Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2004, 19:29   #1
unit 900

Any Flashman fans?

Some of the best books I have ever read were written by George McDonald Fraser. These are the Flashman series. Sir Harry Flashman is a cad, coward, hound and also a British officer. He lives through many of the great battles and campaigns in the latter half of the 19th century ( Sepoy Mutiny, Crimean war, Sikh wars, first Afghan war, Little Big Horn, etc. etc.). Despite his faults, he always comes out on top and is venerated by a blind public. The books are all meticulously researched, usually having several dozen footnotes from contemporary accounts or straight research/history books. Try "Flashman", you will become hooked.
unit 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 16:54   #2
conwic

Flashman

Definitely a great series. Well worth the read. The historical research is outstanding. Very accurate. So much so, in fact, that when the first book came out ( Flashman), a number of reviewers thought it was non- fiction. However, the author never lets the facts get in the way of an amusing read. My favorite is " Flash for Freedom.".

You might also want to read his earlier books about his days as a young officer in the immediate post WW2 British Army, commanding a Scottish platoon which included the world's dirtest soldier. There are two or three, but the only title I can remember is " The General danced at Dawn". Just as amusing as his Flashman books IMHO.

Regards-conwic
conwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 20:28   #3
unit 900

conwic;
The McAuslan books were a hoot. The titles are: The General Danced at Dawn, McAuslan in the Rough and The Sheikh in the Dustbin. I also greatly enjoyed GMF's autobiographical book about his service in Burma in WW2, " Quartered Safe out Here". A google search should find the McAuslan books in paperback. I got them a few years ago after reading the hardbacks from the library. Regards.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:46   #4
conwic

Thanks

Thanks for the titles. I have not read "The shiekh in the dustbin" and was not aware that the series was in paperback. I'll certainly do that search for it.

Thanks again.

Regards-conwic
conwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 23:50   #5
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
If you enjoyed reading all about "Flashie", read some of Bernard Cornwell's stuff. His protagonist is Sharpe, and one of the titles would be "Sharpe's Eagle", just as an example. He is terrific, and very detailed. Try it, you'll be glad you did.
Old 11-21-2004, 18:46   #6
unit 900

RetDet;

I have read all the Sharpe books, as well as The Archers Tale. If you get a chance, look for the DVD versions of the Sharpe novels. I saw them many years ago on Public TV and they got me reading the books. Sharpe is played by Sean Bean, who you would recognize from Ronin, Patriot Games and Boromir ( LOTR). Much as I enjoyed Sharpe, the level of writing struck me as at a lesser level than Flashman and the Aubrey/Maturin books of Patrick O'Brien. Still a very good read.

BTW, your profile and mine are pretty similar: retired copper, like photography, shooting and reading.
Old 11-21-2004, 22:51   #7
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
I just learned about Patrick O'Brien and intend to make his stuff my goal on the next trip to the library. Apropos of nothing, I'm just finishing Robert Leuci's new book about his adventures in the corruption of New York PD. What a mess. Glad I wasn't there.