job (IMHO) has been the newly released Ladder 49. While still not 100% accurate - it dose give a good overall idea of life on the line. Again they had to condense the life and career of the main character into an 2 hour movie so allowances have to be made.
Good movie, and "emergency" was awesome. It was before my time, but i always watch the reruns.
clubsoda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:01   #7
smokshwn

I truly hope you are kidding about Ladder 49. The fire scenes were about what you could expect from hollywood in that you could be the technical advisor and the director would just be saying ahh no thats not dramatic enough. Joaquin Pheonix's character was pretty good, the closeness and camraderie that they tried to show was ok, but some of the acting by travolta was horrid. The last speech by travolta was probably the worst acting I have seen since Keanu Reeves in anything.

The one thing that Rescue Me does get right is the mentality and reality of station and home life.

It seems that if you have the qualities that make you a good FF then those same qualities tend to play hell with interpersonal relationships.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:56   #8
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I am not going to say precisley or in every way/manner was the show right on or correct. But overall I think they captured firehouse life, relationships, attitude fairly well.

Overall I gave "Rescu Me" a B+

I think you will never see a show or movie that completley captures being a firefighter. Whou would watch a 24 hour movie to see about five minutes of cool stuff?
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 00:55   #9
Steamboat Bill
What've I done?

You might want to make that a 72 hour movie if you are wanting 5 minutes of good stuff.
Old 11-04-2004, 21:50   #10
AKfirecop
JackBootedThug

Ladder 49 was a good movie, IMHO...more of a love story than a firefighting movie....but good. I thought it showed Firehouse life well...at least in my experiences.

And if Travolta had made the decision to pull his FF's out, and leave a fallen comrade, he would have had to stand in front of the door with an axe and say that he would kill anyone trying to go in...and hed have some takers too!! but again, just my experience
AKfirecop is offline   Reply With Quote