Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2004, 23:45   #1
Glock-und-spiel

Film!!

Well guys I guess I am the luddite around here. I am a died-in-the-wool film user. I use a negative scanner for my 35mm stuff (Canon EOS 1n) Maybe someday I will buy a Digital body for my Canon lenses.
I also collect cameras and I completed a set of the ones I lusted after as teenager in the 70's.

Leicaflex SL
Canon F1 (original)
Nikon F
Nikon F2

You haven't lived until you have felt the controls on a Leicaflex SL

Dwight
Old 11-04-2004, 00:06   #2
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

hehe wanna buy by n70 body so I can go digital?

welcome to the forum
Clyde in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 00:14   #3
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

never mind, I just checked what n70's go for used.... damn did that thing depreciate.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:13   #4
Glock-und-spiel

Film!!!

I have a Nikon 6006 that I was kind of disapointed in the finish (it fell off the back) This drove me back to Canon (I had an FTb when I was in High School) You can save alot of money on the digital thing by getting a negative scanner for around $300. The quality of 100 ASA print film and the scanner will put many very expensize Dig. cameras in the shade. On the Canon V Nikon front I like canon becuse the AF motors are in the lenses not the body. The Canon USM lenses are very fast and silent. I'm not sure about how the new Nikon silent wave motors work.

Yours,

Dwight
Old 11-05-2004, 14:01   #5
Litespeed_67
LnL operator

I avoided the digital bug for years but finally bought an EOS10d because it broke the threshold of 1500 that I had previously set. I am somewhat happy with it so far for most things but when stuff gets serious it takes a back seat to my EOS1N-RS every time. By buying film in bulk, using the film scanner and most importnantly, only having the negatives developed with no prints the film isn't all that expensive but still lacks a bit of convenience. Of course when I do black and white I can have the film developed in about 30 minutes and ready to scan in a couple of hours. I'm still waiting to set up a full darkroom because nothing beats handmade B&W prints.

As for my teenage cameras, I would like to get the following but know I never will find some of them:

Canon F1 High Speed 1972 Model
Canon F1 High Speed 1984 Model
Nikon F3HP
Mamiya 645 (already have)
Contax RTSIII
Pentax LX
Bronica SQAi
Old 11-06-2004, 05:58   #6
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

The whole idea of developing the negs then scanning them right into the pc is new to me. I always thought you had to get prints and scan those.

What are some good negative scanners? I have a scanner, but I don't know if it will do negatives... it's not even hooked up. It's an HP 4200C.

For the price of a new digital SLR I can get instead a negative scanner, a new lens or two and a ton of film.

or, a neg scanner and a new glock with a couple thousand rounds~

thanks for the imput.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:01   #7
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

Quote:
Originally posted by Litespeed_67
I'm still waiting to set up a full darkroom because nothing beats handmade B&W prints.
you ain't kidding... my own darkroom has been a dream of mine since my teens.

I spent countless hours in the darkrooms at my highschool.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:59   #8
Litespeed_67
LnL operator

Been there done that, I probably took over 5000 pictures while in high school. I'm currently set up to develop the B&W film as that's a no brainer but am having difficulties deciding which enlarger to get. It was easy until I got the Medium Format camera but I'm hoping to have it within a year depending on where my job takes me.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:29   #9
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

so, what are good some good brands/deals on negative scanners?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22   #10
hile

Send a message via AIM to hile
I thought I was the only one in here who still shot film. Nice to see there are others.
hile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 22:46   #11
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde in CO
so, what are good some good brands/deals on negative scanners?

bueller?

bueller?

bueller?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:38   #12
BLS439

Clyde in CO -

It depends on what size film you shoot. If you stay with 35mm then you could get anything.

check out www.bhvideo.com , www.calumetphoto.com , www.keh.com

The Dimage scanners are great, I currently have a cheaper flatbed scanner with attachment. This works - but not nearly as well as the other more pricey scanners.

If you shoot medium or large format photography, you might want to check with ou nearest Pro Photo Shop. I have been looking for one to handle my 6x7 negs for a while.

--BLS439
BLS439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 17:33   #13
Charlie W

Clyde,

I'm using the Minolta DiImage Scan Elite II and have been happy with it for a couple of years now. They have come down in price quite a bit since I bought mine. I gave around $800 for mine and it scans at 2900 dpi. The newer Scan Elite scans at 5400 dpi and sells for around $650 at B&H and Adorama. Minolta also has the 'Dual Scan' which sells for less than $300. A friend of mine has one and it produces scans just as good as my more expensive Elite model, it just has less software included.

Epson has two flatbeds that are supposed to be good at film scanning too - the 4180 and the 4870. These might fit what you need, but most reviews and users find that a dedicated film scanner makes better film scans.

Check these sites for reviews:

www.robgalbraith.com
www.imaging-resource.com
www.dpreview.com
www.photographyreview.com
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 23:15   #14
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

excellent!

thanks folks.
Old 11-13-2004, 00:41   #15
Litespeed_67
LnL operator

For an economical film scanning model, you can check out the Pacific Image brand also. I'm pretty happy with mine and using the Silverfast software (can be purchased in the package or seperate) the scans come out great. I'm still not happy with B&W scans yet but it's getting there.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:55   #16
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

wow, these scanners have APS adapters.

maybe that silly ELPH I have won't be useless after all~
Old 11-13-2004, 22:33   #17
Glock-und-spiel

film!

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III and I love it. It has now been replaced by the IV I believe. I highly endorse B&H photo. They have never messed up an order or even been late. They are not always the cheapest, but I trust them. As for finding the cameras of your youth, they are out there. Lots of Bronicas at KEH. I am mostly onto pre-AI Nikons (F, F2, and Nikkormats) and lots-o-lenses. I do belive that the best modern auto-focus system is Canon. Every lens has it's own motor and the USM ones are ultra fast and quiet. Nikon has the new silent wave motors, but I have not tried them.

Yours,

Dwight
Old 11-13-2004, 22:40   #18
Glock-und-spiel

Film!

I am not sure, but I think you will get higher quality prints with a film scanner than most digital cameras. I don't think even the best have equaled the resolution of 100 ASA film. This however is subject to weekly change. I can tell you the digital back for my Sinar View Camera is about $25,000! That would buy whole bunch of Glocks!!!!

Dwight
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06   #19
Litespeed_67
LnL operator

Quality and resolution have probably already been duplicated with digital now with the Latest Canon offerings, but the feel of film vs digital will likely never be replicated.