Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:30   #1
AWMP

Nikon D70 or D100

I know the megapixels are different, but I have heard the D100 just felt a little better, how is that for a technical rating.
New to SLR Digital and been reading everything I can get my hands on.
Which one? Or Different SLR? thanks
AW
AWMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 14:33   #2
General Sherman

I do not remember where but somewhere on the dpreview Nikon D70 forum the general comment was that the D70 was superior to the D100, at least in some aspects. Maybe it was in one of the early reviews of the D70.

see:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

Remember the heros of United flight 93 including Georgine Corrigan. "Lets roll"
General Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 20:34   #3
Jaegergirl
Proud2BAmerican

we recently purchased the d70 after several weeks of research. my husband, who is the photography buff in the family, felt the difference between the two were not important enough to spend the extra $$ on the d100. he also read in the dpreview forum that the d70 was better in some respects, as general sherman pointed out. we are very pleased with the d70.
Ohio Glockers #68
In memory of my brother, Rick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Proud parent of a Young Marine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jaegergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 20:55   #4
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

We have a D70 and it really works good. The D70 has more feature than the D100 only because it came along later. You can bet the next D100 upgraded version will have more features on its release.

The D100 is a little more rugged than the D70. The D70 has more plastic.
bobby_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 21:43   #5
Ducman

I have been very happy with my D70 if that helps any
Ducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 23:32   #6
AWMP

The only two things I dont like about the D70 is the body does'nt seem to be very rugged and you can't put a grip on the camera. I do like the 8 mega.
AWMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:56   #7

Here is a list I found in a photo forum:

D100 captures True colour rather than memory colour therefore the D100 colours are less saturated

D100 has less processing on the picture therfore the end result is better to work on. However the D70 gives you immediately pleasing results. eg D100 for wedding photographers will make the whites whiter than the D70.

D100 has uncompressed RAW files comparedto the D70 which does not.

D100 is built for professional use and has a metal body and a better shutter.

D100 you can use AA batteries with the MB-D100 Multi funtion battery grip.

MB-D100 also gives you a side shutter release and controls. The grip also balances the camera better for using bigger AF-S lenses.

D100 supports DX Speedlights with TTL. D70 only supports the new SB800 and SB600.

D100 viewfinder has more eye relief and a full reflex prism as opposed to a mirror, thereby giving a broader field of view.

On the D100 it's also possible to turn off the flash assist light.

D100 associates Tiff files.

Personally, the build quality and the ability to use RAW files is why I still own a D100 and not gone out and bought a D70. I also have a D1 and a D2H. Different tools for different situations,
Old 10-22-2004, 11:43   #8
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally posted by Runin Ronin
D100 captures True colour rather than memory colour
Not sure what you mean by "true" vs. "memory". Both D100 and D70 can use Adobe RGB colorspace. Is it something else you are referring to?
Quote:
D70 has RAW NEF files. They are compressed, but it is a lossless compression. Curious, why would that make a difference to you?

I am not defending D70 vs. D100. I own neither, but am interested in others' opinions.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 13:34   #9
fade2black
USMC Veteran

Quote:
]D100 has less processing on the picture therfore the end result is better to work on. However the D70 gives you immediately pleasing results. eg D100 for wedding photographers will make the whites whiter than the D70.
Don't know how true this is, white is white as long as the white balance is set correctly. I have never seen my D70 ever "process" any white balance setting.
Quote:
Like hwyhobo said, the D70 has RAW NEF.
Quote:
D100 you can use AA batteries with the MB-D100 Multi funtion battery grip.
I see this as pointless. That camera would absolutely destroy AA batteries. Any real photographer carries multiple EN-EL3 batteries for either of these cameras anyway.
Quote:
MB-D100 also gives you a side shutter release and controls. The grip also balances the camera better for using bigger AF-S lenses.
One is being developed as we (write) for the D70 by a 3rd party company that utilizes two of the EN-EL3 batteries.
Quote:
D100 supports DX Speedlights with TTL. D70 only supports the new SB800 and SB600.
You can use the DX Speedlights with the D70 but you lose TTL.
Quote:
D100 viewfinder has more eye relief and a full reflex prism as opposed to a mirror, thereby giving a broader field of view.
To my knowledge all Nikon DSLR cameras have the 1.5 field of view factor and are all the same.
Quote:
On the D100 it's also possible to turn off the flash assist light.
You can do this with the D70 in the advanced features in the setup.
Quote:
Personally, the build quality and the ability to use RAW files is why I still own a D100 and not gone out and bought a D70. I also have a D1 and a D2H. Different tools for different situations,
I agree with the build quality and have to say that the D100 is more of a "professional level" camera, but only for that reason. IMO, they are pretty darn close in everything but price. If you have a D100, I don't know why you would go buy a D70 anyway. Go get a D2x! ;f

The D70 has a faster shutter (1/8000 vs 1/4000), faster continuous mode (3fps vs 2.5), larger buffer, MUCH fast flash sync (1/500 vs 1/180), and a few other convenience type things. The D100 does have better autofocus and metering (I think).
Old 10-22-2004, 23:55   #10

UNCOMPRESSED vs COMPRESSED
True the D70 does have RAW NEF, it's compressed RAW NEF. The D100 has an option of compressed or uncompressed. The advantage of uncompressed is that the image will write faster onto your CF card. It takes longer for the camera to compress the image and then write it to a card. How much longer? I don't know but, it is noticable.

ABILITY TO USE AA BATTERIES
I agree, we all want to be well prepared but, let's say you are in the field. Your EN-EL3s die (this will happen faster in colder climates). You do not have any spares and you are miles away from your charger and you are days before you can charge batteries... your option with a D100... AA batteries. Your option with the D70... none.

SPEEDLIGHTS
It may not seem like this is too big of a deal but, I went through this situation where my SB28 mated with my D1 did not allow me to use TTL. Now that I use a D2H with an SB800... All I can say is TTL is a wonderful feature.

EYE POINT vs FOCAL LENGTH
True, Nikon DSLRs have a 1.5x focal length factor meaning your 50mm lens becomes a 75mm lens. But, the Eye Point of the two cameras are different. The eye point on the D70 is 18mm while the D100 is 24mm (which is excellent). A higher eye point allows for a brighter viewfinder and provides a more accurate viewfinder meaning, what you see in your viewfinder is what you get on the image. In addition, a higher eye point allows you to keep your eye physically a bit further away from the viewfinder and still allows for a bright view. This is very helpful to eye glass wearers.

QUOTE:
I agree with the build quality and have to say that the D100 is more of a "professional level" camera, but only for that reason. IMO, they are pretty darn close in everything but price. If you have a D100, I don't know why you would go buy a D70 anyway. Go get a D2x!

I agree. I personally do not need all the MP the D2X has to offer. The 6.1 on the D100 is plenty for me.

I am not trying to say the D100 is better than the D70 or vice versa. I was expressing my opinion and experiences. Both cameras are great tools.
Old 10-24-2004, 15:42   #11
fade2black
USMC Veteran

Quote:
I am not trying to say the D100 is better than the D70 or vice versa. I was expressing my opinion and experiences. Both cameras are great tools.
Me too You can't go wrong with ANY Nikon IMO.
Old 10-24-2004, 23:35   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by fade2black
Me too You can't go wrong with ANY Nikon IMO.
My kind of guy!!! ;f

Nikon is simply the BEST! I've had several film bodies ranging from the F3HP, N90s, F4s, and F5 to the digital bodies D1, D100, and D2H. All my glass have been Nikkors and they have all served me very well through the years. I agree that you cannot go wrong with either digital bodies but, if I can make one simple suggestion... please stick to Nikon lenses. Why buy a $1000-$1500 body just to put a $200 non-Nikon lens.
Old 10-29-2004, 16:30   #13
T. Harless

Quote:
I see this as pointless. That camera would absolutely destroy AA batteries. Any real photographer carries multiple EN-EL3 batteries for either of these cameras anyway.
I take exception to that. I am a "real" (read: pays my bills) photographer and one of the selling points of the D100 was the ability to use AA batteries in the vertical grip. One of my clients pretty much gave me a D1x and all the glass I could use but I wouldn't consider going out the door without two spare charged batteries. The D100 will go for weeks. Yes weeks and if it does crap out the same folks keep me in AAs. I use their D1x to carry the other lens.

Todd
Old 10-29-2004, 17:40   #14
Delta_3_63
Another FNG

Here's a nice side-by-side comparison of the D70, D100, and EOS 300D
Delta_3_63 is offline   Reply With Quote